What Are You Reading?

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Catalina » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Slewgal wrote:Reading The Great Hunt, 2nd in the Wheel of Time series...good so far.

Ah, a new series. Looking forward to the first volume to show up at my local library, hopefully by the end of this week.
Catalina

Postby Miesque1973 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Referring to Nooks a little further back in this thread...

Sunday night, my Nook totally erased everything I had on it and went back to the previous software version. I know I didn't ask it to do that, so needless to say, I was rather hacked off. Actually, I was as mad as a wet hornet. I finally figured out how to upgrade it back to the right software version and restore everything, but I was ticked off.

I didn't lose anything aside from notes on a novel I'm working on (bwah!), and they're easy enough to re-write (though it still ticked me off mightily to have lost that much work), and I had to go back and buy an app I wanted, but it was extremely aggravating. Needless say, if you have any kind of documents that you write on your Nook, back them up on an SD card!

(I also bought a Bluetooth keyboard, which is great for 'bedwriting'. No, you didn't read that wrong. Bedwriting)

Anyway, back to the subject:

I'm reading King George V's Children and hope to start reading Pride and Prejudice. Soon. It was free, anyway, so I can get around to it any time in Kindle.

I also read Bloodstains, by Jeff Mudgett, which is a biography/fictional? account of the life of American's first serial killer, Herman Mudgett (aka H.H. Holmes), who murdered anywhere between 29 and 250 people in the late 1880's. I finished it fast and then got a refund from Amazon Kindle. Not because it was badly written, but because it just creeped me out. ::shudder::

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Man o Taz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Man o Taz wrote:Finally made it through The Hanging. Good story. Not the best ending. On to Death Angels.

Finally made it through Death Angels.

Now on to Sun and Shadow. It has to improve from Death Angels for me to read any more Edwardson. Death Angels had a good ending, but a lot to get there and the book was not that long.

Miesque1973 wrote:and hope to start reading Pride and Prejudice.

Jane Austen is one of the best. If you like Pride and Prejudice, then try her Persuasion or Emma. Darcy and Elizabeth are given a run for their money by the characters in these books.

If you have a chance to watch the movies...Jennifer Ehle is my favorite Elizabeth. Matthew MacFayden is my favorite Darcy.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Man o Taz

Postby Prairie Bayou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm

I am now reading Divergent by Veronica Roth until the next edition of The Bane Chronicles comes out. This is a great book too. It's nothing like The Mortal Instruments or Twilight but more along the lines of The Hunger Games (which I have not read). I can't help that I am an adult addicted to YA novels. Sometimes they are better than the adult books available. :D
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby Oldowan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Let's see...

Doctor Sleep, King's newest, was great.

Almost done with Horns by Joe Hill, and wow why do his novels have to be so depressing? At least in the beginning and the middle? (I doubt this one has a happy ending.)

The Political Systems of Highland Burma is great. E.R. Leach.

Picked up Harbor by "Sweden's Stephen King" whose name I am too lazy to spell right now, and I really need to read The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin before the third book comes out next year...but I finally did manage to read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

Waiting for Dan Simmon's newest later this month and the new Pendergast next month.

Basically, I don't have time to be doing any of this, but I can't stop reading for pleasure or I'll go insane.
Oldowan

Postby Flanders » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:I am now reading Divergent by Veronica Roth until the next edition of The Bane Chronicles comes out. This is a great book too. It's nothing like The Mortal Instruments or Twilight but more along the lines of The Hunger Games (which I have not read). I can't help that I am an adult addicted to YA novels. Sometimes they are better than the adult books available. :D

I read some YA and I'm not YA anymore. :)
Flanders

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Oldowan wrote:Basically, I don't have time to be doing any of this, but I can't stop reading for pleasure or I'll go insane.

Are you my soul? Because this is how I feel.

King's the Eye of the Dragon, and Hearne's fourth installment of the Iron Druid Chronicles. I don't even feel guilty reading the latter, since there are so many big GRE words in it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Oldowan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 am

Somnambulist wrote:Are you my soul?

I'm your shoulder-angel (or devil...?), and I'm telling you to keep reading stuff.
Oldowan

Postby ThreeMustangs » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:13 pm

My fellow e-book addicts may be interested in http://www.sribd.com, an e-book subsrciption service that "gives you access to unlimited e-books on any digital device for a fee of $8.99 a month. That will include most of the books on the HarperCollins backlist."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... -for-books

I've signed up for it; the selection of books is amazing.
ThreeMustangs

Postby ElPrado2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Some fan fiction on line, Harry Potter and the Summer of Change. Not quite as innocent as he was made out to be. :oops:
ElPrado2

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around