In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby serenassong » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 pm

mariasmon wrote:Lure has died, per Claiborne tweet:

https://twitter.com/claibornefarm/statu ... 7923059714

Just saw that, RIP
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Bloodhorse has a nice photo with their brief piece. What a handsome horse.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -at-age-28
BaroqueAgain1

Postby TapitsGal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

It saddens me that Lure is gone. Another legend lost, but he did live a long fulfilling life and was greatly loved. No doubt a devestating day at Claiborne today
TapitsGal

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

OldFriendsCabinCreek‏ @OldFriendsCC
Today we lost sweet Midnight Secret. Somehow he fractured his hock beyond repair. He was such a warrior in racing, good boy, & beautiful ambassador for Retirement. So loved & missed deeply @ dinner tonight. This photo reflects the depth of the ❤️ of horses. Run free Midnight...
Midnight Secret is the dark brown horse. Run with the heavenly herd, ol' warrior.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ziggypop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].

125 times? That's appalling.
Ziggypop

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

I've seen those numbers with Standardbreds, but the stress of racing on a harness horse is lower than on a TB. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Flanders » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.

Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?

Shame Salientito didn't get to enjoy his retirement. Hopefully the rest of the horses brought from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria continue to improve.
Flanders

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Flanders wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.

Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?

Perhaps. But there's so little money in South American racing that horsemen probably run their horses often just to keep whatever they can manage to scratch out coming in. Not sure, but I would bet the tracks there pay out down to last place, like many of our minor tracks do.

I follow UK racing, not South American, and one of the first things that stunned me about the game in the UK is how small the purses are for everything but the "listed" and "group" (stakes) races. When Godolphin has a promising 2-year-old, they run him or her in a maiden race at someplace like Newbury or Haydock for a purse of around $7,000, because that's what maidens run for in England -- no $60,000 to $80,000 NYRA-style MSWs to be found there, not even at the top courses. And the purses really don't get much better unless you have a really top class horse. So you have horses over there running twice a week. I've seen some run two straight days, once on a synthetic track like Kempton, the next on the grass somewhere else. Even the jumpers do the back-to-back thing quite a bit.

So are we babying our thoroughbreds on this continent, are the Brits (and South Americans) being unnecessarily cruel to their thoroughbreds, or are they just breeding a tougher thoroughbred elsewhere?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?