In memoriam 2017

genuinerizk

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Ruth's Lotus broke down and euthanized in a horrific wreck at Mahoning today. Another horse fell over her and ran off after, and both jockeys taken to the hospital.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 pm

She was racing at Finger Lakes before Camarero.

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Replying to @BloodHorse @BH_EShea
sad 2 report per Vet that COWETA (8y FL-bred M w 87-starts) was euthanized due 2 serious penetrating injury 2 fore limb @CaribbeanOTTB

Replying to @ShelleyBlodgett @BloodHorse and 2 others
Injury from storm debris? Very deep involving tendon sheath, pastern joint & navicular bursa + infection. Prognosis even w surgery was poor.

Replying to @MsTBredRacing @BloodHorse and 2 others
It is... Coweta has been on @CaribbeanOTTB WatchList for months. She had a good home in NY waiting for her.
tachyon

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Swept Overboard(JPN) at Breeders Stallion Station on Novermber 1st 2017. :cry: :cry:
May he rest in peace.
Psychotic Parakeet

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Cheekaboomboom after the wire at Del Mar today.
I wanna do bad things with you.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh no!
Did not see or hear anything about a breakdown after the race...at least not by the motormouths on TVG. :roll: :(
Psychotic Parakeet

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Oh no!
Did not see or hear anything about a breakdown after the race...at least not by the motormouths on TVG. :roll: :(
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... r-fracture

"A race after the Damascus Friday, Sharon Alesia and Ciaglia Racing's Cheekaboomboom broke down after the wire following his sixth-place finish in an optional-claiming allowance on the Del Mar turf course. The Unusual Heat gelding was euthanized later."
I wanna do bad things with you.
Catalina

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Dusty

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:21 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Cheekaboomboom after the wire at Del Mar today.
Very sad - RIP = and after the BC = what has changed??
May they run with the WIND
Catalina

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Dusty wrote:
Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Cheekaboomboom after the wire at Del Mar today.
Very sad - RIP = and after the BC = what has changed??
Not sure I understand the question, Dusty.
mariasmon

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Lure has died, per Claiborne tweet:

https://twitter.com/claibornefarm/statu ... 7923059714
serenassong

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 pm

mariasmon wrote:Lure has died, per Claiborne tweet:

https://twitter.com/claibornefarm/statu ... 7923059714
Just saw that, RIP
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Bloodhorse has a nice photo with their brief piece. What a handsome horse.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -at-age-28
TapitsGal

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

It saddens me that Lure is gone. Another legend lost, but he did live a long fulfilling life and was greatly loved. No doubt a devestating day at Claiborne today
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].
Sparrow Castle

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

OldFriendsCabinCreek‏ @OldFriendsCC
Today we lost sweet Midnight Secret. Somehow he fractured his hock beyond repair. He was such a warrior in racing, good boy, & beautiful ambassador for Retirement. So loved & missed deeply @ dinner tonight. This photo reflects the depth of the ❤️ of horses. Run free Midnight...
Midnight Secret is the dark brown horse. Run with the heavenly herd, ol' warrior.
Ziggypop

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].
125 times? That's appalling.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

I've seen those numbers with Standardbreds, but the stress of racing on a harness horse is lower than on a TB. :shock:
Flanders

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?

Shame Salientito didn't get to enjoy his retirement. Hopefully the rest of the horses brought from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria continue to improve.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Flanders wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?
Perhaps. But there's so little money in South American racing that horsemen probably run their horses often just to keep whatever they can manage to scratch out coming in. Not sure, but I would bet the tracks there pay out down to last place, like many of our minor tracks do.

I follow UK racing, not South American, and one of the first things that stunned me about the game in the UK is how small the purses are for everything but the "listed" and "group" (stakes) races. When Godolphin has a promising 2-year-old, they run him or her in a maiden race at someplace like Newbury or Haydock for a purse of around $7,000, because that's what maidens run for in England -- no $60,000 to $80,000 NYRA-style MSWs to be found there, not even at the top courses. And the purses really don't get much better unless you have a really top class horse. So you have horses over there running twice a week. I've seen some run two straight days, once on a synthetic track like Kempton, the next on the grass somewhere else. Even the jumpers do the back-to-back thing quite a bit.

So are we babying our thoroughbreds on this continent, are the Brits (and South Americans) being unnecessarily cruel to their thoroughbreds, or are they just breeding a tougher thoroughbred elsewhere?