In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby sweettalk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Saint's Fan

Michael Adolphson‏ @AdolphsonRacing
Per Stewart, SAINT'S FAN came back from a workout lame beyond repair & was sadly euthanized. More to come in today's @fairgroundsnola notes.
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Stakes-winning 3-year-old Saint's Fan put down
The stakes-winning 3-year-old Saint’s Fan came back lame from a Friday workout at Fair Grounds, was diagnosed with a fractured cannon bone in his left-hind leg, and had to be euthanized.
Trainer Dallas Stewart bred and owned Saint’s Fan, a Louisiana-bred by Take of Ekati out of the Sky Mesa mare Boy Crazy.
“He had a workout today, got back to the barn, and after a bath, we noticed he wasn’t walking well,” Stewart said.
Stewart said the fracture ran down the cannon bone all the way to the sesamoid and wasn’t repairable.
Saint’s Fan won his debut, an open maiden sprint last fall at Churchill Downs, and captured the Louisiana Champions Day Juvenile in his second start. He finished third in his final race, the Premier Prince on Feb. 11 at Delta Downs.

http://www.drf.com/news/stakes-winning- ... n-put-down

I know the Derby Trail can take a toll on these youngsters, but I hate to see a nice one like this actually lose his life. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm

that's a pretty significant injury. i can't believe he went that long without showing lameness. :shock:
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Postby Catalina » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 pm

RIP Saint's Fan. Sleep well, sweet prince, you carried many hopes.
Catalina

Postby Life At Zen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 pm

sweettalk wrote:that's a pretty significant injury. i can't believe he went that long without showing lameness. :shock:

Makes you wonder. How much do they feel when they break down mid race? You hope the adrenaline is enough so they aren't suffering, but it's hard to know. Incidents like this give me hope they don't feel much at all.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Catalina » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Life At Zen wrote:
sweettalk wrote:that's a pretty significant injury. i can't believe he went that long without showing lameness. :shock:

Makes you wonder. How much do they feel when they break down mid race? You hope the adrenaline is enough so they aren't suffering, but it's hard to know. Incidents like this give me hope they don't feel much at all.

In the race they seem to be more distraught at the thought of the herd leaving them behind, maybe the "safety in numbers" concept.
Catalina

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:40 pm

CoronadosQuest

Postby PONYRCR » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Huracan Amercio broke down in the FOY and was euthanized as per Peru Hipico twitter.
PONYRCR

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:17 pm

PONYRCR wrote:Huracan Amercio broke down in the FOY and was euthanized as per Peru Hipico twitter.

A little bit of his backstory. RIP, Huracán Américo.
https://www.usracing.com/news/kentucky-derby-road-to-the-roses/hurricane-alert-gulfstream-park
Sparrow Castle

Postby Catalina » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 am

PONYRCR wrote:Huracan Amercio broke down in the FOY and was euthanized as per Peru Hipico twitter.

RIP, Huracan Americo, we barely knew you. Time to say good bye came all too fast.
Catalina

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?