Waiting for news on ...

Re: Waiting for news on ...

Postby Izvestia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Seriously, we had a horse with the same injury and they put him down immediately. What's the point of having them endure more pain and suffering? It's not fair. I know some can be saved. But their quality of life is limited.
Izvestia

Postby Catalina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 am

Izvestia wrote:Seriously, we had a horse with the same injury and they put him down immediately. What's the point of having them endure more pain and suffering? It's not fair. I know some can be saved. But their quality of life is limited.

But then again, limited quality of life may be better than no life? If the surgery is feasible (medically and financially), I lean towards giving him the chance.
Catalina

Postby Izvestia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Do you think Barbaro had quality of life?

And if money was the answer, then why do so many badly injured horses (Irap) take a turn for the worse? The reality is that most of them with injuries like that don't make it. And it's a long, drawn out, painful death. It's awful.
Izvestia

Postby short_lead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Has there been any news about Admire Deus?
short_lead

Postby Catalina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Izvestia wrote:Do you think Barbaro had quality of life?

At the end, no, Barbaro didn't have quality of life, and to their credit, they had him put down. Yes, maybe a few weeks too late.

Izvestia wrote:And if money was the answer, then why do so many badly injured horses (Irap) take a turn for the worse? The reality is that most of them with injuries like that don't make it. And it's a long, drawn out, painful death. It's awful.

When it becomes obvious that they won't make it, they get euthanized, and that process works just as fast or slow, is just as painful or painless as when they are euthanized on the track.

You should have noticed by now that a lot of them are "good patients" and seem to accept their hospitalization as almost a game, as long as things overall continue to get better.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm

IIRC, Barbaro was improving. The complicated surgical repair to his broken leg was healing, and he even got to go outside to graze for a couple of days. His prognosis seemed hopeful.
Then he got laminitis. I forget whether if was the 'healthy' rear leg or his front legs, but things went downhill quickly.
I remember the shock I felt. It seemed like one day he was improving...and the next day he was gone. :shock: :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Sure, Barbaro's bad leg was healing, but the rest of him was degrading.He just looked skinny and unhealthy, especially as it worsened and they kept him alive.

Having just had a horse with an IV in his neck for 4 days with a staph infection- they really let you know when they aren't feeling well. I just don't think trying to save them is the most humane thing. Even if you have all the money in the world.
Izvestia

Postby lurkey mclurker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 pm

short_lead wrote:Has there been any news about Admire Deus?

Still NOTHING. Either they STILL haven't made a decision, or it's made but they don't want to say for whatever reason (ideally that he came out of surgery & is doing well, but I am so not optimistic that would be the actual news)... argh!!! :x
lurkey mclurker

Postby Ziggypop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Admire Deus has had surgery and so far so good according to an Aussie publication.
Ziggypop

Postby lurkey mclurker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Finally an update! And not what I was expecting, I am (cautiously, sooooo cautiously) happy for him and hoping for a speedy and unremarkable recovery! :::crosses everything:::

Darren Weir Racing‏ @DKWeirRacing

Admire Deus has had surgery and is recovering well. Still a long road to go but going in right direction. Thanks for all the well wishes.
6:31 PM - 24 Oct 2017
lurkey mclurker

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?