Waiting for news on ...

Re: Waiting for news on ...

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Looked like another breakdown at Saratoga, as Unbroken Chain (Hat Trick) was pulled up abruptly on the backstretch during the 11th race. And earlier in the race, the 10, Thirsty Donnerstag, was eased out of the race.
:(

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening
Unfortunately, Unbroken Chain becomes the fifth racing-related fatality of the Saratoga meet.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Catalina » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Looked like another breakdown at Saratoga, as Unbroken Chain (Hat Trick) was pulled up abruptly on the backstretch during the 11th race. And earlier in the race, the 10, Thirsty Donnerstag, was eased out of the race.
:(

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening
Unfortunately, Unbroken Chain becomes the fifth racing-related fatality of the Saratoga meet.

The NYRA Database shows 9 deaths since the beginning of the meet (July 22), some of which were training-related.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

In the 1st at Saratoga, Sweetneida went wrong and dropped her rider. Jock was up and walking, but the mare was loaded on to the horse ambulance to be taken back to her barn 'for further evaluation.'
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Indiano » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Gold Shield -- it's not categorized as an Equine Death, so I'm hoping he's O.K.

Horse: Gold Shield
Incident: FALL OF HORSE
Racing Type: Thoroughbred
Location/Type: Saratoga Racecourse (NYRA), Saratoga Main Track; Training
Date: 08/02/2017
Trainer: CLAUDE R. MC GAUGHEY III
Jockey/Driver: NICOLE DAANKANICH
Weather:
Gold Shield-Tr. Claude McGaughey-report of horse down and rider Nicole Daankanich unseated-Investigation continues
Indiano

Postby Indiano » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:01 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:In the 1st at Saratoga, Sweetneida went wrong and dropped her rider. Jock was up and walking, but the mare was loaded on to the horse ambulance to be taken back to her barn 'for further evaluation.'

Euthanized

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening 8m8 minutes ago
More
Sweetneida fractured both sesamoids in left fore and was euthanized. Sixth racing-related fatality of meet, 11th (incl training) since 7-22
Indiano

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Track surface, deterioration of the breed through inbreeding and too many roided-up, unsound stallions, or just plain bad luck?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 pm

I've always wondered...are there really more breakdowns than there were 40-50 years ago? Or are we given that impression because we now hear about all the injuries, due to greater transparency by the industry, plus the ever-present camera phones recording what happens on the tracks?
Were TBs really sounder a half-century ago? Or were the injured horses just sent off to the knackers, seen as the normal cost of the racing business, and few people saw a problem with that?
The public's feelings about animal welfare has changed dramatically since the days of Mustangs rounded up by the thousands for pet food.
I'm not saying that I think yesterday's racehorses weren't sounder. I just don't know, which is why I ask. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Flanders » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I've always wondered...are there really more breakdowns than there were 40-50 years ago? Or are we given that impression because we now hear about all the injuries, due to greater transparency by the industry, plus the ever-present camera phones recording what happens on the tracks?
Were TBs really sounder a half-century ago? Or were the injured horses just sent off to the knackers, seen as the normal cost of the racing business, and few people saw a problem with that?
The public's feelings about animal welfare has changed dramatically since the days of Mustangs rounded up by the thousands for pet food.
I'm not saying that I think yesterday's racehorses weren't sounder. I just don't know, which is why I ask. :?

I doubt that they were that much sounder. I think its just easier to find information now and so many people report on injuries.
Flanders

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

IN the 4th at Saratoga, a 1 1/16-mile $35,000 claimer taken off the turf, Smarty Kitten was far behind the four others left in the diminished field. I never saw him cross the wire, even though the camera lingered on the view of the finish line.
Just eased? Or injured? :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Le Beau Bai » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IN the 4th at Saratoga, a 1 1/16-mile $35,000 claimer taken off the turf, Smarty Kitten was far behind the four others left in the diminished field. I never saw him cross the wire, even though the camera lingered on the view of the finish line.
Just eased? Or injured? :(

Chart says he was eased and "made it off the track without the need for outside assistance"
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?