Waiting for news on ...

Old Bones

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Ian Wilkes announced last month that Cicatrix was injured. No explanation. DOes anyone have an update or know what happened?
Katewerk

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Troublewithatee appeared to suffer a bad breakdown at Mahoning Valley R4.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Troublewithatee#
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Onde Ah Mo appeared to go wrong in the 1st at Santa Anita, a 1 mile MSW taken off the grass. I'm worried because Franco was trying to pull him up but, after they left the camera view, was unseated from the horse. A riderless horse will often try to keep moving, creating further injury. :(
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Onde Ah Mo appeared to go wrong in the 1st at Santa Anita, a 1 mile MSW taken off the grass. I'm worried because Franco was trying to pull him up but, after they left the camera view, was unseated from the horse. A riderless horse will often try to keep moving, creating further injury. :(
Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
Onde Ah Mo has been euthanized following his injury in the first race, according to the Santa Anita stewards.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Cash Prize went down near the wire in the Camilla Urso (may have that spelling wrong) at Golden Gate, and that caused another horse to fall as well. Have to say that I don't see many breakdowns on GG's synthetic...maybe they clipped heels? :(
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Boom Boom Bango leaped in the air leaving the gate in the 9th at Santa Anita, and then appeared to wrong heading down the backstretch.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Dial Me In was clearly injured in the 3rd at Santa Anita when the leader, Wild Lando, veered out sharply in the stretch, slamming into DMI, who then hit Faversham. Faversham was able to finish the race, but I think Dial Me In went down. :(
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Dial Me In was clearly injured in the 3rd at Santa Anita when the leader, Wild Lando, veered out sharply in the stretch, slamming into DMI, who then hit Faversham. Faversham was able to finish the race, but I think Dial Me In went down. :(
Not surprising but very sad...

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
12m12 minutes ago
Dial Me In has been euthanized after he fractured his shoulder during the incident in the third race at Santa Anita, trainer Jim Cassidy said.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Damn. :(
This incident is a sad reminder that when half-ton horses run into each other at 30-40 mph, bad, bad things can happen.
Whenever I hear someone say, 'they should just let them play,' whenever stewards DQ a horse for contact during a race, I just want to scream #^%& #%^, #%^ #^%&!*@ idiot!!!
Men running up and down a court or field may be 'play.' Horses running full tilt on breakable legs with equally-breakable riders is NOT 'play.' :evil:
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm

I think I'm going to be sick.

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
1m1 minute ago
Per the track vet, The Player will be evaluated for apparent fracture in right front. Kimzey splint applied, Bradley rode with horse in ambulance to barn #FairGrounds

Ellis Starr @Ubercapper
The Player eased turning for home. Great job by Calvin to pull him up quickly when he was stopping. My thoughts are with him and the Bradley's.
Old Bones

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:36 pm

I am sick about The Player. Hoping for positive outcome. Have known this colt since he was a foal.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Lots of us got to know him a little with the stories about his habit of sitting down and photos of him laying his head under his stall webbing so he could beg for more treats. I really hope the big goof can be saved, but 'fracture in right front' sounds ominous. :(
Paulick article: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... d-stretch/
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:07 pm

I know him only from Buff's FB page and fell in love with him. Praying hard...

The Player has two fractured sesamoids in his right front leg
The Player, the popular chestnut horse who was pulled up on the far turn as the favorite in the New Orleans Handicap, fractured both sesamoids in his right-front leg, trainer and co-owner Buff Bradley said about a half-hour after the race.

"Obviously we're trying to save him. Right now we’re sending X-rays to the surgeon to see what to do," said Bradley.

The Player took the lead before the first turn Saturday under Calvin Borel but after setting a moderate pace to the half-mile pole he was overtaken by two horses, lost his position, and began to fade. He took no obvious bad step but was pulled up at about the 5/16 pole in distress while staying on his feet. The Player was fitted with a Kinsey splint, walked onto the equine ambulance, and taken back to Bradley's barn.

We'll update this story at drf.com as more details become available.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/41339-the-p ... -front-leg

Bradley Racing Stable & Indian Ridge Farm shared The Player's post
My trainer asked me if I wanted to get up today. I mean really, didn’t I do enough yesterday? — at Fair Grounds Race Course and Slots.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... dley-farm/
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Judging by that photo, The Player is a reincarnated Irish Setter.
But...TWO fractured sesamoids? :(
Didn't we recently lose Mourinho to a similar injury?
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 pm

Maria Kabel is with William Buff Bradley and 2 others.
1 hr ·
The player Update: He has broken both sesmoids right front ankle he is comfortable and is on his was to LSU for surgery Buff and Carl are going to let them do anything they can to save him Please keep Buff and Carl and everyone at Bradley Racing Stables and Indian Ridge Farm in your prayers this would be hard with any of our horses but I know this horse means so much to everyone and we appreciate everyone’s well wishes and prayers it means a lot I will update again as soon as I hear something

Everyone keep The player in your prayers and please do not bother Buff or Kim as they are obviously devastated as all of us are ,I cannot disclose the nature of the injury at this time But I can assure you everything and anything will be done to save him
lurkey mclurker

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Judging by that photo, The Player is a reincarnated Irish Setter.
But...TWO fractured sesamoids? :(
Didn't we recently lose Mourinho to a similar injury?
I'm no vet but a lot will depend on the severity - clean break, or fragments? etc - and if they can maintain blood supply to the ankle/hoof, if there are complications during/after surgery, if laminitis develops, if colic develops... so many things can go wrong even if everything goes right. :(

Pulling for this guy... <3 :::crosses everything:::
lurkey mclurker

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/41353-the-p ... rtable-now
The Player will undergo surgery Monday at the Louisiana State University equine hospital in an attempt to repair his broken right front leg. The Player fractured both right front sesamoids, bones in the ankle joint, during the running of the New Orleans Handicap on Saturday at Fair Grounds.

The Player was pulled up on the far turn by jockey Calvin Borel, splinted, and vanned back to trainer and part owner Buff Bradley’s barn at Fair Grounds, where the specific nature of the injury was diagnosed.

Bradley, in s text message sent about 7:00 Central on Saturday evening, said he was en route with the horse to LSU. Bradley said surgeons will try to fuse The Player’s ankle

“So we will try to save him but know it won't be easy and we will not let him suffer,” Bradley said.

Even if the surgery succeeds, horses run the risk of contracting laminitis, which often proves catastrophic, during recovery from such injuries.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm

I feel so bad for them. The Player's been such a special horse in that barn and on the farm. It may take a miracle to save him, but miracles have been known to happen.

As I watched the race, I saw no obvious "bad step." He just started fading back and then it looked like Calvin pulled him up pretty quickly. I haven't wanted to go back and watch it again though. #poweruptheplayer
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Equine Info Exchange @EquineInfoEx
38m38 minutes ago
The Player, injured today at Fair Grounds, is resting comfortably and eating his hay. He will undergo surgery Monday by Dr McCauley and his staff. They will fuse the ankle and stabilize it. An update will be provided by his connections. We wish him the very best. #HorseRacing
Jumron

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:13 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:I feel so bad for them. The Player's been such a special horse in that barn and on the farm. It may take a miracle to save him, but miracles have been known to happen.

As I watched the race, I saw no obvious "bad step." He just started fading back and then it looked like Calvin pulled him up pretty quickly. I haven't wanted to go back and watch it again though. #poweruptheplayer
I couldn't see the race and didn't know the results until later, but when I heard The Player had gotten injured I got sick to my stomach. Rooting for him to have a successful surgery and things go his way...seeing him resting calmly in his stall gives me hope in that he has the right attitude to get through this. (Crossing fingers and toes.)
Laughter is an instant vacation.....Milton Berle