Waiting for news on ...

Re: Waiting for news on ...

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 pm

While it's a good sign that Sudden Sam was able to walk on to the horse ambulance, we know that doesn't always mean he's completely OK. :?
I just hope that some serious injury wasn't discovered once he was examined back at his barn.
ETA: I just found a DRF 'nugget' and it does not make it sound like SS was OK. :(

Santa Anita: Frey avoids injury in 7th race spill
Jockey Kyle Frey, who won Friday's sixth race, was fortunate to avoid a serious injury in Friday's seventh race when his mount - Sudden Sam broke down badly in the stretch of a $16,000 claimer at a mile.
Sudden Sam, a 7-1 shot, was racing in second in a field of seven when he was injured and fell. Frey was thrown clear and scrambled under the inside rail.
Frey walked into the ambulance and was taken to the track's first aid department, which is mandatory after accidents.
Sudden Sam, a 4-year-old gelding, has won 3 of 11 starts. The incident could have been worse. Jockey Tyler Baze was racing behind Sudden Sam on Old Man Lake, and managed to urge his mount to hurdle the stricken horse and avoid being part of the spill.
The race was won by Chris and Dave ($19.80) who led into the stretch.
There were two claims submitted for Sudden Sam, which were voided because of the injury.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36900
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 pm

TVG just showed a tape-delayed replay of just the stretch run of the G2 Nassau from Woodbine...because the favorite Catch a Glimpse pulled up and fell sometime during the race.
She apparently got up, but...still waiting for an update on her condition.
Such a wonderful, speedy filly. I hope she's OK. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:TVG just showed a tape-delayed replay of just the stretch run of the G2 Nassau from Woodbine...because the favorite Catch a Glimpse pulled up and fell sometime during the race.
She apparently got up, but...still waiting for an update on her condition.
Such a wonderful, speedy filly. I hope she's OK. :(

Alicia Wincze Hughes‏ @BH_AHughes
Per Mark Casse via text, Catch a Glimpse "bled bad she collapsed. She's up and walked on the van and is back at the barn being examined"

Alicia Wincze Hughes‏ @BH_AHughes
Casse added that Catch a Glimpse had never bled before previously. "Very scary" he said. Will keep posted on her condition ASAP.
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Damn. :o :(
Can a horse bleed so badly that it cuts off their air?
Poor girl.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat May 27, 2017 5:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Damn. :o :(
Can a horse bleed so badly that it cuts off their air?
Poor girl.

Oh yeah. It's a scary thing to witness and for the horse, coughing and with blood spewing from their nostrils. She'll be well managed, and hopefully recover fully. It puzzles me that it happens in horses who aren't known to be bad bleeders, but I've seen it before.
Sparrow Castle

Postby sweettalk » Sat May 27, 2017 7:55 pm

she seems fine (relatively) and is looking for treats but a vet recommended they stop on her. it's in various twitter posts, too lazy to link them all, but it sounds like she'll recover well. she's earned her retirement, so if she goes that way (and i hope she does, this sounds really serious.. well, all bleedings are really, but that tangent isn't required) i'll miss her, but i'll be glad to see her going out with her best interests in mind.

https://twitter.com/BH_AHughes here's a link to several updates. i stopped being lazy.
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Health emergencies are on the rise near that sword. A class-action suit is pending.
sweettalk

Postby Diver52 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Sudden Sam--its hard to imagine a fall like that and the horse could be humanely walked even into the ambulance. I do remember a race several years ago, I think at Hollywood Park--a horse duelling for the lead in deep stretch fell hard. Turned out he had tripped over his rival's foreleg, and was fine. Teasing Bernie IIRC.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Bad day at Santa Anita, as Calli's Way broke down in the stretch of the Snow Chief. Sounded like it was a catastrophic injury. :cry:
And then in the next race, a maiden claiming for fillies that was the last on the card, a horse went wrong (Sneak Play, maybe?) and was pulled up nearing the wire. At the same time, another horse went down around the 8th pole, but since that was off-camera, I couldn't see what happened. :(
With TVG's crew ending their on-track holiday broadcast, there may not be any updates from TVG on those two horses and their riders.

ETA: per DRF's article, Calli's Way was euthanized.
http://www.drf.com/news/marckies-water- ... ief-stakes
At the end of that article, there is a brief mention of the 9th race.
The Snow Chief Stakes was the day’s eighth race. In the final race, a five-furlong race for maiden claimers, Stormin Tina fell heavily in the final furlong of her first career start.

No info on what happened to either Stormin Tina or Sneak Play. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Diver52 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Not a lot of new fans made at Santa Anita. :(
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Dusty » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Santa Anita Race 10 -5/29 from the Chart notes:

SNEAK PLAY dueled five wide then three deep on the turn and outside the winner into the stretch and until past midstretch, then was pulled up in the final sixteenth but walked off. STORMIN TINA dueled between horses then fell back into the turn, stalked outside or off the rail on the bend and broke down and fell in midstretch. The stewards conducted an inquiry into the stretch run before ruling STORMIN TINA broke down on her own.

I DO NOT know the outcome for Stormin Tina - but it does not look good. A very sad day at Santa Anita

On The Snow Chief - Rafael is okay and is expecting to ride on Thursday... RIP Callie Way
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?