Waiting for news on ...

Re: Waiting for news on ...

Postby lurkey mclurker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Oh no OH NO he'd been doing so well!! He looked so fabulous in Twitter updates just yesterday!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please please please let him survive & recover. :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.racing.com/news/2017-10-17/admire-deus-out-of-caulfield-cup

Admire Deus is battling for life with the Japanese galloper being transferred from Warrnambool to Ballarat for emergency surgery after breaking down on Tuesday morning.

Jarrod McLean, Darren Weir's foreman at Warrnambool, said on Tuesday morning that the horse, who was to run in Saturday's $3.15million BMW Caulfield Cup, had sustained a serious leg injury that had put his life in danger.

"I reckon it's still touch and go," McLean told RSN 927's Racing Pulse.

"As far as rehabilitation goes it’s a horrific injury and I would be surprised if he raced again."

McLean explained what exactly happened in what was supposed to be Admire Deus' final piece of work for Saturday's Cup.

"He was out having his final gallop - Johnny Allen came down to partner him," McLean said.

"Absolutely no criticism of the club, absolutely beautiful surface to gallop on, it's just one of those things.

"He was working with his mate Burning Front, and about 100m out, he came to his outside to join him and hopefully run past him - initially it looked like he had broken a leg. Johnny had him pulled up quite quickly, but kept him to his feet.

"We were able to get him into the horse ambulance and back to our stables. We've since had a scan and an X-ray, and there's no breaks or fractures, but there is fragments of bone. On scan, it looks like he's done the ligaments in the lower part of the suspensory.

"It's pretty horrible - the pastern joint is close to the ground.

"We've made him as comfortable as we can - we've put a splint on him - and he's in the process of being transported to Ballarat for further information."
lurkey mclurker

Postby lurkey mclurker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Not the news I was expecting, but not the news I wanted either. :cry:

https://www.punters.com.au/news/waiting-game-with-admire-deus_163120/
Japanese import Admire Deus remains under the care of vets at the Ballarat Clinic after suffering a horrific leg injury in a track gallop at Warrnambool on Tuesday.

Australian Bloodstock's Jamie Lovett said vets were doing everything to keep Admire Deus comfortable.

"There’s no change, we’re probably in a holding pattern with the horse," Lovett told RSN.

"The vets are doing everything they can to make him comfortable, but it’s a pretty horrific injury he’s sustained."

"Unfortunately the prognosis is probably not that good, but we are giving him every chance."

Lovett said surgery was not possible at this stage.

"His fetlock is basically not in a good way."

"We can’t (operate) at this stage, they’re trying to stabilise the fetlock and there’s issues with blood supply.

"He’s comfortable and that’s the main thing from our point of view."

Admire Deus had firmed into favouritism for the Caulfield Cup at the start of the week and Lovett said Darren Weir had the horse in great order.

"Talking to Weiry yesterday, the horse had the perfect preparation."

"He made comment there’s not a sounder horse in the stable, it’s just one of those things."

Admire Deus finished fourth in the Group One Tenno Sho back in April before heading to Australia.
lurkey mclurker

Postby serenassong » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:Oh no OH NO he'd been doing so well!! He looked so fabulous in Twitter updates just yesterday!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please please please let him survive & recover. :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.racing.com/news/2017-10-17/admire-deus-out-of-caulfield-cup

Admire Deus is battling for life with the Japanese galloper being transferred from Warrnambool to Ballarat for emergency surgery after breaking down on Tuesday morning.

Jarrod McLean, Darren Weir's foreman at Warrnambool, said on Tuesday morning that the horse, who was to run in Saturday's $3.15million BMW Caulfield Cup, had sustained a serious leg injury that had put his life in danger.

"I reckon it's still touch and go," McLean told RSN 927's Racing Pulse.

"As far as rehabilitation goes it’s a horrific injury and I would be surprised if he raced again."

McLean explained what exactly happened in what was supposed to be Admire Deus' final piece of work for Saturday's Cup.

"He was out having his final gallop - Johnny Allen came down to partner him," McLean said.

"Absolutely no criticism of the club, absolutely beautiful surface to gallop on, it's just one of those things.

"He was working with his mate Burning Front, and about 100m out, he came to his outside to join him and hopefully run past him - initially it looked like he had broken a leg. Johnny had him pulled up quite quickly, but kept him to his feet.

"We were able to get him into the horse ambulance and back to our stables. We've since had a scan and an X-ray, and there's no breaks or fractures, but there is fragments of bone. On scan, it looks like he's done the ligaments in the lower part of the suspensory.

"It's pretty horrible - the pastern joint is close to the ground.

"We've made him as comfortable as we can - we've put a splint on him - and he's in the process of being transported to Ballarat for further information."

This sounds really bad, hoping he can pull thru.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Two horses just went down before the finish line in the 7th at Santa Anita...Hawk's Journey and Warren's Crystalized, if I heard correctly. :(
You know it's bad when Wrona goes to the word "crashed."

ETA: Joe Talamo is up and walking, Israel Ocampo being transported to the hospital with what may be a broken nose and injured wrist. TVG keeps going on and on about how dangerous the sport is for riders (we know that), but aren't giving any news on the two horses, other than WC went down and the other horse fell over.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby genuinerizk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 pm

According to Bloodhorse - Warren's Crystalized was euthanized due to severe fractures of her front legs. It sounds horrible.
genuinerizk

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 am

I just don't have a good feeling, at all... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Admire Deus decision on Sunday
Andrew Eddy@fastisheddy 21 October, 2017

The fate of injured Japanese stayer Admire Deus will be known on Sunday.

Trainer Darren Weir told reporters at Caulfield after the win of Snitzepeg that an insurance veterinarian will examine the horse's badly damaged leg which forced him out of the Caulfield Cup and instead into a fight for his life.

A solemn Weir confirmed that a decision would be made regarding the stayer's future by the end of the weekend.

"There are two options," he said. "They operate on him on Monday or they put him down."

Admire Deus was shaping as one of the favourites for the Caulfield Cup until he broke down badly at the end of a track gallop at Warrnambool on Tuesday.

lurkey mclurker

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:17 am

"...an insurance veterinarian..." ???

Are we talking about a situation where INSURANCE will decide whether it's worth trying to save the horse? :shock:
Yeah, I have a real bad feeling, too. :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 am

I think I read it the other way... that the connections may have decided it's best to euthanize, but it has to be approved by the insurance company? I think that's the standard practice?

I dunno. Miracles have happened... but I just don't know. :( :( :(
lurkey mclurker

Postby Le Beau Bai » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"...an insurance veterinarian..." ???

Are we talking about a situation where INSURANCE will decide whether it's worth trying to save the horse? :shock:
Yeah, I have a real bad feeling, too. :evil:

Here in the UK, certain injuries are deemed serious enough to warrant immediate euthanasia and the insurers will pay out. Other injuries require two seperate vets to perform assessments prior to euthanasia to determine whether an insurance payout can be given. Its designed to protect horses from being euthanised in cases where they could be saved / have good prognosis purely so the owner can collect the insurance pay out.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm

How much longer will this drag on... they keep saying he's comfortable, I hope to God that's actually true.

Vets to make call on whether to euthanise Admire Deus today
Leo Schlink, Herald Sun
an hour ago

ADMIRE Deus’ fate will be known today.

The stricken Japanese star remains under sedation at the Ballarat Veterinary Clinic as experts decide whether to operate on the import or euthanise him.

The former Caulfield and Melbourne Cup favourite suffered an horrific suspensory ligament injury to his nearside leg during trackwork at Warrnambool six days ago.

Darren Weir said Admire Deus was “comfortable as possible.”

“But I think everyone is aware this is a very, very serious injury,” he said. “A decision will be made this afternoon.”

Admire Deus, which was bought from Japanese interests by Australian Bloodstock, was inspected by an insurance agency vet yesterday.

He will be scoped again today by other vets before a decision in made on his future.

The unusual nature of the injury prompted Ballarat veterinary experts to seek other opinions on the best course of treatment.

But there are increasing fears the chestnut could suffer terminal laminitis if blood flow to a badly damaged joint is compromised.

https://t.co/nejEnpDSKe
lurkey mclurker

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?