Waiting for news on ...

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

RugbyGirl: No he will head back to HK to recover from his injury. Almost none go to China. The majority of horses in HK will retire to NZ or AUS (eventually)

On another thread discussing whether Oz horses ever come to our Breeders' Cup, you mentioned the quarantine issues which AUS and NZ are still having with Hong Kong/China. Will that mean that Lucky Bubbles won't be able to retire to AUS/NZ until the quarantine problems are resolved?
RugbyGirl

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:02 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

On another thread discussing whether Oz horses ever come to our Breeders' Cup, you mentioned the quarantine issues which AUS and NZ are still having with Hong Kong/China. Will that mean that Lucky Bubbles won't be able to retire to AUS/NZ until the quarantine problems are resolved?
No the quarantine is Australia only. The majority of HK horses are currently coming to New Zealand to retire.

The problem is the new training base that Hong Kong jockey club have opened in mainland China, despite the strict protocols they are using to ensure the horses are safe & quarantined from the rest of China, the kneejerk reaction of the Australian Government is to put a additional SIX MONTH quarantine on any horses travelling from HK to Australia!

Here is a recent article in the Hong Kong racing paper about the current situation
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm not sure I blame anyone for doubting the effectiveness of Chinese oversight on health issues.
I just had to change a medication because it turned out that one of its Chinese-produced ingredients had this little problem...it was a cancer-causing substance. :shock:
I believe the FDA has discovered another adulterant in that med that is NOT healthy for human use, courtesy of its Chinese manufacturer. :roll:
And it's hard to forget the melamine that ended up in Chinese-sourced pet food, killing many animals. :(
Or the formaldehyde-contaminated particle board from Chinese manufacturers.
Or the....well, you get my point.
I'm happy that Hong Kong horses can find a happy retirement in NZ, but I really hope that Conghua's safety protocols are really, truly, ACTUALLY safe. :oops:
RugbyGirl

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm

I just noticed I missed the link on my first comment
https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/artic ... quarantine

Yes I agree with all of your comments but Conghua was built and run by the Hong Kong Jockey Club. They control all horse and people movements in and out of the complex and all horse movements are controlled with military efficiency

This is a old article from SCMP but describes the challenges and work that the HKJC have done on biosecurity and quarantine issues
https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/artic ... -treatment

Plus more recently from New Zealand media
https://www.racingnews.co.nz/blog/post/ ... goes-live/
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Sparrow Castle

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Just when I needed to see a little good news on a bad day, there's Angus. Just look at how well he's walking...looks like he's considering what he wants to do in his next career, lol!

The Player is at Indian Ridge Farm / OTTBs / English Riding Lessons.
4 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
Check this video out that Maria Kabel sent me. He is walking so good and all i can say is WOW! He has been watching daily all the other horses doing the jumps so today Angus got to explore the jumps. And NO we are not going to jump him!
Video: https://www.facebook.com/17645025005171 ... 709934845/
genuinerizk

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:15 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:58 pm
Big Tire (Candy Ride), who began his career on the big stage, racing along side California Chrome and Hoppertunity in the 2014 Santa Anita Derby has ended up running in claimers at Thistledown. Last week (9/27/17), he was a DNF in race 7 - "injured nearing the far turn, pulled up and vanned off". Any news would be greatly appreciated.

WarBiscuit
Looking at Canter Ohio’s site today - Big Tire
Is listed for sale!
ThreeMustangs

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Just when I needed to see a little good news on a bad day, there's Angus. Just look at how well he's walking...looks like he's considering what he wants to do in his next career, lol!

4 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
Check this video out that Maria Kabel sent me. He is walking so good and all i can say is WOW! He has been watching daily all the other horses doing the jumps so today Angus got to explore the jumps. And NO we are not going to jump him!
We visited Angus today at the Indian Ridge open house. He looked great. Brass Hat did, too. I’ll try to upload photos later.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:47 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:

4 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
We visited Angus today at the Indian Ridge open house. He looked great. Brass Hat did, too. I’ll try to upload photos later.
That's wonderful, ThreeMustangs! I always liked both those horses (and their people), but Angus and his goofiness just stole my heart. And it's no small feat to recover from what he's gone through, pretty amazing really. I'd love to see pics and hear about your visit.