Retirements 2017

Re: Retirements 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Highest peaks & deepest valleys 2day. On Very High Note @CaribbeanOTTB welcomed new OTTB 2 farm ARCH TRAVELER (9y KY-bred) @Centennial_Farm

Has 2 forever home offers (sanctuary) from former owners. @Centennial_Farm IMMEDIATELY started helping us seek & fund his way home! ThankU
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 pm

His last race was the Dubai Golden Shaheen in March 2016, but...

Quarantine Law Change Impacting HK / Australia Travel for Horses
Champion HK galloper Rich Tapestry is another horse caught up in the current quarantine saga that is preventing the travel of horses between Australia and Hong Kong.

A globetrotting son of Aquis Farm shuttler Holy Roman Emperor (IRE), Rich Tapestry took his trainer Michael Chang Chun-wai on the trip of a lifetime and his trainer was planning to repay his best friend by providing him a life of luxury in retirement in Australia at Aquis Farm.

The new Australian quarantine restrictions have made that plan all the more difficult.

"He took me around the world, everywhere," Chang told South China Moring Post.

"Dubai, Japan, Singapore, America and we had lots of fun".

He holds a special place in Hong Kong racing history; Rich Tapestry was the first horse from the jurisdiction to win a Grade One race in America and first to compete at a Breeders' Cup, both achievements also firsts for a Chinese trainer.

"It was like a dream," Chang says of that famous 2014 Santa Anita Sprint victory.

"That's not easy to do, he beat two very good horses that day – he beat Goldencents and Secret Circle, they both won Breeders' Cup races. We shocked them. He always tried so hard this horse, he was so honest."

Instead of enjoying retirement, Rich Tapestry remains at Chang's stables as result of the ban on horse transport directly from Hong Kong to Australia put in place by the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR).

More: https://www.breednet.com.au/news/138029/Quarantine-Law-Change-Impacting-HK-/-Australia-Travel-for-Horses
Sparrow Castle

Postby WarBiscuit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Highest peaks & deepest valleys 2day. On Very High Note @CaribbeanOTTB welcomed new OTTB 2 farm ARCH TRAVELER (9y KY-bred) @Centennial_Farm

Has 2 forever home offers (sanctuary) from former owners. @Centennial_Farm IMMEDIATELY started helping us seek & fund his way home! ThankU

That's great news. Placed a bet on that boy in the 2011 Florida Derby, and got to see him in person at Belmont in the Woody Stephens. Happy retirement Arch Traveler!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pm

His last race was the Dubai Golden Shaheen in March 2016, but...

Quarantine Law Change Impacting HK / Australia Travel for Horses
Champion HK galloper Rich Tapestry is another horse caught up in the current quarantine saga that is preventing the travel of horses between Australia and Hong Kong.

A globetrotting son of Aquis Farm shuttler Holy Roman Emperor (IRE), Rich Tapestry took his trainer Michael Chang Chun-wai on the trip of a lifetime and his trainer was planning to repay his best friend by providing him a life of luxury in retirement in Australia at Aquis Farm.

The new Australian quarantine restrictions have made that plan all the more difficult.

"He took me around the world, everywhere," Chang told South China Moring Post.

"Dubai, Japan, Singapore, America and we had lots of fun".

He holds a special place in Hong Kong racing history; Rich Tapestry was the first horse from the jurisdiction to win a Grade One race in America and first to compete at a Breeders' Cup, both achievements also firsts for a Chinese trainer.

"It was like a dream," Chang says of that famous 2014 Santa Anita Sprint victory.

"That's not easy to do, he beat two very good horses that day – he beat Goldencents and Secret Circle, they both won Breeders' Cup races. We shocked them. He always tried so hard this horse, he was so honest."

Instead of enjoying retirement, Rich Tapestry remains at Chang's stables as result of the ban on horse transport directly from Hong Kong to Australia put in place by the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR).

More: https://www.breednet.com.au/news/138029/Quarantine-Law-Change-Impacting-HK-/-Australia-Travel-for-Horses
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 pm

I had posted about this a little while ago over in Across the Pond.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5585&start=180
The impression I got was that Australian health authorities were not satisfied with the mainland China standards and protocols. It would appear that there has not been sufficient change for the Aussie officials to change their minds.
The poor horses are caught in the middle. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I had posted about this a little while ago over in Across the Pond.
http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/ ... &start=180
The impression I got was that Australian health authorities were not satisfied with the mainland China standards and protocols. It would appear that there has not been sufficient change for the Aussie officials to change their minds.
The poor horses are caught in the middle. :(

Yeah, just surprised to see that they haven't figured out a way to get this horse out yet, even if they have to go through another country, SMH.
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 am

Australia has some strict quarantine requirements, IIRC, and it doesn't feel that mainland China has met those requirements. Since Hong Kong started allowing horses from the mainland to ship in, I don't know that any horse who is now at Sha Tin or Happy Valley will be allowed into Australia...no matter what country or countries it goes to now.
I have to say I'm not surprised by the conflict between the different health agencies. It's not like we haven't seen cases where the safety/quality control of China's exports has been lacking, so Australia is probably not comforted by Chinese officials' assurances that no disease is getting through.
The horses who are waiting to ship to Australia will be able to IF China will meet the Aussie requirements, but....when have you ever seen CHINA willing to change their practices to what another country feels is the better/safer standard? :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
Dortmund has been retired, according to owner Kaleem Shah. He is headed to Maryland and will stand at Bonita Farm. Fee TBA.
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 pm

I'd say 'happy retirement, Dortzilla,' but I think I'm going to wait a bit...to make sure this retirement sticks. :P ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Curtis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd say 'happy retirement, Dortzilla,' but I think I'm going to wait a bit...to make sure this retirement sticks. :P ;)

The main difference this time around is that there is a plan to stand him. Shah retains full ownership, but if Dortmund does well......
Curtis

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?