Retirements 2017

Re: Retirements 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Chip Gehrke@DoctorDerby
2015 Arlington Million winner The Pizza Man will likely be retired per owner Richard Papiese of Midwest Tbreds. @HR_Nation @ArlingtonRacing
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm glad to read that. :D He has been a gutsy and honest runner for Midwest, but he's no longer a graded stakes performer. He deserves to head off for a happy retirement while he's still (hopefully?) sound.
He looks like he'd make a fine saddle horse, if he has the temperament for it.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Jenny Earhart‏ @Jenny_Earhart
Long recovery ahead, but Nextdoorneighbor has❤️of gold. Needs sponsor to help with $500/mo supplement costs. Any amount helps!! #supportOTTB

2007 G Lido Palace (CHI) - Fencelineneighbor by Wild Rush. GSP 57-16-11-7
Earnings: $370,334

Edited to add: Paulick did a piece on him in 2015
Everyone Wants To Work With Del Mar’s Favorite ‘Neighbor’
You've probably heard of or know someone who has been referred to as a “salt of the earth” human being.

Meet Nextdoorneighbor, a “salt of the earth” Thoroughbred racehorse by the testimony of those who've crossed paths with the gelded Florida-bred son of Lido Palace who is still running and winning, lately here at Del Mar, at age eight.

“Everybody who ever rubbed him or rode him loves him,” said Mike Machowsky, the first of 10 trainers who have had the pleasure of Nextdoorneighbor in their barns over the years, starting in the fall of 2009, that Nextdoorneighbor has been campaigning through the mostly claiming level ranks.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/everyone-wants-to-work-with-del-mars-favorite-neighbor/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:21 pm

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening
Hot City Girlwas scratched from today's Union Avenue Stakes due to filling in an ankle. She has been retired, per @LindaRiceRacing

Lady Sheila Stable‏ @Lady__Sheila
Hot City Girl has been scratched from the Union Ave & will be retired as a broodmare. She will join La Verdad at Edition Farm
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Confirmed.

Equine Altitude. Com‏ @EquineAltitude
JUST IN. Rich texted me to say they found a chip in Pizza Man Left front ankle. He will be retired & spending some quality time in Florida
Sparrow Castle

Postby mariasmon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Valid retired to his new home with his former jockey Nik Juarez.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... aire-valid
mariasmon

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am

mariasmon wrote:Valid retired to his new home with his former jockey Nik Juarez.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... aire-valid

What a great story!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 pm

I'll sure miss him around the barn!

Matt Dinerman‏Verified account @3coltshandicap
Fan favorite STRYKER PHD has been retired. Stryker won 2 Longacres Miles, earned over 630k. Will go down as one of the best WA breds ever!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Curtis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:I'll sure miss him around the barn!

Fan favorite STRYKER PHD has been retired. Stryker won 2 Longacres Miles, earned over 630k. Will go down as one of the best WA breds ever!

Well earned! He would have needed to drop into claimers against anything but WA breds and I doubt anyone wanted to see that. The Rosses are good to their retirees. I know they don't own Stryker but I imagine they'll have a big say in what he does in retirement.
Curtis

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 am

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:I'll sure miss him around the barn!

Well earned! He would have needed to drop into claimers against anything but WA breds and I doubt anyone wanted to see that. The Rosses are good to their retirees. I know they don't own Stryker but I imagine they'll have a big say in what he does in retirement.

For sure it was time to stop for his sake. He'll always be remembered as a champion. It'd be great for us if they let him hang around the track every year like Wasserman. They tried other careers for Wasserman but he just likes the track life, and Jennifer rides him all around the grounds. But I agree that Stryker will be well cared for whatever they decide. I'm glad they're having a retirement ceremony for him on Sunday so he hears his fans cheer and dote on him one more time!
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?