In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Catalina » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:40 am

Poor Unstoppable U.
Catalina

Postby stark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

For Immediate Release--
Press Statement from Paul and Zillah Reddam/Reddam Racing LLC Regarding Champion Irap.
October 20, 2017
It is with great sadness that we heard today that Irap has developed laminitis. Not wanting him to suffer, we have made the decision to euthanize him. We would like to thank Dr. Dean Richardson and his team at New Bolton for doing their best with Irap, as well as Dr. Ryan Carpenter for showing his compassion by jumping on a plane when he learned of Irap’s injury. We also want to thank Doug O’Neill and his entire staff for the wonderful care they took of Irap throughout his racing career. Irap provided many thrills over the past year and he changed from maiden to graded stakes winner overnight. He developed into a top race horse who carried himself with tremendous dignity and a level of class that is rare. We count ourselves lucky to have been part of his life for an all too brief time. - The Reddams
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Aw #$^$%&. :(
Such a quick decision...the laminitis must have been really bad.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ziggypop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm

On crap. How sad.
Ziggypop

Postby Prairie Bayou » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Goodbye Irap you courageous boy. :(

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby PJMIII » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 pm

stark wrote:For Immediate Release--
Press Statement from Paul and Zillah Reddam/Reddam Racing LLC Regarding Champion Irap.
October 20, 2017
It is with great sadness that we heard today that Irap has developed laminitis. Not wanting him to suffer, we have made the decision to euthanize him. We would like to thank Dr. Dean Richardson and his team at New Bolton for doing their best with Irap, as well as Dr. Ryan Carpenter for showing his compassion by jumping on a plane when he learned of Irap’s injury. We also want to thank Doug O’Neill and his entire staff for the wonderful care they took of Irap throughout his racing career. Irap provided many thrills over the past year and he changed from maiden to graded stakes winner overnight. He developed into a top race horse who carried himself with tremendous dignity and a level of class that is rare. We count ourselves lucky to have been part of his life for an all too brief time. - The Reddams

What a shame.
PJMIII

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 am

Social media star Horsey McHorseface dies
Social racing star Horsey McHorseface has sadly passed away at his new home in Queensland.

Horsey McHorseface’s social account reported that the 4YO had sadly passed away during the week.

Horsey McHorseface was no star on the track but he took social media by storm primarily because of his name which was based on a poll that ran for the Polar Research Vessel in which Boaty McBoatface headed the polls but did not stick with organisers who later called the vessel RRS Sir David Attenborough.

Horsey had six starts for a win and two placings.

Horsey McHorseface’s new owner posted the below message to his Facebook account yesterday:

https://www.justhorseracing.com.au/news/australian-racing/social-media-star-horsey-mchorseface-dies/410137

Horsey McHorseface
Yesterday at 7:53pm ·
RIP Horsey. Below is a tribute from the new owner Rangi who loved Horsey dearly.

My beautiful Horsey

Thank you, my boy for coming into our lives and being a part of our family. I am missing him so much and he has left such a huge hole in my heart

There’s just not enough words to explain how much he meant to me, the tears will eventually stop but my love for him won’t.

I feel so proud and privileged to have had him in my life, if only for a short while. People laugh at me for buying him but I didn’t care. The joy and happiness he gave us over the past few months was priceless.

Horsey had a gentle and friendly nature with the kindest and warmest eyes. He also had a playful and cheeky personality. But what stood out the most about him was his fighting spirit.

Horsey arrived on the Gold Coast in July to our trainer Mary Ann Brosnan and husband Arron. He settled in really quickly and adapted quite well to his new home and new family.

It was such a joy to watch him training with Mary and Arron over this time, he did everything that was asked of him. He even enjoyed his early morning swim in the canal while being towed by Arron in his tinny.

As I have a stable hand license this allowed me to bond more closely with him and be more hands on with him. Which I absolutely loved and now miss terribly.

That’s why this is really hard, yes he was a horse but he was so much more than that. I will never forget him and will cherish every moment and memory we shared.

He was truly loved by everyone at the stables and anyone who met him.
Sparrow Castle

Postby neighhey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm

This one hurts a lot to put on here...

Sassagoula Springs (ARG), G1 winning daughter of Grand Reward in Argentina, lost her battle with laminitis yesterday. She had been injured in a race back in January and was recuperating with the hopes of being a broodmare, when she developed laminitis in her good front leg.

It's funny how a horse you're never going to meet and is a whole continent away can find such a place in your heart, but that's what she did to me. She was brilliantly fast and capable of exhibiting that speed on both turf and dirt. Sassa had a big following in Argentina and was known as "La Reina de la Recta" (The Queen of the Straight). She was also a "family" horse, in that her breeder/owner has a small racing stable and broodmare band, and she was very special to them.

I would highly recommend watching this video that was put together after her retirement. Maybe you'll see just how special she was...

https://youtu.be/nFDmP5W2-kk
neighhey

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Vegas Vic. :(
Abel Tasman had just left the gate for her workout during the 6:30 a.m. Sunday training session as Vegas Vic was wrapping up his own. In the process of galloping out, Vegas Vic broke down, just in front of Abel Tasman and a workmate, but the Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) contender was able to avoid any incident.
Read more: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-cup-work
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Condolences on your loss, Neighhey. I wish the vets and researchers would find a way to treat (or better even, prevent) laminitis, especially when it occurs in the other front leg. RIP Sassagoula Springs.
Catalina

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?