In memoriam 2017

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4753
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura
Image

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.
More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old- ... xRdAuGXjpI
User avatar
Le Beau Bai
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am

Ugly breakdown for Aragonite at Belmont yesterday (4/30). DRF confirmed it was fatal.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

∆∆∆

Five years ago.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura
Image

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.
More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old- ... xRdAuGXjpI
Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.
I suppose, then, that a wealthy man like Mr. Mellon could have afforded to take a Virgin Islands vacation with a pregnant broodmare as his companion. He wasn't known as an eccentric, however, and if this actually happened I'm afraid of what other skeletons might be in his closet! :lol:
User avatar
Private Thoughts
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Kentucky

Sun May 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Rapper Dragon - http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... by-tragedy

What a beautiful and talented horse, such a shame.
neighhey
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Zarkar, son of Zarkava, has died in Argentina after fracturing his tibia.

http://www.turfdiario.com/triste-notici ... -numancia/
User avatar
Life At Zen
Posts: 1655
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 am

Heartbreak City broke down in a workout.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
TapitsGal
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Turf Club has died of colic per her owner
djnorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Mon May 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Sad to hear about Turf Club. I know she was hardly a runner (or producer) but she was flashy. A daughter, Miss Borrego, has been running on the NE OH circuit. Not marked like Mom but I'll be looking out for her.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... udges-case

Judge's Case

The 20-year-old gelding was euthanized at Old Friends due to chronic orthopedic disease.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm

G1W Stormy Pick has a 2017 death report on file and her Danza foal apparently died, as well.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4753
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm

California: Obituary - Unusual Heat, leading stallion
Unusual Heat, the six-time leading stallion in California who was pensioned last October, was euthanized on Wednesday because of age-related infirmities, according to Harris Auerbach, whose family owned the stallion.

Unusual Heat was 27 and was at Harris Farms in Coalinga, Calif. Harris Auerbach said in a statement that Unusual Heat was suffering from arthritis-induced laminitis.

By Nureyev, Unusual Heat was the top stallion by progeny earnings from 2008 to 2013 and was the leading stallion by progeny earnings in turf races for 16 years, through 2016.

“It is with a very heavy heart that I have to report the passing of Unusual Heat today”, Auerbach said in a statement. "He will be sorely missed, especially to those of us who loved and admired him.”

A more in-depth report will be available on DRF.com later this afternoon.
[/url]http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36717[/url]
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9693
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed May 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Awww. :cry:
I knew it was coming; with a 27-year-old pensioned stallion, sooner rather than later. But still...that makes me sad.
I was a big fan of his offspring. There were so many excellent grass and synthetic runners but, even on the dirt, they always had a ton of try.
I hope Acclamation can step into his Dad's shoes.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1406
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

One of the most beautiful horses I've ever seen in person. May he RIP.
TapitsGal
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Tue May 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Diamond Stripes. Very saddened to hear Michael blowen announce his passing
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Tue May 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Callie Way in the Snow Chief Stake at Santa Anita on Monday

In today's Snow Chief Stakes, Calli Way broke down not far from the wire, and unseated jockey Rafael Bejarano.
Bejarano got up under his own power, went to first aid, and was released. He will be examined again before being able to ride on Thursday's program, according to the Daily Racing Form's Steve Andersen.
Sadly, Calli Way injured a foreleg, according to Andersen. As a result, Calli Way was euthanized.
Rest in peace, Calli Way.
May they run with the WIND
Post Reply