In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.

More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old-Friends-Newsletter--Goodbye-Duke-Ora---Swan-s-Way.html?soid=1102520673781&aid=wxRdAuGXjpI
Sparrow Castle

Postby Le Beau Bai » Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am

Ugly breakdown for Aragonite at Belmont yesterday (4/30). DRF confirmed it was fatal.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby Kelly Kip » Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 am

Kelly Kip

Postby Diver52 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

∆∆∆

Five years ago.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.

More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old-Friends-Newsletter--Goodbye-Duke-Ora---Swan-s-Way.html?soid=1102520673781&aid=wxRdAuGXjpI

Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BlindLucky » Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.

I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.

I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.

I suppose, then, that a wealthy man like Mr. Mellon could have afforded to take a Virgin Islands vacation with a pregnant broodmare as his companion. He wasn't known as an eccentric, however, and if this actually happened I'm afraid of what other skeletons might be in his closet! :lol:
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Private Thoughts » Sun May 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Rapper Dragon - http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/221473/hong-kong-races-marred-by-tragedy

What a beautiful and talented horse, such a shame.
Private Thoughts

Postby neighhey » Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Zarkar, son of Zarkava, has died in Argentina after fracturing his tibia.

http://www.turfdiario.com/triste-notici ... -numancia/
neighhey

Postby Life At Zen » Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 am

Heartbreak City broke down in a workout.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?