Waiting for news on ...

Re: Waiting for news on ...

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Good. Thanks for that update.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Delamont » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm

I was watching. SK crossed the line at what appeared to be a trot. Hope he cools out okay.
Delamont

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Since the race was moved off the turf, maybe he just hated the dirt.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Flanders wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I've always wondered...are there really more breakdowns than there were 40-50 years ago? Or are we given that impression because we now hear about all the injuries, due to greater transparency by the industry, plus the ever-present camera phones recording what happens on the tracks?
Were TBs really sounder a half-century ago? Or were the injured horses just sent off to the knackers, seen as the normal cost of the racing business, and few people saw a problem with that?
The public's feelings about animal welfare has changed dramatically since the days of Mustangs rounded up by the thousands for pet food.
I'm not saying that I think yesterday's racehorses weren't sounder. I just don't know, which is why I ask. :?

I doubt that they were that much sounder. I think its just easier to find information now and so many people report on injuries.

Why wouldn't they have been sounder? After all, the stock those horses was bred from was sounder and raced steroid and drug free. And they had four or five fewer generations of inbreeding in their pedigrees. It's the breed, I tell you, the breed. Stop staring at the dirt and start looking at what the breeding industry has done and continues to do to the thoroughbred horse.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Catalina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Why wouldn't they have been sounder? After all, the stock those horses was bred from was sounder and raced steroid and drug free. And they had four or five fewer generations of inbreeding in their pedigrees. It's the breed, I tell you, the breed. Stop staring at the dirt and start looking at what the breeding industry has done and continues to do to the thoroughbred horse.

And in this country more so than in Europe, I would guess. At least in parts of Europe.
Catalina

Postby peeptoad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Meteriod

He appeared to break down just now during the running of the 1st at the Spa. Think his right front was affected. It seems that a sad demise may be in store for the full brother to Ea (a horse that also left us too early)...
peeptoad

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Caton just relayed the sad news that he was euthanized on the track. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby peeptoad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:15 pm

peeptoad wrote:Meteoriod

He appeared to break down just now during the running of the 1st at the Spa. Think his right front was affected. It seems that a sad demise may be in store for the full brother to Ea (a horse that also left us too early)...

Euthanized. RIP Meteoroid. I hope he's in a heavenly field somewhere with his brother...
peeptoad

Postby peeptoad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Caton just relayed the sad news that he was euthanized on the track. :(

Saw that. I followed Ea his entire career and this guy for all his NA starts.... sad they're both gone too soon.
peeptoad

Postby Prairie Bayou » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:10 pm

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?