What Are You Reading?

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:54 pm

stark wrote:Even though the book won't be released until Tuesday, I think the Clockerdude would prefer if I didn't clutter up his world so I'll repost it over here just in case...

stark wrote:For your reading or listening pleasure....

http://www.amazon.com/American-Pharoah- ... 1478939397

*snicker* You are so considerate. :mrgreen:
lurkey mclurker

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Oh, and I meant to post that I am reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars. Soon to be followed by William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back and William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return.

Happy 400, Will baby.
lurkey mclurker

Postby Tessablue » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Tessablue wrote:Oh hey, this thread again. Perfect timing- one day last week I got home, sat down and read Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation start to finish. Absolutely loved it and am now working my way through the rest of the trilogy.

Thoroughly enjoyed the second one, was a little let down by the third one. Overall highly recommended to anyone who likes weird fiction.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:18 am

Just finished the two I listed above, as well as Taking Care by Joy Williams.

Now onto The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak, which I'm 30% into and should have done by today. I guess this is what happens when you have nothing to do at work - 26 books read already this year! The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra is up next.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Oh hey, this thread again. Perfect timing- one day last week I got home, sat down and read Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation start to finish. Absolutely loved it and am now working my way through the rest of the trilogy.

Thoroughly enjoyed the second one, was a little let down by the third one. Overall highly recommended to anyone who likes weird fiction.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm able to take this out via e-book for Kindle. I needed a new series for my "I have nothing to do at work book". So glad I went to college, but when I narrow it down at least I'm being paid 40 hours a week to further my love of reading!

I did finish The Sojourn, which was better than I was expecting considering the run on sentences. I think after that and McCarthy I just want someone who obeys the laws of English for a little bit.

It's a shame getting a PhD in English would pay CRAP.. I'd love to critique and then teach this stuff all day.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm able to take this out via e-book for Kindle. I needed a new series for my "I have nothing to do at work book". So glad I went to college, but when I narrow it down at least I'm being paid 40 hours a week to further my love of reading!

I did finish The Sojourn, which was better than I was expecting considering the run on sentences. I think after that and McCarthy I just want someone who obeys the laws of English for a little bit.

It's a shame getting a PhD in English would pay CRAP.. I'd love to critique and then teach this stuff all day.
Ooh man that would be great, I'm dying to talk about it with someone! The first one is a nice quick read too. And if you have any recommendations for good weird fiction (Lovecraft or House of Leaves-esque, etc.) I'd love to hear it. I'm all-or-nothing (more often nothing) when it comes to finishing fictional books so I really prefer getting trusted recommendations before buying them.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 pm

I haven't read either. The Lovecraft train is one I've needed to get on for a long time.

My boyfriend is madly in love with Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut, the latter which I find incredibly weird, and the other weird.. probably because I've never been high/tripping?

I really want to start this series but keep making excuses:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/683 ... s_in_Spain
Somnambulist

Postby War Admiral » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
War Admiral

Postby Tessablue » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I haven't read either. The Lovecraft train is one I've needed to get on for a long time.

My boyfriend is madly in love with Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut, the latter which I find incredibly weird, and the other weird.. probably because I've never been high/tripping?

I really want to start this series but keep making excuses:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/683 ... s_in_Spain

Ooh I do enjoy me some Vonnegut, haven't read nearly enough of him. And I'll check out that series as well!

I can't really read a lot of Lovecraft at once, as it isn't the most elegant read and is mostly built on slowly ratcheting up tension (also some of his short stories are super racist...), but he was masterful at creating images that stick with you. And if you enjoy literary criticism, you should totally read House of Leaves- not to spoil anything, but despite the horror elements I think it's underappreciated as a sometimes-hilarious commentary on the field.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Alright Commy. Unfortunately I had to actually work at work this week, but I finished Annihilation and am halfway done with Authority.
1. I hate Grace
2. I love the biologist
3. I don't know if this is suffering from second book syndrome, but it's not as captivating as book 1.
4. It is very well written, but for sci fi I should really expect no less

I am halfway done through a Tsar of Love and Techno, only because I REALLY don't want to finish it. The writing is wonderful and so are the stories.
Somnambulist

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around