In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
Sparrow Castle

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB

I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

2m2 minutes ago

I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit

That's how I feel too. I want to see them show up in the entries so I know they are still alive, but that's no guarantee they are out of danger.

Camarero has to make repairs to the barns. They make excuses that they are waiting for insurance money, but that is absurd. They started racing again before meeting the basic needs of the horses. Of course some of them can't perform well when they are standing in muck and not being cared for.

This made me too sad to post originally, but they need to be exposed for what's going on there. Carrio raced in the same race as Go Black Tie (who finished 3rd). It just breaks my heart.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/CMR122317PR5.pdf

Estimate well over 100 horses that survived Hurricane Maria at PR racetrack have died since (euthanized & died in stalls) due 2 colic, founder, infection, injury, neglect.... That's >10% of ~ 900 TBs reported 2 b on backstretch during Maria. Many deaths believed 2 b preventable!

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Same list, Alphabetical. Barns NOT fixed & conditions poor; some connections deciding NOT 2 do what's right if horse de-conditioned, ill, depleted, opting 2 neglect or euthanize. Non Facile & Que Problema raced Dec 23 & Carrio raced Dec 25. All raced safely, yet euth days-week after.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

More Shelley Blodgett Retweeted Shelley Blodgett
3-month moratorium on racing in PR post-hurricane exasterbated long-standing tensions between track owners & horsemen. There is escalated tensions abt purses & other $ issues. Both sides are focused on $, & fears are owners, trainers, grooms will get lower % purse or less $...1/2

2/2 there r lawsuits & counter-lawsuits being pursued; meanwhile, ~4 horses day r dying now! Horse welfare should be priority. They are backbone of Racing & make industry possible, but mostly b/c they are living, sentiment beings. 0 excuse many horses still in unsafe, often wet/mucky stalls
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Merciful Goddess...that sounds like the owners there have just written those horses off as losses...and don't want to spend a dime to keep them alive, let alone bring them back to health. :(
'Let the old horses die, buy younger ones for racing' seems to be their business plan. :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Diver52 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 am

It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Ziggypop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Diver52 wrote:It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.

No excuse for allowing their horses to wallow in abuse. None.
Ziggypop

Postby RuffiantoRags » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Pure ignorance and lack of responsibility. These owners should never be able to own a racehorse again!
RuffiantoRags

Postby firehorse » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.
firehorse

Postby genuinerizk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

I'm not understanding why this is still happening- where is the industry support and rallying and fundraising for these horses like there is/ was for the SLR fire victims?? Is it because, for the most part, these are US racing industry cast offs that are beyond the usefulness for the connections that exiled them to PR in the first place? Sad, sad state of affairs that represent the ugly truth of the life of a cast off racehorse.
genuinerizk

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?