Horse: Just Whistle
Incident: RACING INJURY
Racing Type: Thoroughbred
Location/Type: Belmont Park (NYRA), 1/4 pole; Racing
Date: 06/09/2018
Trainer: MICHAEL R. MATZ
Jockey/Driver: JOSE L. ORTIZ
Weather: 75* Clear
Just Whistle-Tr-M. Matz-pulled up at the 1/4 pole- vanned off in the 13th race.
https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/searchb ... p?ID=14528
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 pm

From Facebook...

The Player is at LSU Farm and Large Animal Veterinary Services.
3 hrs · Baton Rouge, LA ·
So it has been just over 90 days since the big injury and surgery. Angus is holding his own and happy for all the care he is getting at LSU. He loves to go for his walks outside and is reluctant to go back to his stall. Still he is fighting infection around the plate and screws. Dr. McCauley is hopeful that we can leave the plate and screws until it is fully stabilized and he is expecting that to be another 30 days at which time he would remove the hardware since this could be a source of the infection. We sure would like to get him home this Summer. Thanks everyone for their prayers and good vibes. Hang in there buddy!
The Doctors Saint

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am

Three months with a persistent infection from the hardware and another month before it can be safely removed is not the best news. I really feel for all who are close to this very special horse. Is that a pressure sore on his hip?
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am

Agree. I also can't help but wonder WHY the infection is so persistent around the metal pieces. Aren't those items supposed to be sterile, surgical steel?
I'd hate to think that some antibiotic-resistant strain has taken hold in Angus's wound. :(
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 am

Chronic infection can be a complication in humans too after knee replacement surgery. They try very hard to cure the infection around and under the metal implants, similar to what they're doing for Angus. The body can handle low-level infection for some time. It's a last resort when they need to take out the metal implants and leave them out until the infection is gone, that's very crippling for humans.

I don't think it's a matter of not being sterile or there'd be an awful lot of lawsuits. And his metal parts don't have to be long-term. The leg just has to be healed enough to support him without the plate and screws.

I noticed what looked like hair loss near his left hip soon after surgery. Not sure what were seeing here. This boy has been through a lot. I'm just happy to see him still looking happy and bright, and I'm sure his wonderful people will do what's best for him. I just hope and pray it doesn't come to making that agonizing decision. Stay strong, Angus!
Psychotic Parakeet

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:55 am

Quant Savant. She was in the 3rd race at Pleasanton yesterday.

He fell down after the start, lost the jockey, got up, then ran for a little bit along the rail, leaped over it - but got caught up in it, and flipped over into the infield. Any word if she survived?
I wanna do bad things with you.
Katewerk

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I checked Twitter for you.

Chris Griffin @Inthegrandstand
19h19 hours ago

Update on incident Race 3: jockey Juan Hernandez was back up and is cleared ok. #2 Quant Savant stumbled at the break and did get loose on the infield. Has been loaded onto the horse ambulance was walking off under own power
Psychotic Parakeet

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Katewerk wrote:I checked Twitter for you.

Chris Griffin @Inthegrandstand
19h19 hours ago

Update on incident Race 3: jockey Juan Hernandez was back up and is cleared ok. #2 Quant Savant stumbled at the break and did get loose on the infield. Has been loaded onto the horse ambulance was walking off under own power
Thank you for that!

I was actually shocked to get a response from O'Neill's FB page about her. She apparently suffered some deep cuts and lacerations, needed stitches, but is thankfully alive and will recoup out there. I never seen anything like that happen in a race. Was shocked she didn't break her legs when hurdling into the railing. Very surprising outcome, and glad that at least Hernandez was able to escape serious injury as well.
I wanna do bad things with you.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Thank god, I was dreading what the outcome might be. Thank heavens the jockey escaped injury and the filly will recover!
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

From Facebook...

The Player
5 hrs ·
Got this picture today from Dr. Colin Mitchell(LSU vet). He and Dr. McCauley are very pleased this week with the progress that Angus is showing. The swelling has really gone down quite a bit. He is walking better and standing more squarely on it. Still more time involved before we can move on but it looks better every day. Come on Player you are doing it! Thanks for all the prayers and good vibes.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Wow, that's quite a photo! :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

I really hope he continues healing. Looks like he is going to be a bit of a challenge for farriers in the future to find a healthy angle for his hoof and fetlock.
MTO

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:32 pm

AMIGO - 7yo Gelding - Hard Spun x Dat You Miz Blue

Went wrong, DNF. Appears to be sudden hind leg issue. Race 7 - Laurel Park - Sunday, 7/15/2018.

Any news? Didn't look good.
genuinerizk

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Nope not good news for Amigo. Chart says "pulled up lame and euthanized". :cry:
Prairie Bayou

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Amigo was indeed euthanized. https://twitter.com/TheRacingBiz/status ... 25920?s=19

Apparently two other horses yesterday at Laurel were also lost. Not sure who. I was at Delaware.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
WarBiscuit

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Amigo was indeed euthanized. https://twitter.com/TheRacingBiz/status ... 25920?s=19

Apparently two other horses yesterday at Laurel were also lost. Not sure who. I was at Delaware.
6yo Minor Legend was euthanized at Laurel yesterday after being pulled up lame.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Prairie Bayou

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 am

Markeesa also broke down at Laurel today and was euthanized in race 8. So that is 3 in 24 hours Not good at all. :(
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:12 pm

From Facebook:
The Player
2 hrs ·
I have to thank very close friends(ok really family)Suzie Oldham, Jessica and Reagan Stith for going by LSU and seeing Angus! He is doing well and the report is that he loved his peppermints. I really can’t wait for him to come home. The vets X-rayed him again today and all screws and plate are in place and the ankle is fusing so we are happy about that. He has been there 4 months and may become the new LSU mascot if we don’t get him out of there. Thank you for the pictures Suzie and Jess!
serenassong

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Avanzare former Stakes Winner- comes back late in 2017 to claiming ranks- won a $10k race by a nose on 7/19- and vanned off.
Any news appreciated
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 pm

It appeared that Oscar Performance was pulled up in the Arlington Million. He was in the midst of a batch of horses who were making their move coming into the stretch, but then his rider eased him back. Looked like he may have been pulled up; never saw him cross the line.
:(
ETA: The folks on NBCSN showed an interview with Arlington's on-track vet, and she said Ortiz thought Oscar took a bad step, so pulled him up to be safe. The horse was loaded on the horse ambulance for a ride back to the barn, but the vet said he did not show any lameness or signs of injury.
Also, Oscar got interfered with by the horse who finished 3rd, and the 4th-place rider lodged an objection against him. Horse was DQ'd from 3rd and placed 4th.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.