In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Izvestia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:29 am

2-year-old breezes are gross. That poor baby.
Years ago I looked up the fastest breezes and looked to see what those horses had done on the track - I think maybe one had earned back its price, many were unraced or raced a handful of times, or never won.
I think Adena doesn't push them to go insanely fast or have a limit on how fast they want them to go, and they produce some really nice horses.
I think it's a barbaric practice, and that baby breaking down is proof.
Izvestia

Postby genuinerizk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 am

Just a cute little homebred, A Risky Peace, broke down at Turfway on the 22nd. Current owner/ trainer Bryan Metz was hoping to save him, but just too much damage. I am heartbroken at this - he was such a cute little guy. :cry:
genuinerizk

Postby Psychotic Parakeet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Kingston Bay suffered a cardiac event after collapsing at Gulfstream Park.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Psychotic Parakeet

Postby Dusty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 am

genuinerizk wrote:Just a cute little homebred, A Risky Peace, broke down at Turfway on the 22nd. Current owner/ trainer Bryan Metz was hoping to save him, but just too much damage. I am heartbroken at this - he was such a cute little guy. :cry:

Oh so very sorry to hear - RIP sweet A Risky Peace
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Dusty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:My feelings aren't mixed. They're pretty soundly negative.
I don't care how much a fast breeze jacks up the sale price. I care whether asking for such an intense effort from a young animal, whose leg bones probably haven't matured, is in any way good for the horse.
I'd also love to see any studies that examine the consequences of these under-tack circuses. My instincts (which, of course, are not proof :P ) tell me that these babies are being fed to speed-hungry lions.
If statistics prove that the youngsters come out of them just fine, I'll apologize.

I think this is abuse and should be banned - these are TWO YEAR OLDS
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Catalina » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 am

Dusty wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:My feelings aren't mixed. They're pretty soundly negative.
I don't care how much a fast breeze jacks up the sale price. I care whether asking for such an intense effort from a young animal, whose leg bones probably haven't matured, is in any way good for the horse.
I'd also love to see any studies that examine the consequences of these under-tack circuses. My instincts (which, of course, are not proof :P ) tell me that these babies are being fed to speed-hungry lions.
If statistics prove that the youngsters come out of them just fine, I'll apologize.

I think this is abuse and should be banned - these are TWO YEAR OLDS

I agree with your view of that. "Doing what's best for the horse" is a bald-faced lie.
Catalina

Postby BlindLucky » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Kingston Bay suffered a cardiac event after collapsing at Gulfstream Park.

So Kingston Bay didn't race for 3 years, posted 3 workouts within 20 days of each other, raced twice this year and died of a heart attack. I don't like to second guess trainers, but off for three years and then all that activity all of the sudden and a heart attack to end it? *sigh*
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby TapitsGal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Read Millennium Farms post on Facebook.Giant Oak is gone... euthanized today. RIP handsome boy :(
TapitsGal

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 pm

What happened to him? He was only eleven. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby CoronadosQuest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 pm

This is their post from their FB site:

Giant Oak
1 hr ·
It is with heartfelt sadness that we have to inform the fans and friends of Giant Oak that he had to be euthanized on March 1st 2017 at Millennium Farms. Giant Oak provided us with joy and excitement throughout his racing career. There were highs and some lows but he always gave his best in every race he ran. He competed against the top racehorses in the country and held his own in every race. He took us to races and tracks all over the country that we could of never imagined competing at. From his home base at Hawthorne and Arlington Park to Churchill Downs and Keeneland, to The Fairgrounds and Saratoga, Indiana Downs and Gulfstream Park. He won his share of races and we were always proud of his effort. You always knew he would make his patented run from 20 lengths back to make the finish exciting!! The pinnacle of his racing career happened in late 2010 when he won the Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs for his 1st grade 1 win. He followed that up with a win in February of 2011 in the Grade 1 Donn Handicap at Gulfstream Park. At that time Giant Oak was the #1 Older Male horse in the country!! We would like to thank his trainer Chris Block, his constant companion on the road, Drew Coontz, and all the others in Chris Block’s barn who had a part in his racing career. We would also like to thank Mike Evans at Indian Creek Farms and his employees who were with him from birth until he went into training and also Millennium Farms and their staff where Giant Oak stood as a Stallion for 5 years. To all our friends, family and fans everywhere who cheered him on we also thank you. Giant Oak you will be missed by all, RIP my friend.
CoronadosQuest

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?