What Are You Reading?

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Tessablue » Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 pm

YEAH I'm so happy you're reading it! I love the biologist too, and the way the characters are drawn up/ the writing in general. Book two is definitely a slower start, but there are some awesome moments in the second half and I think I need to re-read it to fully appreciate some aspects of it. Which might be soon because I haven't gotten into another book yet, maybe it's time to finally crack open One Hundred Years of Solitude...
Tessablue
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Somnambulist » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Loved the ending of this book. Ran to get the third one.. actually had to buy it because the library didn't have it (ugh.. the struggle).

Apparently they are turning these into movies.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6835
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby BlindLucky » Wed May 11, 2016 9:28 pm

I bought Lev Grossman's The Magicians quite awhile ago and forgot I even had it. After becoming totally engrossed in the SyFy show, I picked up the book again. It's such a strange book. It's urban fantasy, but it makes me want to read it slowly and carefully, which isn't generally the way I approach fantasy. I love it :lol:

And I think I like the writing more than I do the characters, but they're interesting too. The book just has such a strange feel.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Somnambulist » Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I bought Lev Grossman's The Magicians quite awhile ago and forgot I even had it. After becoming totally engrossed in the SyFy show, I picked up the book again. It's such a strange book. It's urban fantasy, but it makes me want to read it slowly and carefully, which isn't generally the way I approach fantasy. I love it :lol:

And I think I like the writing more than I do the characters, but they're interesting too. The book just has such a strange feel.


The writing was very good, and I get you on the strange feel. I felt totally engrossed in it until I realized I HATED Quentin. Hate.

My level of hate of this must be impressive, because for the rate that I read I almost never remember character's names.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6835
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby BlindLucky » Wed May 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:I bought Lev Grossman's The Magicians quite awhile ago and forgot I even had it. After becoming totally engrossed in the SyFy show, I picked up the book again. It's such a strange book. It's urban fantasy, but it makes me want to read it slowly and carefully, which isn't generally the way I approach fantasy. I love it :lol:

And I think I like the writing more than I do the characters, but they're interesting too. The book just has such a strange feel.


The writing was very good, and I get you on the strange feel. I felt totally engrossed in it until I realized I HATED Quentin. Hate.

My level of hate of this must be impressive, because for the rate that I read I almost never remember character's names.

I thought the TV version was really good, one of the best fantasy things to come out of SyFy in... ever.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby ElPrado2 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 am

Invisible Boy by Cornelia Read. It's a dark mystery set in mostly New York and Long Island. I think Som wrote it. (LOL) It's excellent. The only thing that stops me from truly believing she wrote it is that there are no racing references. I may not have gotten far enough into it for the Spa.
My daughter dug it up for me for Mother's Day. For my sins she also dragged in a book about a 245 lb blue Great Dane named George with the honor of being on the Oprah show and making the Guinness Book the same day. While living in Tuscon. All 42" at the shoulder of him. Don't bother reading that one. My Jack Russell terrier could out write his owner. The dog also made the late night TV show circuit.
User avatar
ElPrado2
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Tessablue » Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 am

Somnambulist wrote:Loved the ending of this book. Ran to get the third one.. actually had to buy it because the library didn't have it (ugh.. the struggle).

Apparently they are turning these into movies.

I heard that too, but looking into it more, I think it's only the first movie and the writer/director hasn't even read the rest of the series. Some of the early details about the script are pretty discouraging too, but hopefully it isn't terrible. They really don't feel like works that would adapt well to the screen.

All this has encouraged me to go back and re-read House of Leaves, but I'm finding that I remember pretty much everything that happened in that book even though it's been almost ten years since I read it. Guess that's the sign of a really good book?
Tessablue
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Somnambulist » Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 am

Tessablue wrote:
All this has encouraged me to go back and re-read House of Leaves, but I'm finding that I remember pretty much everything that happened in that book even though it's been almost ten years since I read it. Guess that's the sign of a really good book?


It is.

I went to attempt to find Louise Erdich's new book yesterday. Which they did not have. Found a fiction novel based entirely on racing - The Sport of Kings. I didn't buy it since I hate buying hardcover. The reviews seem mixed.. I'll probably buy it for Kindle. Just kind of cool to see a fiction racing novel that actually might be well written.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6835
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby War Admiral » Sat May 21, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm reading Mirrorsight the latest book in Kristen Britain's Green Rider Trilogy. If you love epic fantasy I highly recommend this series.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
User avatar
War Admiral
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Midwest

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Prairie Bayou » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I just finished the first one in the series called Half Blood. I like her writing. She does YA and adult romance, fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tessablue and 4 guests