In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby neighhey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Catalina wrote:Condolences on your loss, Neighhey. I wish the vets and researchers would find a way to treat (or better even, prevent) laminitis, especially when it occurs in the other front leg. RIP Sassagoula Springs.

Thanks, Catalina.

I wish so too.
neighhey

Postby serenassong » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 am

neighhey wrote:This one hurts a lot to put on here...

Sassagoula Springs (ARG), G1 winning daughter of Grand Reward in Argentina, lost her battle with laminitis yesterday. She had been injured in a race back in January and was recuperating with the hopes of being a broodmare, when she developed laminitis in her good front leg.

It's funny how a horse you're never going to meet and is a whole continent away can find such a place in your heart, but that's what she did to me. She was brilliantly fast and capable of exhibiting that speed on both turf and dirt. Sassa had a big following in Argentina and was known as "La Reina de la Recta" (The Queen of the Straight). She was also a "family" horse, in that her breeder/owner has a small racing stable and broodmare band, and she was very special to them.

I would highly recommend watching this video that was put together after her retirement. Maybe you'll see just how special she was...

https://youtu.be/nFDmP5W2-kk

Between this and finding out about Srta Aleidy C just recently, Serena's family lost 2 very bright stars- both were the darlings of their corner of the world.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Beverly Lewis- owner of Serena's Song among others
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread

Hoping that her son and the trust continues to race in the Lewis colors.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 pm

serenassong wrote:Beverly Lewis- owner of Serena's Song among others

It sounds like they'll continue to maintain the operation at the current level. She was an amazing lady!

The Beverly Lewis You Didn’t Know
...Lukas said that there came a time when Bob Lewis had decided to sell Serena’s Song, who, while a good broodmare, was not a superb one.

“This was when Serena’s Song was about 14,” Lukas recalled, “and Bob said to me, ‘Wayne, maybe we should hedge our bets and send Serena’s Song down the road.’ I’ll always remember him saying that because ‘send her down the road’ was not an expression you hear every day. We were at dinner and there was a long silence and then Beverly said, ‘Bob, if you send Serena’s Song down the road, you’re going with her.'”...

...So Beverly and Jeff Lewis decided to downsize the stable, but one thing was off limits. Not only would Serena’s Song never be sold, but neither would any of her daughters. It was very important to the family to keep her legacy in tact. Though she has been pensioned as a broodmare, there are daughters and granddaughters of Serena’s Song still owned by the Lewises and they represent the cornerstone of what’s left of their operation. Jeff Lewis said his family still owns 12 horses, four broodmares, four racehorses and four yearlings or weanlings. All, in some way, are connected to Serena’s Song.

One of those horses is the filly Miner’s Cat (Mineshaft). Her dam is Pure Symmetry, who is by Storm Cat out of Serena’s Song. Saturday, the day after Beverly Lewis died, Miner’s Cat won an allowance race at Keeneland.

“That happened one day after my mother went to heaven,” Jeff Lewis said. “I can see my parents up there cheering her on and my dad using his magic pixie dust. I like to think he made it happen.”

While some have described the passing of Beverly Lewis as the end of an era, her son disagrees. He says he has no plans to increase the size of the stable, but is not about to let it go out of business. He said he would like to maintain the sort of numbers they already have and keep the focus on preserving Serena’s Song’s bloodlines.

You can bet that’s a plan that was made with Beverly Lewis’s input and blessing before her death. Now that we know what we know, it seems obvious that she would not just stand on the sidelines and quietly acquiesce without having a say. Not her.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/the-beverly-lewis-you-didnt-know/
Sparrow Castle

Postby neighhey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

I had the good fortune to meet her at the 2002 HOF ceremony. She was the epitome of kindness to me, a nervously awkward college student who had spent several minutes just getting up the.courage to walk over and say "hello". I'm so glad I had the chance to tell the Lewises how much Serena's Song meant to me and to thank them for being such gracious ambassadors for the sport.
neighhey

Postby serenassong » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:

It sounds like they'll continue to maintain the operation at the current level. She was an amazing lady!

The Beverly Lewis You Didn’t Know
...Lukas said that there came a time when Bob Lewis had decided to sell Serena’s Song, who, while a good broodmare, was not a superb one.

“This was when Serena’s Song was about 14,” Lukas recalled, “and Bob said to me, ‘Wayne, maybe we should hedge our bets and send Serena’s Song down the road.’ I’ll always remember him saying that because ‘send her down the road’ was not an expression you hear every day. We were at dinner and there was a long silence and then Beverly said, ‘Bob, if you send Serena’s Song down the road, you’re going with her.'”...

...So Beverly and Jeff Lewis decided to downsize the stable, but one thing was off limits. Not only would Serena’s Song never be sold, but neither would any of her daughters. It was very important to the family to keep her legacy in tact. Though she has been pensioned as a broodmare, there are daughters and granddaughters of Serena’s Song still owned by the Lewises and they represent the cornerstone of what’s left of their operation. Jeff Lewis said his family still owns 12 horses, four broodmares, four racehorses and four yearlings or weanlings. All, in some way, are connected to Serena’s Song.

One of those horses is the filly Miner’s Cat (Mineshaft). Her dam is Pure Symmetry, who is by Storm Cat out of Serena’s Song. Saturday, the day after Beverly Lewis died, Miner’s Cat won an allowance race at Keeneland.

“That happened one day after my mother went to heaven,” Jeff Lewis said. “I can see my parents up there cheering her on and my dad using his magic pixie dust. I like to think he made it happen.”

While some have described the passing of Beverly Lewis as the end of an era, her son disagrees. He says he has no plans to increase the size of the stable, but is not about to let it go out of business. He said he would like to maintain the sort of numbers they already have and keep the focus on preserving Serena’s Song’s bloodlines.

You can bet that’s a plan that was made with Beverly Lewis’s input and blessing before her death. Now that we know what we know, it seems obvious that she would not just stand on the sidelines and quietly acquiesce without having a say. Not her.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/the-beverly-lewis-you-didnt-know/

I feel the same way, Beverly. Hope that you are chatting up Penny and walking hand in hand with Bob
serenassong

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:31 pm

RIP My Honey Laurie.

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Replying to @ShelleyBlodgett @CaribbeanOTTB
We @CaribbeanOTTB are very sad 2 report My Honey Laurie was euthanized today. She arrived w hind abscess, but dev founder in both hind feet.

Replying to @ShelleyBlodgett @CaribbeanOTTB
We’re sorry we couldn’t heal My Honey Laurie & go to 4ever sanctuary home in NY. She was fed, bathed, given pain meds & loved while with CTA.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Prairie Bayou » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:28 pm

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby Flanders » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 am

Full release here:
https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/champion-bumper-winner-fayonagh-suffers-fatal-injury-on-gallops/306001

The above article about Fayonagh also mentions that 4yo G1 Hurdler Mega Fortune brokedown earlier this month and was euthanized.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/grade-1-winner-mega-fortune-suffers-fatal-fall-at-limerick/303816
Flanders

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 am

Updated list. The new additions start with Ryan's Gift (80-19-18-9 Earnings: $439,805). :cry:

Sadly, we have report from equine vets that 33 TBs euthanized in PR since hurricane Maria, mostly due to founder & colic RIP @CaribbeanOTTB
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?