What Are You Reading?

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Catalina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 pm

"Turn Right At Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time", by Mark Adams turned out to be an excellent book!

Bryson's "Walk Through the Woods", however, did not do well as a re-read.
Catalina

Postby Still on the Farm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:22 pm

The Atlantic and Its Enemies--A History of the Cold War by Norman Stone
Knowing how to read the Racing Form is not horsemanship.
Still on the Farm

Postby Tessablue » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I can't believe I'm 27 years old and reading a brand new His Dark Materials book. And it's so good.
Tessablue

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Just finished reading Eligible, by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Took a little bit to pick up, but Sittenfeld ultimately did a good job balancing the familiar and beloved with the new. I think it might also become a tv movie.

Now I'm on The Heart Goes Last, by Margaret Atwood. Definitely not the frothy fun of Eligible. :lol:
starrydreamer

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Now I'm on The Heart Goes Last, by Margaret Atwood. Definitely not the frothy fun of Eligible. :lol:

I put this off forever because of the reviews. I either love Atwood (Blind Assassin) or I don't (Cat's Eye), but I liked this one a lot. Which made me happy, since I paid for it as a hardcover.

I just finished Barren Island by Carol Zoref. I've been pretty fascinated by the lesser known islands around NYC lately and while the characters did zilch for me, the research that went into it is swoon-worthy. Now it's Kevin Hearne's A Plague of Giants. I did swear off any fantasy series with no ending but I so love Hearne that I just want to support him. There's probably nothing better than worldbuilding and this is just that.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:

I put this off forever because of the reviews. I either love Atwood (Blind Assassin) or I don't (Cat's Eye), but I liked this one a lot. Which made me happy, since I paid for it as a hardcover.

I just finished Barren Island by Carol Zoref. I've been pretty fascinated by the lesser known islands around NYC lately and while the characters did zilch for me, the research that went into it is swoon-worthy. Now it's Kevin Hearne's A Plague of Giants. I did swear off any fantasy series with no ending but I so love Hearne that I just want to support him. There's probably nothing better than worldbuilding and this is just that.

The more I think about The Heart Goes Last, the more I like it. I could have done without Stan's perspective, really, but I get why she put his voice in there.

Now I'm stuck on the waiting list for a bunch of books. Downside of libraries.
starrydreamer

Postby Matt Converse » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Check out my new novelette on Amazon, Leather Head. It's horror.
Matt Converse

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around