Random Retiree News

Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 pm

PONYRCR wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A nice update on a horse with one of the cutest names out there - Notacatbutallama. :D
https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... n-waiting/
And he is owned by TBC's AP Val.
I didn't know AP Val was Alysse. I follow her on Twitter and remember how excited she was to get Llama.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A nice update on a horse with one of the cutest names out there - Notacatbutallama. :D
https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... n-waiting/
He is a very spoiled and very loved Llama!
stark

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:06 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Diver52

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm

^^^^

They deserve it. :)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
serenassong

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Diver52 wrote:^^^^

They deserve it. :)
Indeed. I had the pleasure of meeting Little Mike's half brother, Little Nick @ Akindale TB rescue. He is the kindest, most gentle horse I have ever seen.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
lurkey mclurker

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm

This is a lovely blog story by Barbara Livingston about a lovely horse and his equally lovely people. Totally feel-good for Thanksgiving Day. :mrgreen:

http://www.drf.com/blogs/nik-and-valid-love-story
Barbara Livingston‏ @DRFLivingston 3h 3 hours ago

Nik and Valid photo blog about a very cool love story. Thanks to @NikJuarez and others for giving Valid a good life! http://www.drf.com/blogs/nik-and-valid-love-story

Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 am

Another in Patricia McQueen’s series on Secretariat’s offspring:

Children of Secretariat: how a mare left to starve became the Queen of Alabama
The story of a 29-year-old mare named Albany’s Secret weaves together a most unlikely cast of characters. It embodies what is best in the world of horse racing, with a little of the worst thrown in along the way. In the end, her story became a happy one, but for a while it was clearly a hard road.

That road began with some of racing’s elite and breeding at the highest levels. Amerigo Lady was a major stakes winner in the late 1960s for breeder Nelson Bunker Hunt and owner Paul Mellon. For Mellon, she produced the multiple stakes winner Pass The Glass. In 1976, Amerigo Lady was sent to Secretariat – Mellon was one of the original syndicate members – and produced the winning filly Miss Tross.

Mellon sold Amerigo Lady, in foal to Alydar, at the 1980 Keeneland November breeding stock sale; the buyer at $600,000 was Tom Gentry. The resulting foal, Albany Girl, was sold as a yearling in 1982 for $325,000. The buyer? Australian corporate raider Robert Holmes à Court, who was that country’s first billionaire.

He loved his horses – he had several farms and bred 1984 Melbourne Cup winner Black Knight. He began dabbling in the American bloodstock market in the 1980s, but apparently without much success.

Albany Girl was unraced, and à Court bred her first four foals in Pennsylvania; the mare was then sent to the Southern Hemisphere. The first three were by Diamond Shoal; the fourth and last American-bred was Albany’s Secret, by Secretariat. The chestnut filly with a small star was born April 28, 1988.

Robert Holmes à Court died suddenly in September 1990 at the age of 53 but was still listed as the owner of record when Albany’s Secret made her one and only start at Oaklawn Park on January 27, 1991. Trained by D. Wayne Lukas and ridden by Aaron Gryder, the filly finished last of 12 in a six-furlong $30,000 maiden claiming race; she was third choice in the betting at 7-1 but trailed throughout.
More: https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... n-alabama/

Flourishing: the 29-year-old Albany’s Secret at Victory Alliance Ranch in Alabama. Photo: Patricia McQueen

Albany’s Secret at Victory Alliance: “She looks like her classy old self again,” says Karen Chillcott. Photo: Patricia McQueen

Karen Chillcott with Albany’s Secret and the peppermints she can’t get enough of. Photo: Patricia McQueen

Inseparable: Albany’s Secret with the horse who has become her shadow, constant companion Major Influence. Photo: Patricia McQueen
mariasmon

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:41 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Arlington Million winner Debussy:
His new owner made a Facebook page to document their journey together.

https://www.facebook.com/Debussy-The-Ne ... 510329257/
Sparrow Castle

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 pm

emily @em_15
17h17 hours ago
I don’t know what’s more gorgeous Lava Man or the San Gabriel Mountains
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Lava Man the Parade Horse? Man, he looks amazing!
short_lead

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

I'll give it to Lava Man. Gorgeous as those beautiful mountains are, I see them every day...not so with Lava Man! He does look amazing! :D
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm

TDN @theTDN
13m13 minutes ago
The recently-retired multiple graded stakes winner Green Mask photographed arriving at @Oldfriendsfarm today.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:53 am

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
10h10 hours ago
1/2 Wishing a very happy 34th birthday to @trfinc beloved ambassador QUICK CALL, shown here in 2007 at Walkill Correctional Facility with his friend Robert. QUICK CALL is by Quack, out of a Sadair mare (how about that), record 86-16-15-12, $807,817. He was mostly running in....

Barbara Livingston‏ @DRFLivingston
...claimers by the time of his retirement, but QUICK CALL won two G2 Forego Handicaps and the G2 Tom Fool, and clearly relished Saratoga, winning four years straight there.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am

No pictures, but updated info about some old favorites...

Hovdey: Former stars now just old folks on the farm
Wise Dan lets you lead him around and snap a photo. Declan’s Moon will stop goofing off with his mates long enough to take a carrot. Main Sequence lords over the paddock already made famous by a previous occupant. And among the peaceful herd at his owner’s Pennsylvania farm is the venerable ’chaser Mixed Up, nearly a decade removed from his glory days.

These are among the champions who did not go on to glitzy stud deals, nor did they end up on accessible public display at places like the Kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends Equine. They are Eclipse Award geldings of recent years, healthy and content to live out their days as just plain horses, when they are anything but.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-former-s ... folks-farm
Sparrow Castle

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 pm

Sarah K Andrew @SarahKAndrew
6h6 hours ago
Pennmarydel (Dynaformer - La Ville Rouge), a full brother to 2006 GI Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, romps with his long-eared friends Nigel Herringbone Bigglesworth III (center) and Reginald Striebling Cumberbatch (right) this afternoon in Vass, NC.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 am

That's a handsome horse; you can see the resemblance to Barbaro. Is he a gelded pasture pet or learning a new career?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a handsome horse; you can see the resemblance to Barbaro. Is he a gelded pasture pet or learning a new career?
When La Ville Rouge was pensioned last year, one of the publications mentioned that Pennmarydel was given to the executive director of CANTER Mid Atlantic (can't remember her name). I'm pretty sure he was for her to keep and he was gelded. I'm not sure about his OTTB career, but he's clipped so nicely I'd guess he's not just a pasture pet.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 pm

We followed Royal F J in the War Horse thread.

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
16m16 minutes ago
Woke up to good news in Dubai today.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Wow, he looks good. You'd think he was California Chrome parading for the ladies. :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

At age 24, Chindi still enjoying celebrity at track
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – It was 20 years ago this week that Chindi came roaring down the Oaklawn Park stretch to win the Grade 3 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap during the 1998 Racing Festival of the South.

The gelding, now 24, has been part of the local action in some fashion every year since, whether racing at the meet or working as a stable pony for trainer Steve Hobby. Chindi has been immensely popular with racing fans and horsemen for his longevity and personality as well as the deep-closing style he employed. And it does not hurt that he now looks like a 1,200-pound snowball, a Rubenesque gray gone white who can regularly be found watching morning training at Oaklawn.

“Everybody wants to see Chindi,” said his owner, Carol Ricks. “He should have been in the movies. I think he could have been another Trigger.”

Chindi has been Hobby’s riding partner for some 20 years. Hobby not only galloped the horse when he was racing but now rides Chindi out with most sets of workers each morning at Oaklawn. That’s been the regular schedule for the horse since he retired in 2005. Chindi did not care for being turned out to pasture.

“He walks faster to the track than he does back to the barn – every set,” Hobby said. “From all these years going to the track, it just amazes me he can’t wait to get up to the track. Now, he doesn’t really want to do anything once he’s up there but stand around and look, let everyone holler his name, and feed him candy. But he loves to go to the track.”
More: http://www.drf.com/news/age-24-chindi-s ... rity-track