In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Northport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Up and coming chaser Starchitect broke down in the Caspian Caviar Gold Cup at Cheltenham today. He was pulling away from the field very impressively, with two fences left to jump. He slipped behind a few strides out from the second last and something just went terribly wrong, I watched the replay a few minutes after the race was run, before reading the result. I wish I hadn't.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Prairie Bayou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 am

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby serenassong » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Genuine Risk was a tremendous racehorse, and it can be argued that if a certain jockey hadn't played hardball with her in the Preakness, she would have gone into the Belmont with a good chance to be a Triple Crown-winning filly.
RIP, Mr. Jolley.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm

LeRoy's father trained champion Ridan, one of the very first Thoroughbreds my then very young self loved. Ridan and his full siblings, Lt. Sevens (the better sire), Moccasin, and Thong, and their half sister, Gambetta, are still an influence in pedigrees today. In particular, Thong gave us the dams of Nureyev and Sadler's Wells. Moccasin was the dam of Apalachee.

Rest in peace LeRoy and thanks to you and your dad for the memories.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby genuinerizk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 am

Funny that a horse could influence my life as much as Genuine Risk did - but being a young girl- she was my hero and proved a girl could be just as tough as the boys. I still need to get to Old Friends and see her last remaining baby. Rip Mr. Jolley- your filly made a huge difference in my life.
genuinerizk

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 am

Some of us may remember him as the man who covered many different major sports, as well as the first Breeders Cup, and did a great job with all of them. Certainly one of the best broadcasters I've ever witnessed.

Ray Paulick‏ @raypaulick
40m40 minutes ago
Ray Paulick Retweeted Jay Posner
RIP Dick Enberg. A voice for several generations of sports fans and a GREAT friend of horseracing. All class and a true gentleman.

Jay Posner‏Verified account @sdutPosner
Here's the sad news about an all-time great, confirmed by @Bryce_A_Miller:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/sd-sp-dick-enberg-death-obit-20171221-story.html
Sparrow Castle

Postby PJMIII » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Some of us may remember him as the man who covered many different major sports, as well as the first Breeders Cup, and did a great job with all of them. Certainly one of the best broadcasters I've ever witnessed.

Ray Paulick‏ @raypaulick
40m40 minutes ago
Ray Paulick Retweeted Jay Posner
RIP Dick Enberg. A voice for several generations of sports fans and a GREAT friend of horseracing. All class and a true gentleman.

Jay Posner‏Verified account @sdutPosner
Here's the sad news about an all-time great, confirmed by @Bryce_A_Miller:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/sd-sp-dick-enberg-death-obit-20171221-story.html

No doubt it, he was one of the greatest announcers of all time.
PJMIII

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:47 pm

The CHRB has released the names of all the horses who died at SLR, although three remain "unknown."

CHRB Identifies Horses Dead From San Luis Rey Fire
43 horses have been identified or are presumed among those who died.
By Jeremy Balan
Three horses who died in the fire remain "unknown," according to the CHRB. Thirty-seven Thoroughbred racehorses, four yearling Thoroughbreds, and two ponies are listed among the dead (the paint pony of injured outrider Les Baker is not listed below, because its name is not known).
Here is the full list, organized by trainer:
Herman Ackerson: Handsome Beau
Martine Bellocq: Royal Kuna, Wild Bill Hickory
Phil D'Amato: Oddsmaker, Riri
Dan Dunham: Packin Heat, Sir Charmalot
Scott Hansen: Monster Man, Oughttobeking, Puig, Stormin Norman, Aussie Rock Star (IRE), Baby Bruin, Chrysaor, Dodgertown, Fregosi, He's a Pleasure, Malibu Vixen, Mr. Hockey, Rocknrollallnight, Sunset Grill, Potent, Cat Dreamer (pony)
Joe Herrick: Call Me First, Everlovin Woman, Only One Love, Ourroseofthenile, Ral Rue, Sarah Sunshine
Juan C. Lopez: Fast Freddie, yearling colt (Slew's Tiznow -Chalula One)
Peter Miller: Amalfi Drive, California Diamond, Doc Raj, Lizmeister, Los Borrachos
Kimberly Schaffer-Marrs: Shortstormcoming
Cliff Sise: Candy Twist, Scat Home Lady, yearling colt (City Zip-Sweet Thoughts), yearling colt (Quality Road -Cool Flame), yearling filly (Into Mischief -Warm Hugs)

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-rey-fire

There are so many names I recognize. :cry: My heart breaks for every one of them, but especially for those connections who lost SO many out of their barns, like Scott, Peter and Cliff.
Seeing so many horses that have run regularly on SoCal tracks on this list also means that California racing may be impacted pretty badly.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby serenassong » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Just got a notification that Jack Van Berg died this morning.
All of our old friends from the glory days of racing are leaving us one by one

I will never forget his comments on closing day at Hollywood Park- it was so spot on- as well as all of his accomplishments over the years

May he R. I. P.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... berg-dies/
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?