In memoriam 2015

Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:19 pm

serenassong wrote:
Catalina wrote:
serenassong wrote:I am more and more coming to the realization that this Inner Track winter meet should not be run anymore. Way too many horses dying/getting hurt.
Suggestions what we can do to stop it?
Not really sure what the answer is, but, for whatever reason- the mix or maintenance that they have been using as of late seems to be playing a factor( last few seasons). Don't know if it has changed, the weather (thawing and freezing) is the culprit. Not saying that the maintenance crew hasn't been working hard or don't know what they are doing, I'm sure they do- but all angles need to be investigated and studied. And, then of course, certain trainers perhaps running lame horses into the ground.
And while all these umpteen angles get thoroughly investigated, the carnage continues.
Tessablue
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:22 am

Apex was one of my favorite horses running. There was a brief time a few years back when he was my Derby horse. He didn't exactly live up to that, but I enjoyed following him and I was hoping he'd find his niche at Aqueduct. Feel pretty sick over this.
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Tessablue wrote:Apex was one of my favorite horses running. There was a brief time a few years back when he was my Derby horse. He didn't exactly live up to that, but I enjoyed following him and I was hoping he'd find his niche at Aqueduct. Feel pretty sick over this.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Tessablue. Do you have a picture of him you can share?
Tessablue
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Apex was one of my favorite horses running. There was a brief time a few years back when he was my Derby horse. He didn't exactly live up to that, but I enjoyed following him and I was hoping he'd find his niche at Aqueduct. Feel pretty sick over this.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Tessablue. Do you have a picture of him you can share?
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I do have some pictures because I saw him multiple times, but they aren't on this computer unfortunately. There is a nice blog post (not mine) here- http://gallopinghatrack.com/post/332388 ... watch-apex - which has a small picture and talks about why he was such an exciting prospect early on. He actually ran a nice third to Palace Malice in his first start.
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Apex was one of my favorite horses running. There was a brief time a few years back when he was my Derby horse. He didn't exactly live up to that, but I enjoyed following him and I was hoping he'd find his niche at Aqueduct. Feel pretty sick over this.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Tessablue. Do you have a picture of him you can share?
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I do have some pictures because I saw him multiple times, but they aren't on this computer unfortunately. There is a nice blog post (not mine) here- http://gallopinghatrack.com/post/332388 ... watch-apex - which has a small picture and talks about why he was such an exciting prospect early on. He actually ran a nice third to Palace Malice in his first start.
He was a honest runner, who always gave his best. RIP Apex.
User avatar
Sunline
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:05 am
Location: New Zealand

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Doriemus(NZ) euthanised at Living Legends retirement farm in Melbourne after suffering a hoof injury.He was 24.

He won the Caulfield-Melbourne cup double in 1995.

9 wins and 12 placings from 44 starts and prize money of almost $3.6 million
Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Ihtimal suffered a fatal injury in training this morning.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... -training/
User avatar
Life At Zen
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:55 am

Elite Belle suffered a heart attack on a flight to Melbourne today.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
User avatar
ChampionCurlin
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Florida

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:01 pm

G1 Australian Cup winner and millionaire Super Cool has passed away following a leg infection. RIP

Image
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Edited to add: NYS database originally listed horse as having died (see below) but later was changed to reflect horse fell and was ambulanced off.


Another race day at Aqueduct, another fatality: You Take the Cake in AQU2, fell heavily after finish line and died on the track.
Last edited by Catalina on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TouchOfGrey
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 am
Location: Bayside, NY

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Catalina wrote:Another race day at Aqueduct, another fatality: You Take the Cake in AQU2, fell heavily after finish line and died on the track.
I just saw a tweet from Dave Grening about 15 minutes ago saying You Take the Cake is at the Ruffian Equine Clinic being evaluated.
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:28 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:
Catalina wrote:Another race day at Aqueduct, another fatality: You Take the Cake in AQU2, fell heavily after finish line and died on the track.
I just saw a tweet from Dave Grening about 15 minutes ago saying You Take the Cake is at the Ruffian Equine Clinic being evaluated.
Hope you are right. The NYS Gaming website originally had her listed as died on track. I see that has since been changed and now just says horse fell and was ambulanced off.
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:13 pm

David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
User avatar
TouchOfGrey
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 am
Location: Bayside, NY

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:28 pm

BlindLucky wrote:David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
Damn. :-(
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:36 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
Damn. :-(
She was a 27-race maiden.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:46 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
TouchOfGrey wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
Damn. :-(
She was a 27-race maiden.
Some time owners enter a horse at a level that is a little above them, just to make it less likely the horse gets claimed.
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:58 pm

BlindLucky wrote:David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
That may have been the result of the fall, but unlikely the cause of the fall.
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Catalina wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 5 minutes ago
Unfortunately, it turns out You Take the Cake, who fell in AQU 2nd was euthanized after being diagnosed with C-2 vertebrae fracture in neck
She was a 27-race maiden.
Some time owners enter a horse at a level that is a little above them, just to make it less likely the horse gets claimed.
Very true, though she has been run in 1 maiden special weight and 26 maiden claiming races, for tags averaging around $20k--this last one was $12.5k. There isn't a ton lower at the tracks she's been running at (Saratoga, Belmont, Aqueduct). At a certain point, when you're rarely hitting the board against maiden claimers between 2012 and 2015... I guess I would have probably called it a day with her awhile ago. Not saying she wasn't sound or anything, just seemed like an exercise in futility.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:48 am

BlindLucky wrote: Very true, though she has been run in 1 maiden special weight and 26 maiden claiming races, for tags averaging around $20k--this last one was $12.5k. There isn't a ton lower at the tracks she's been running at (Saratoga, Belmont, Aqueduct). At a certain point, when you're rarely hitting the board against maiden claimers between 2012 and 2015... I guess I would have probably called it a day with her awhile ago. Not saying she wasn't sound or anything, just seemed like an exercise in futility.
Except she'd brought home a check in seven of her last 10 races. Bred and (presumably, since she was raced under the name of a stable rather than an individual) owned by her trainer, she was about as useful a 27-race maiden as there could be. I'm sure the last thing her (again presumably) one-man connections would want to do is abuse her.

Not to say that breeders are entirely guilt-free, especially when you look at the big picture. At some point, don't you have to look at the thoroughbred gene pool and wonder just what kind of horse is being bred these days, and whether that horse is significantly inferior genetically to the sturdy thoroughbreds of yesteryear?
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
BlindLucky wrote: Very true, though she has been run in 1 maiden special weight and 26 maiden claiming races, for tags averaging around $20k--this last one was $12.5k. There isn't a ton lower at the tracks she's been running at (Saratoga, Belmont, Aqueduct). At a certain point, when you're rarely hitting the board against maiden claimers between 2012 and 2015... I guess I would have probably called it a day with her awhile ago. Not saying she wasn't sound or anything, just seemed like an exercise in futility.
Except she'd brought home a check in seven of her last 10 races. Bred and (presumably, since she was raced under the name of a stable rather than an individual) owned by her trainer, she was about as useful a 27-race maiden as there could be. I'm sure the last thing her (again presumably) one-man connections would want to do is abuse her.

Not to say that breeders are entirely guilt-free, especially when you look at the big picture. At some point, don't you have to look at the thoroughbred gene pool and wonder just what kind of horse is being bred these days, and whether that horse is significantly inferior genetically to the sturdy thoroughbreds of yesteryear?
Elementary, alas. We have been breeding for precocious speed for some time, not as much for durability.
Post Reply