CHRB Steward Minutes

Re: CHRB Steward Minutes

Postby BlindLucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm

serenassong wrote:The complaint stated that Lindsay’s dog was observed tethered to an arm of a hot walking machine and also tied up in a stall. Lindsay admitted to both allegations, stating that he put the dog on the walking machine in order to get it some exercise. He said that he has trouble walking and felt the dog would benefit more on the machine than if he was hand walking it.

I've seen goats on the walker, no one cared about that!
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 pm

If the dog was was prone to getting loose and running around, I can understand why he was tied. I can't think of a much worse scenario than a dog running around a stable, possibly barking at and/or harrying already skittish TBs.
So long as the animal was attended to regularly, and not just left tied up for many hours, I think someone may be making a mountain out of a molehill.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby serenassong » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 pm

I don't normally read the minutes from Cal Expo all that much- it's a harness meet- but I can across these two interesting entries. You have to love the writing and the responses by the people involved

Cal Expo- W/E 10/19
"10/14/14 (2) Kim Stevens Schneider/ Quentin Schneider Trainer’s License
Owner/Trainer/Driver Quentin Schneider and his wife Kim Schneider approached the Stewards concerning the possibility of licensing Mrs. Schneider as a Trainer. Mrs. Schneider holds a Standardbred Canada “Trainers” License, and has been licensed in that capacity for four (4) years. However, it should be noted that Mrs. Schneider has never been listed as a Trainer during that period. In light of these facts the Board of Stewards were of the unanimous opinion that Mrs. Schneider should take the “California Trainers Test” prior to being permitted to assume responsibility for training the family stable. While this determination was not warmly received the coupled agreed to abide by the decision"

W/E 10/26-
Be nice to the outrider-
10/25/14 (2) Outrider/ Driver Discussion
"Outrider Billy Don Wainscott and Driver Williams Hernandez met with the Stewards before the first today. Outrider Wainscott told the Stewards that Driver Hernandez was training a horse ‘the wrong way’ at a high rate of speed earlier this week. Hernandez told the Stewards “other people do it.” The Stewards told Hernandez that Outrider Wainscott supervises training on the racetrack and that he will determine what is ‘too fast.’ Warning issued."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:00 pm

GG W/E 10/26-
Potty Mouth in the Paddock-
"10-25-145 RULING #6 – JAVIER M. LANDEROS
Valet Javier M. Landeros met with the Stewards regarding his repeated tardiness to
the saddling paddock. Of more concern was his use of foul and abusive language
directed toward the Clerk of Scales when directed to see the Stewards for his latest
tardiness.
Clerk of Scales Ken Sjordal and Paddock Judge Linda Anderson both attested to Mr.
Landeros’ prior warnings and the latter acknowledged directing the abusive
Language toward Mr. Sjordal."

Some interesting notes from Los Al QH meet 10/19
Case of possible neglect of a pony :?
"(3)ROPAR INFORMAL HEARING – ROPAR RULING
An informal hearing was conducted to address Case #14LA0241. Present were Pony Rider Amanda Ropar, character witness and boyfriend Roberto Hernandez, Safety Steward Randy Winick, Stewards George Slender, James Dreyer, and Ruben Moreno, and co-case presenters Supervising Investigator Tom Blake and Investigator Kevin Kitashima. At issue were the conditions in which Pony Rider Amanda Ropar’s horse had been kept. Pictures submitted to the Stewards by Investigators showed Ms. Ropar’s horse to have no feed and inadequate bedding. Ms. Ropar responded that the horse had always been adequately cared for and presented her own photos showing the horse, currently stabled at Santa Anita, in good condition. The Stewards countered that numerous complaints had been voiced concerning the welfare of her horse while he was stabled at Los Alamitos and issued the following ruling:
RULING #191
PONY RIDER AMANDA ROPAR IS FINED TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS ($200.00)* FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1902.5 (ANIMAL WELFARE - NEGLECT)."

Use the door-
SUNDAY
10/19/2014 (1)ALDANA RULING
RULING #192
"GROOM HECTOR M. ALDANA IS FINED TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS ($25.00)* FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1530 (CASES NOT COVERED BY RULES AND REGULATIONS – FENCE JUMPING).
The above ruling was issued after Groom Hector Aldana appeared before the Stewards to address Security Violation #4874. Mr. Aldana was cited for illegally entering the stable area by jumping over a back fence."

Could have been worse-
"(2)SEVENTH RACE – INCIDENT
Prior to the start of the seventh race, #6 “Flying Porsche Girl” broke through the gate, unseating Jockey Cesar De Alba and ran off. “Flying Porsche Girl” was eventually caught by the gate crew. Both horse and rider were uninjured."
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm

There should be more notes coming concerning that 7th race at Los Al...that's the race where Wag the Dog (the other horse who took off along with 'Porsche Girl) ended up floundering in an infield lake.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby serenassong » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:49 am

Yep- I am keeping an eye out for that one.
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 am

SA 10/25

More abuse?
10/24/143 LEYTE FORMAL HEARING CASE 14SA232
"This complaint filed by the CHRB involves a possible violation of CHRB Rule #1902.5 (Animal Welfare), #1902 (Conduct Detrimental to Horse Racing), pursuant to Rule, #1900 (Grounds for Suspension or Revocation) against exercise rider GUADALUPE LEYTE. Court Reporter MICHELLE DERIEG documented the proceedings and Senior Investigator RICK AMIEVA represented the CHRB. Also present were interpreter and translator RAFAEL DIEGO and appearing as a witness, Racing Veterinarian DANA STEAD.
Testimony given by Dr. Stead stated that the pony horse involved had numerous sores on his legs and body, most of which could need extensive time to heal. He also stated the horse was underweight. Investigator Amieva shared photographs of all sores on the horse. Mr. Leyte stated through the interpreter that the horse had injured itself in the stall after shipping from Del Mar and that he was treating the injuries.
After testimony from Dr. Stead and Guadalupe Leyte, all documents presented were entered into evidence and the hearing was closed. Decision to follow."

Interesting- jocks warning about keeping their horses under control coming out of the gate, imagine that!
"10/25/141 FILM REVIEW
Jockey ALONSO QUINONEZ met with the Stewards to review the last race yesterday. Mr. Quinonez made an effort to straighten his horse out of the gate, but his rein was too long. He was issued a warning. He stated he would try to make better efforts in the future.
Jockeys JOE TALAMO and DRAYDEN VAN DYKE also met with the BOS to review the fifth race on Thursday. The issue was the effort or lack of effort to straighten their mounts leaving the starting gate. After much discussion of different styles and efforts, both were excused with a warning. Both tried to correct, but the Stewards felt their efforts could have been more aggressive.
"

Hmm- and the report for BC days is out already? That is the fastest I have ever seen this happen-
W/E 11/2
BC Classic-
"11/01/142 INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
Following the running of the 12th race today (Breeders’ Cup Classic), we posted the Inquiry sign to examine an incident at the start (Dirt, 1¼ miles). Involved in the incident were the winner #7 BAYERN (M. Garcia) and several horses to his inside -- #6 SHARED BELIEF (M. Smith) and #4 MORENO (J. Castellano). Film review revealed that #7 BAYERN broke in sharply, bumped #6 SHARED BELIEF, causing a chain reaction with several other horses to his inside, including #4 MORENO, who also broke out slightly. #6 SHARED BELIEF finished fourth, 3½ lengths behind the third place finisher while #4 MORENO finished far behind the leaders. After speaking with the patrol judges and riders involved, it was our unanimous decision that pursuant to CHRB Rule 1699, that the incident occurred in a part of the race where the horses interfered with were not cost the opportunity to place where they were reasonably expected to finish."
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Delmar- 11/9

Giving horse away?
"11/08/142 COMPLAINT DISMISSED
A complaint filed by Jose Castellano, the owner of Two Friends Ranch, against owner John Pinner was dismissed after hearing testimony from both sides. According to Mr. Pinner’s trainer, Danny Velasquez, the horse in question, Dashing Ash, was given away to Gregorio Ruiz, who isn’t Licensed by the CHRB, who subsequently sent the horse to Mr. Castellano’s ranch. We will attempt to contact Mr. Ruiz in order to settle the matter."

Distance runner?
11/09/145 REFUND
"There was a refund in the third race as #6 Chuck’s Chuckle unseated jockey William Antongeorgi during the post parade and ran off two miles before being caught. The refund came to a total of $12,298.26. Mr. Antongeorgi was not injured."

GG- 11/9
Putting it nicely-
"11-07-146 OWNER ROGER STEIN CALLS STEWARDS
Mr. Stein phoned the Stewards this morning and requested an ownership change from him to his nephew Joshua Stein on the horse POCKET PRINCE that is scheduled to race in the 5th race today. Mr. Stein’s license is currently under suspension. His request was denied and he was informed the horse would have to be scratched. Naturally, Mr. Stein voiced an objection to the horse being scratched."

Get to the track on time-
"11-08-144 JOCKEY SILVIO AMADOR – RULING NO.15
Jockey SILVIO AMADOR is fined the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00)*
for reporting to the jockey’s room late on Friday, November 7, 2014;
a violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1680 (Jockeys and
Drivers to Report).
The preceding ruling was issued after Mr. Amador met with the Stewards and provided a feeble excuse for failing to report on time."

LosAl 11/2-
"Walk the Dog incident"
"5)RACE DELAY
There was a thirty-three minute delay after one of the two horses that broke through the gate prior to the start of the seventh race jumped the inside rail and ended up in the lake. Enough praise cannot be bestowed on Outrider Eric Newdock after he jumped into the water and singlehandedly placed girths around the gelding so he could be lifted out of the lake. Also instrumental in the rescue were the gate and maintenance crews. It appears that “Walk The Dog” is going to be just fine"
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Delmar- 11/30
Go to the video tape-
"11/18/144 RULING DFTD #016
Jockey COREY NAKATANI who rode MARINA DEL HEAT in the second race at Del Mar Race Track on November 23, 2014, is suspended for FIVE RACING DAYS (December 7, 11, 12, 13 and 14, 2014) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1699 (d) (Ride carelessly, or willfully, so as to permit their mount to interfere with or impede any other horse) and #1884 (Unsatisfactory Rides).
This ruling was issued after Mr. Nakatani had viewed the second race from this past Sunday, during which he carried a competing horse wide entering the first turn of the one and one sixteenth turf race. Mr. Nakatani insisted that his horse was rank and was running off with him and he asked the rider to his outside to help him negotiate the turn. A conversation with the rider who was carried out, Brandon Boulanger, did not corroborate Mr. Nakatani’s statement. Video review was, in fact, damaging, as it showed Mr. Nakatani pointing his filly’s head to the right, then drifting out and ultimately bumping Boulanger’s mount."

You can use the video tape- if available-
"11/29/145 TIGHT PAN SHOT SNAFU
One of our video shots used for officiating, the “tight pan”, was not available for the Grade III Native Diver Stakes as TVG, the video coverage provider for this meeting, decided to use that shot in order to isolate the favorite, #2 Tamarando.
We were not informed of their intentions prior to the race and realized what was happening when the field was in the first turn and the shot, which is always on the leaders, showed a horse that was running fifth position.
The TVG director was contacted and he apologized, stating that it would not happen again.
Fortunately, there were no incidents during the races."
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:33 pm

From GG minutes- 11/30
This was not a good idea-
"11-27-144 TRAINER JAMEY THOMAS MEETS WITH THE STEWARDS
Trainer Jamey Thomas met with the Board, as instructed, to explain his failure to
follow the instructions of the Racing Veterinarian following the running of Sunday’s
(11/23/14) 3rd race. Mr. Thomas disregarded the Veterinarian’s instructions to place
his horse in the horse ambulance following the running of the race and proceeded to
walk the horse to the test barn. Thomas explained that in his opinion the horse was
walking soundly and did not need the horse ambulance. Decision to follow."

"11-29-144 JAMEY THOMAS – RULING NO.26
Trainer JAMEY THOMAS is fined the sum of two hundred dollars
($200.00)* pursuant to CHRB rule #1549 (Recommendation of
Discipline) for failure to follow the instructions of the Racing Vet-
erinarian following the running of the third race on Sunday Novem-
ber 23, 2014.
The preceding ruling was issued after the matter was given due consideration."
serenassong

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?