What Are You Reading?

Somnambulist

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:14 pm

It will not die.

Half a Yellow Sun - I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I found every character except the one who goes MIA unlikeable. That's a shame.

After much prodding from a few people, I've started Len Grossman's The Magicians. Halfway through the first one and I'm both enjoying it and rolling my eyes are how talented the main character is. But I guess that's fantasy for you.. all these main characters are someone overly gifted. The "Harry Potter" for adults angle is so over-played.. and probably for people who don't read much fantasy. Or at least not very acclaimed/mainstream fantasy. Unless you want to start calling Rothfuss' still in limbo series adult Harry Potter too.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Sham

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:31 am

So the first chapter of Go Set a Watchman (Harper Lee) is up online at The Guardian, which is trying to make an event out of it. My main reaction is that I have no real positive or negative reaction considering that it's just the first chapter, other than a twinge that Lee wrote something almost certainly as "two furlongs" in the original text that's now been transmitted as "440 yards", because of course no one knows what a furlong is anymore.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... ockingbird
Soto, Suni, Sham, whichever.
Somnambulist

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 am

Sham wrote:So the first chapter of Go Set a Watchman (Harper Lee) is up online at The Guardian, which is trying to make an event out of it. My main reaction is that I have no real positive or negative reaction considering that it's just the first chapter, other than a twinge that Lee wrote something almost certainly as "two furlongs" in the original text that's now been transmitted as "440 yards", because of course no one knows what a furlong is anymore.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... ockingbird
I'm both looking forward to reading this, and not, if that makes sense.
Sham

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:40 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm both looking forward to reading this, and not, if that makes sense.
Seconded.
Soto, Suni, Sham, whichever.
Somnambulist

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:30 pm

The Night Circus.. Erin Morgenstern. Let me vomit.

Onto Simon Ings' Headlong.. which 87 pages in is already restoring my faith in story telling.
Grade1

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Just finished Blue Labyrinth, the 14th Pendergast novel by Preston and Child.

I've read them all, but I think it's been downhill since the first and best one, Relic. I can't fault them for originality or detail, but they're too far-fetched and have too many miraculous escapes. Pendergast has gotten too much like a superhero, not a real human being.

The ending of this one was a complete fiasco; what a mess. Thank God it wasn't part of a trilogy.
The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap.
stark

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Even though the book won't be released until Tuesday, I think the Clockerdude would prefer if I didn't clutter up his world so I'll repost it over here just in case...
stark wrote:For your reading or listening pleasure....

http://www.amazon.com/American-Pharoah- ... 1478939397
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Oh hey, this thread again. Perfect timing- one day last week I got home, sat down and read Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation start to finish. Absolutely loved it and am now working my way through the rest of the trilogy.
Somnambulist

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 pm

No Good Men Among the Living
No Country for Old Men
Catalina

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Got to the head of the waiting list for the newest Alex Delaware mystery.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:54 pm

stark wrote:Even though the book won't be released until Tuesday, I think the Clockerdude would prefer if I didn't clutter up his world so I'll repost it over here just in case...
stark wrote:For your reading or listening pleasure....

http://www.amazon.com/American-Pharoah- ... 1478939397
*snicker* You are so considerate. :mrgreen:
lurkey mclurker

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Oh, and I meant to post that I am reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars. Soon to be followed by William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back and William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return.

Happy 400, Will baby.
Tessablue

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Tessablue wrote:Oh hey, this thread again. Perfect timing- one day last week I got home, sat down and read Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation start to finish. Absolutely loved it and am now working my way through the rest of the trilogy.
Thoroughly enjoyed the second one, was a little let down by the third one. Overall highly recommended to anyone who likes weird fiction.
Somnambulist

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:18 am

Just finished the two I listed above, as well as Taking Care by Joy Williams.

Now onto The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak, which I'm 30% into and should have done by today. I guess this is what happens when you have nothing to do at work - 26 books read already this year! The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra is up next.
Somnambulist

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Oh hey, this thread again. Perfect timing- one day last week I got home, sat down and read Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation start to finish. Absolutely loved it and am now working my way through the rest of the trilogy.
Thoroughly enjoyed the second one, was a little let down by the third one. Overall highly recommended to anyone who likes weird fiction.
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm able to take this out via e-book for Kindle. I needed a new series for my "I have nothing to do at work book". So glad I went to college, but when I narrow it down at least I'm being paid 40 hours a week to further my love of reading!

I did finish The Sojourn, which was better than I was expecting considering the run on sentences. I think after that and McCarthy I just want someone who obeys the laws of English for a little bit.

It's a shame getting a PhD in English would pay CRAP.. I'd love to critique and then teach this stuff all day.
Tessablue

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm able to take this out via e-book for Kindle. I needed a new series for my "I have nothing to do at work book". So glad I went to college, but when I narrow it down at least I'm being paid 40 hours a week to further my love of reading!

I did finish The Sojourn, which was better than I was expecting considering the run on sentences. I think after that and McCarthy I just want someone who obeys the laws of English for a little bit.

It's a shame getting a PhD in English would pay CRAP.. I'd love to critique and then teach this stuff all day.
Ooh man that would be great, I'm dying to talk about it with someone! The first one is a nice quick read too. And if you have any recommendations for good weird fiction (Lovecraft or House of Leaves-esque, etc.) I'd love to hear it. I'm all-or-nothing (more often nothing) when it comes to finishing fictional books so I really prefer getting trusted recommendations before buying them.
Somnambulist

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 pm

I haven't read either. The Lovecraft train is one I've needed to get on for a long time.

My boyfriend is madly in love with Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut, the latter which I find incredibly weird, and the other weird.. probably because I've never been high/tripping?

I really want to start this series but keep making excuses:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/683 ... s_in_Spain
War Admiral

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Tessablue

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I haven't read either. The Lovecraft train is one I've needed to get on for a long time.

My boyfriend is madly in love with Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut, the latter which I find incredibly weird, and the other weird.. probably because I've never been high/tripping?

I really want to start this series but keep making excuses:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/683 ... s_in_Spain
Ooh I do enjoy me some Vonnegut, haven't read nearly enough of him. And I'll check out that series as well!

I can't really read a lot of Lovecraft at once, as it isn't the most elegant read and is mostly built on slowly ratcheting up tension (also some of his short stories are super racist...), but he was masterful at creating images that stick with you. And if you enjoy literary criticism, you should totally read House of Leaves- not to spoil anything, but despite the horror elements I think it's underappreciated as a sometimes-hilarious commentary on the field.
Somnambulist

Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Alright Commy. Unfortunately I had to actually work at work this week, but I finished Annihilation and am halfway done with Authority.
1. I hate Grace
2. I love the biologist
3. I don't know if this is suffering from second book syndrome, but it's not as captivating as book 1.
4. It is very well written, but for sci fi I should really expect no less

I am halfway done through a Tsar of Love and Techno, only because I REALLY don't want to finish it. The writing is wonderful and so are the stories.