What Are You Reading?

Matt Converse

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:16 am

Catalina wrote:Congratulations, Matt! Hang on to your hat and enjoy the ride - and work on your next opus!
I already have a full length novel completed. This is 22,000 words, my novel is 66,000. All part of my plan. This was my foot in the door project, I knew it would sell before the novel would. It's a fast fun read if you like this kind of stuff and has gotten some decent reviews. I'm pretty stoked! And, thank you.
Catalina

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:32 am

Matt Converse wrote:
Catalina wrote:Congratulations, Matt! Hang on to your hat and enjoy the ride - and work on your next opus!
I already have a full length novel completed. This is 22,000 words, my novel is 66,000. All part of my plan. This was my foot in the door project, I knew it would sell before the novel would. It's a fast fun read if you like this kind of stuff and has gotten some decent reviews. I'm pretty stoked! And, thank you.
Excellent then! You're setting a good example for all us timid prevaricators.
Somnambulist

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 am

Moloka'i - Alan Brennart. Awesome story but the main character was one of the oh, so unlucky, but also so lucky at the same time that makes everything seem not that believeable. Granted it's fiction. What do I expect.

Now onto Those Who Save Us - Jenna Blum. At the risk of sounding horrible, this book is supposed to show more of a German-sided viewpoint of things WW2 than I'm accustomed to, so I'm interested in seeing how the author is going to pull off such an understandably very sensitive issue.

What good is being sick if you don't get to sit in the corner of a sectional and do nothing but read and watch HGTV all day.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Matt Converse

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:52 am

It's my second full week of sales for my erotic gay thriller Behind the Velvet Curtain, only 65 pages but costs less than a sandwich. It's about an unlikely stripper and his twisted stalker. Very graphic sex scenes, not for the faint of heart. But erotica with a plot. Check it out if you want a fast, fun read. Support a new author!
http://sexfiles.cometpress.us/books/behind.html
(So I can get them to publish my horror novel, which is my real goal.)
BlindLucky

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 pm

The list--and hundreds of comments--have some great reading suggestions, if you like this sort of stuff. I know I do :D

10 Authors Who Wrote Gritty, Realistic Fantasy Before George R.R. Martin

http://io9.com/10-authors-who-wrote-gri ... 1695063524
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:49 am

BlindLucky wrote:The list--and hundreds of comments--have some great reading suggestions, if you like this sort of stuff. I know I do :D

Haven't heard of any of them, which is great. I only have my parents era of fantasy for recommendations (think Dragonriders of Pern lol) and the stuff one of my friends reads. Goodreads is great, but you wade through a lot of crap sometimes there.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BlindLucky

Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:31 am

Somnambulist wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:The list--and hundreds of comments--have some great reading suggestions, if you like this sort of stuff. I know I do :D

Haven't heard of any of them, which is great. I only have my parents era of fantasy for recommendations (think Dragonriders of Pern lol) and the stuff one of my friends reads. Goodreads is great, but you wade through a lot of crap sometimes there.
I wrote down a few suggestions from the comments. The list itself is pretty good, too. I really didn't care for the Stephen R. Donaldson books, but I might have been too young to read them--didn't really even know what leprosy was when I picked up the first book. Of course, I was about 10 yrs old and it was before the internet :lol:

Robin Hobb... those books are so good, but talk about kicking someone when they're down. And then kicking them again. And again. Great writing, but there are no happy unicorns and sparkly fairies in those stories.

--> My favorite horror/fantasy crossover stuff was written more recently by Lynn Flewelling. The Bone Doll's Twin (2001) starts one of my favorite trilogies ever. In fact, I picked it up because it's one of the books that George R.R. Martin said he couldn't put down :D
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
ElPrado2

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

Make it easy on yourself. Just read every thing Jonathan Kellerman ever wrote and will write in the future. And his wife and son both write pretty well, too.
War Admiral

Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm reading Green Rider by Kristen Britain. It's the first book in a fantasy series that a friend told me about and I love it. I think I'm going to have to go to Barnes and Noble today and get book 2 this afternoon.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Squally

Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 pm

War Admiral wrote:I'm reading Green Rider by Kristen Britain. It's the first book in a fantasy series that a friend told me about and I love it. I think I'm going to have to go to Barnes and Noble today and get book 2 this afternoon.
I've enjoyed that series too. My only complaint is there is a bit of a gap in between books. Seems like she takes two years or so to get the next one out.
ElPrado2

Sun May 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Still on a mystery kick. Going through Robert B Parker.
Catalina

Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:Still on a mystery kick. Going through Robert B Parker.
Likewise on the mysteries, except that I'm rapidly working my way through the Alex Delaware mysteries.
ElPrado2

Sun May 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Like I said before. Just read everything Kellerman writes. He's great.
Catalina

Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:Like I said before. Just read everything Kellerman writes. He's great.
Working on it!
swale1984

Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Watched The Theory of Everything a couple of weeks ago and just got Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. I dropped physics class, so who knows if I'll understand it, but I think his work is fascinating!
War Admiral

Tue May 05, 2015 10:01 am

Squally wrote:
War Admiral wrote:I'm reading Green Rider by Kristen Britain. It's the first book in a fantasy series that a friend told me about and I love it. I think I'm going to have to go to Barnes and Noble today and get book 2 this afternoon.
I've enjoyed that series too. My only complaint is there is a bit of a gap in between books. Seems like she takes two years or so to get the next one out.

It's that way with a lot of fantasy series. Its been about 4 years since the last George R. R. Martin book came out.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
ElPrado2

Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am

Keeping track of timelines while making them up out of whole cloth isn't exactly simple.
War Admiral

Fri May 22, 2015 10:05 am

I know. When creating a world such as George R. R. Martin does its not like writing a harlequin romance. :D

I'm sure that when the next book does come out it will be worth the wait.
TapitsGal

Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 am

I just finished The Grid Seeker
Catalina

Fri May 22, 2015 12:00 pm

With something as complex (and lengthy) as the Game of Thrones books, you got to work off an outline to keep all the various threads on track and meeting up as desired. Problem is, you may get started on the project without one, and then need to go back and retroactively create one (keeping in mind the published character development), which takes time. As does committing to where the thing is going, at least narrowing it down to a limited number of outcomes, which you may end up writing as alternate scenarios before making a choice. In short, you'll end up writing more than one "book" before committing to which one to send to the publisher.

And so, I think that may be the point Martin is at now, hence the delay. Once he finishes playing with the options, I'll think we will get the remaining volumes fairly fast.