Random Retiree News

Re: Random Retiree News

Postby BlindLucky » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I forgot to mention this earlier in the summer, but while visiting Margaux Farm to see a 2-yr-old we have in training there, I found that Devil His Due is still living the life of leisure on the farm. Such a gorgeous place! They don't stand stallions anymore, but he got to stay on and has a beautiful barn and turnout area. I didn't get to see him since we were sort of in a rush, but hopefully he'll still be around in the spring and I'll visit again--he'll be 28 next year :)

That's the same farm where our stable pony is millionaire Becrux!

I seriously need to just move to KY.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm

That's good to hear...Devil His Due was such a handsome racehorse and, IIRC, a true black.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby serenassong » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's good to hear...Devil His Due was such a handsome racehorse and, IIRC, a true black.

He is a stunning horse. Never forget seeing him in the flesh at Belmont. It was a cloudy day, and just as he steeped onto the track- the sun came out and hit him. I swear to you the light turned him blue- the way it hit his black coat. It was an incredible sight I will never forget.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Fun little article about Innkeeper, son of Secretariat. At the bottom of the page are links to articles about other Secretariat kids.

Children of Secretariat: the old charmer still kicking up his heels at 28
There aren’t many of Secretariat’s offspring left. The youngest ones are 26 years old, and the head of that class is millionaire Tinners Way, a high-profile resident of Old Friends in Kentucky.

At the beginning of this year, it looked like 27-year-old stakes winner Careless Secretary would continue to be the only active breeding son. Based in Bulgaria and popular with both Thoroughbred and sport horse breeders, he had 26 mares booked to him. But alas, he was lost after an unfortunate injury in April.

That leaves a strapping bay son named Innkeeper as one of the oldest – if not the oldest – out there. Certainly he’s the most prominent. The 28-year-old stallion knows he’s the star of Virginia Tech’s MARE Center in Middleburg, Virginia, where he has been the center of attention since taking up residence there in late 2010.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/children-secretariat-old-charmer-still-kicking-his-heels-28/
Sparrow Castle

Postby ThreeMustangs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:30 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Fun little article about Innkeeper, son of Secretariat. At the bottom of the page are links to articles about other Secretariat kids.

Children of Secretariat: the old charmer still kicking up his heels at 28
There aren’t many of Secretariat’s offspring left. The youngest ones are 26 years old, and the head of that class is millionaire Tinners Way, a high-profile resident of Old Friends in Kentucky.

At the beginning of this year, it looked like 27-year-old stakes winner Careless Secretary would continue to be the only active breeding son. Based in Bulgaria and popular with both Thoroughbred and sport horse breeders, he had 26 mares booked to him. But alas, he was lost after an unfortunate injury in April.

That leaves a strapping bay son named Innkeeper as one of the oldest – if not the oldest – out there. Certainly he’s the most prominent. The 28-year-old stallion knows he’s the star of Virginia Tech’s MARE Center in Middleburg, Virginia, where he has been the center of attention since taking up residence there in late 2010.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/children-secretariat-old-charmer-still-kicking-his-heels-28/

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.
ThreeMustangs

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:27 am

If you're wondering about Exit Stage Left, Roving Storm, Poker Brad, Nakiska, Warrens Wild Thing, Sandor, Trumpet Player Jay, Presenceofagenius, or Gal Has to Like It, you'll find them here. Wonderful story by Jeremy Balan that hits quite close to home for me.

Healing for Veterans, a Refuge for Racehorses
..."I look out there and they establish their pecking order," Boone says. "Every one in the field has made (thousands of dollars), but the pecking order is the highest earner all the way down. It blows me away."

With time, the horses who have learned to become horses again provide that unique lesson to their human cohorts.

"They're just like the veterans," Monaco says, "who just need to learn how to be a person again."...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/217787/healing-for-veterans-a-refuge-for-racehorses
Sparrow Castle

Postby BlindLucky » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm

These guys aren't Thoroughbreds, but they worked with them every day! A friend of mine recently adopted two ponies from Churchill Downs (from two different trainers) who were ready to retire from track life. I can't wait to go hang out with these guys in May! She has a farm right outside of Louisville, so they'll be living it up from here on out as pleasure horses :D

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby TouchOfGrey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Just saw a tweet from @Oldfriendsfarm that Game On Dude is back in his paddock after recovering from colic surgery. So glad he's OK!
TouchOfGrey

Postby Diver52 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 am

TouchOfGrey wrote:Just saw a tweet from @Oldfriendsfarm that Game On Dude is back in his paddock after recovering from colic surgery. So glad he's OK!

Whoa, love that guy, didn't know he'd colicked. Glad he's doing better.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Izvestia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:59 am

Poor Dude. I hate colic. Hopefully he stays healthy.
Izvestia

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?