What Are You Reading?

What Are You Reading?

Postby Prairie Bayou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Well this thread is gone also. So I'm bringing it back.

To all creative people... Please read Austin Kleon's Steal Like An Artist!!!

Since I've finished reading The Mortal Instruments series and Infernal Devices series I'm onto the next Cassandra Clare novels.

Right Now I'm reading The Bane Chronicles: Rise Of The Hotel Dumort
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:12 pm

City of Thieves, David Benioff.

Started the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Very funny reads..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby neighhey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Just picked up a copy of "Churchill Downs 100th Kentucky Derby" at the local Goodwill for $3. It is fascinating! Each Derby winner from Aristides to Secretariat is profiled. I realized how very little I know about so many of the early winners. For example, Agile (1905) won from the number 1 post, though he didn't have to be nearly so agile as a modern day Derby entrant would need to be in breaking from that post--since there were only 3 starters in the race! The photographs really bring the past to life, and I've got to admit--the ads are fascinating as well (Black Gold's profile is sponsored by Ashland Oil). :D
neighhey

Postby Prairie Bayou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Has anyone read Divergent?
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby shenanigans » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm currently re-reading Pride and Prejudice, while eagerly waiting for the release of Jhumpa Lahiri's latest book, The Lowland.
shenanigans

Postby Flanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 am

I got Matriarchs and Matriarchs 2 for my birthday. I can't wait to read them both.
Flanders

Postby Man o Taz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 am

Re: Karin Fossum

Eva’s Eye - Excellent
He Who Fears The Wolf -Excellent
When The Devil Holds The Candle - Good
Indian Bride- OK but some loose ends not tied up.
Black Seconds – Better but some loose ends not tied up.
Don't Look Back – Same but some loose ends not tied up.

Fossum is good at discussing law enforcement procedures in detail so you get a good sense at what is involved.

Now on to Swedish author Ake Edwardson with Death Angels, then Sun and Shadow and finally Never End just to take a break from Fossum - but while I am waiting for the books to come in reading The Hanging by Swedish authors Lotte and Soren Hammer. Slightly skeptical since Keppler recommends this one and I did not like his The Hypnotist.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Man o Taz

Postby shenanigans » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am

I love Karin Fossum: she never disappoints me. Have you read Jussi Adler-Olsen's Keeper of Lost Causes? It's remarkable, and I just finished his second book published over here. And I am a huge, huge fan of Jo Nesbo: his latest is due out in October. Who ever knew there was so much crime in Scandinavia? ;) Still, my all time favorite is the 'Story of Crime' 10 book series by Maj Sjowall/Per Wahloo, which includes The Laughing Policeman. The series might seem dated now, but that is really where so many things began.....I think it's time to reread them.
shenanigans

Postby Man o Taz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 am

shenanigans wrote:I love Karin Fossum: she never disappoints me. Have you read Jussi Adler-Olsen's Keeper of Lost Causes? It's remarkable, and I just finished his second book published over here. And I am a huge, huge fan of Jo Nesbo: his latest is due out in October. Who ever knew there was so much crime in Scandinavia? ;) Still, my all time favorite is the 'Story of Crime' 10 book series by Maj Sjowall/Per Wahloo, which includes The Laughing Policeman. The series might seem dated now, but that is really where so many things began.....I think it's time to reread them.

Yes - I have read all of Adler-Olson's and really like Carl Morck. Looking forward to the next one. The Absent One I thought the best so far.

I'll keep Sjowall/Wahloo in mind since I recently read the first Inspector Morse novel - I am backlogged right now with the books mentioned above and have Nesbo's latest on order and yet to read Nesser's last DCI Van Veeteren - Hour of the Wolf...

Nesbo is my favorite. Larsson was good - but he has such a small amount of work. Harry Hole is great. The last book I read of his series ended up being The Bat which was a nice follow-up for me after the Phantom and once Police come's out his second Hole book - Cockroach will be out.

Someone suggested that if you think Nesbo is good in English you should try reading him in his native tongue - Norwegian - and that he is that much better there.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Man o Taz

Postby Catalina » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 am

Man o Taz wrote:
Yes - I have read all of Adler-Olson's and really like Carl Morck. Looking forward to the next one. The Absent One I thought the best so far.

Oh, good. I just requested "The Absent One" from the library.
Catalina

Next

Return to Horsin' Around