Waiting for news on ...

Katewerk

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:57 pm

peeptoad wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The veteran Spud Spivens was eased at the top of the stretch in the 6th at Santa Anita. The last glimpse I got was of Garcia pulling him up as the horse bore out wide toward the outer rail.
That horse has run for a long time and was a decent runner, although now he's running in lower-level claiming. I really hope he's going to make it to retirement. :(
Hope this guy is okay. Been following him since his debut.
I think he's ok. The facebook page published two photos of him on March 9th, one that looks to be new, and results of his March 9th race.

https://www.facebook.com/Spud-Spivens-2 ... 6/?fref=ts
PONYRCR

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Royal Saint in the 8th at Laurel. He dropped like a stone. From the tone of voice of the track announcer I'm guessing it's not good news.

I was trying to watch this race and one at Oaklawn at the same time so I only caught Royal Saint going down out of the corner of my eye.

In an unfortunate coincidence about a decade or so ago I used to follow another horse named Royal Saint who also died in a race I was watching.
serenassong

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:41 pm

PONYRCR wrote:Royal Saint in the 8th at Laurel. He dropped like a stone. From the tone of voice of the track announcer I'm guessing it's not good news.

I was trying to watch this race and one at Oaklawn at the same time so I only caught Royal Saint going down out of the corner of my eye.

In an unfortunate coincidence about a decade or so ago I used to follow another horse named Royal Saint who also died in a race I was watching.

Chart says he broke down and fell- that generally means he has been released from pain.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
PONYRCR

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:42 pm

serenassong wrote:
PONYRCR wrote:Royal Saint in the 8th at Laurel. He dropped like a stone. From the tone of voice of the track announcer I'm guessing it's not good news.

Chart says he broke down and fell- that generally means he has been released from pain.
That's what I was afraid of.
PONYRCR

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Found a tweet on Twitter from Jim Dunleavy that Royal Saint was euthanized. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Nowalking was pulled up on the backstretch of the Triple Bend at Santa Anita. He was moving very awkwardly but his rider was having a hard time getting him stopped. :(
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Nowalking was pulled up on the backstretch of the Triple Bend at Santa Anita. He was moving very awkwardly but his rider was having a hard time getting him stopped. :(
Jeremy Balan‏ @BH_JBalan
Phil D'Amato says Nowalking injured himself in Triple Bend. Didn't disclose details, but said "owners will have a tough decision to make"
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Two horses went down approaching the quarter pole of the 7th at Gulfstream (a 1 1/16-mile $25,000 maiden claiming on the grass), Stormy's Return and Tito Control. It looked bad, never good when two horses fall.

ETA: Caton Bredar just gave an update on the horses; Tito Control looks to be OK but will be checked back at the barn, Stormy's Return was euthanized on the track. :( Both jocks were up and walking.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

The Ron Ellis-trained Bobbie Lincoln, winner of the 5th at Santa Anita, was dismounted on the backstretch by Joe Talmo after her win. Vanned off, per TVG.
:(
peeptoad

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 am

Katewerk wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The veteran Spud Spivens was eased at the top of the stretch in the 6th at Santa Anita. The last glimpse I got was of Garcia pulling him up as the horse bore out wide toward the outer rail.
That horse has run for a long time and was a decent runner, although now he's running in lower-level claiming. I really hope he's going to make it to retirement. :(
Hope this guy is okay. Been following him since his debut.
I think he's ok. The facebook page published two photos of him on March 9th, one that looks to be new, and results of his March 9th race.

https://www.facebook.com/Spud-Spivens-2 ... 6/?fref=ts
Thanks katewerk
stark

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Nowalking was pulled up on the backstretch of the Triple Bend at Santa Anita. He was moving very awkwardly but his rider was having a hard time getting him stopped. :(
Jeremy Balan‏ @BH_JBalan
Phil D'Amato says Nowalking injured himself in Triple Bend. Didn't disclose details, but said "owners will have a tough decision to make"
Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman 1h1 hour ago

From this am at SA, some sad news to report: Nowalking, who fractured sesamoids in Triple Bend Saturday, had to be euthanized.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Condolences to his connections and to the folks who took care of him every day.
Last edited by Catalina on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Is it just my imagination, or are we really going through an extra bad batch of fatal breakdowns lately?
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:03 pm

I don't have the numbers, but it does feel like there have been more horses than usual not completing their races at Santa Anita. :?
Catalina

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 am

It sure does... :(
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Power of Hope, the favorite in the 3rd at Santa Anita, was pulled up on the backstretch. Looked like he 'went wrong.' :(
Catalina

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Power of Hope, the favorite in the 3rd at Santa Anita, was pulled up on the backstretch. Looked like he 'went wrong.' :(
First race in over a year, and they dropped him from MSW to Maiden Claiming.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Bronze Age, the favorite in the Sunland Derby, stumbled badly at the start. He recovered and got up to contend for the lead but, then on the backstretch, slowed suddenly and backed up through the field. Was far behind the field when he went off camera, and I don't think he crossed the wire. :(
MTO

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Bronze Age, the favorite in the Sunland Derby, stumbled badly at the start. He recovered and got up to contend for the lead but, then on the backstretch, slowed suddenly and backed up through the field. Was far behind the field when he went off camera, and I don't think he crossed the wire. :(

The chart says he stumbled at the start, eased in the backstretch and walked off.
Catalina

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:40 pm

MTO wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Bronze Age, the favorite in the Sunland Derby, stumbled badly at the start. He recovered and got up to contend for the lead but, then on the backstretch, slowed suddenly and backed up through the field. Was far behind the field when he went off camera, and I don't think he crossed the wire. :(

The chart says he stumbled at the start, eased in the backstretch and walked off.
Sounds like they ought to have vanned him off, rather than letting him walk off.