Page 2 of 5

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 am
by BaroqueAgain1
Yeah, when I saw that the fall-a-lot Russian scored higher than Adam, it took me back to the bad old days when Russian opinions ruled the judging panels. :(

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am
by starrydreamer
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Yeah, when I saw that the fall-a-lot Russian scored higher than Adam, it took me back to the bad old days when Russian opinions ruled the judging panels. :(


Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.

But hey, Mirai Nagasu landed her triple axel! She's had so much trouble with nerves over the years that it was so great to see her skate with such confidence. Even if the Russian girl did blow her score out of the water.

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm
by Delamont
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A seventeen-year-old (Red Gerard, IIRC) just won gold in Men's Slopestyle. I think in a dangerous event like this, it probably helps to be so young that fear hasn't yet pitched a permanent tent in your mind.



That boy is amazing!

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 pm
by lurkey mclurker
And to bookend it, 17-year-old Chloe Kim wins gold in the women's halfpipe, with teammates Arielle Gold for bronze & Kelly Clark in fourth.

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm
by Starine
starrydreamer wrote:Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.


This.

And how about that Chloe Kim?! She is everything they said she was, and then some.

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm
by stark
Why do we need to know about the love lifes of Adam Rippon and Gus Kenworthy?

Is that newsworthy?

I remember back about 20 years or so there was an urgent blast from the Olympic Village.....the big fishbowl in the athlete's lobby that was stocked with FREE condoms is now empty! That was just about enough news for me, thanks.

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 pm
by Catalina
Starine wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.


This.

And how about that Chloe Kim?! She is everything they said she was, and then some.


The whole new scoring system seems so obtuse that it is unintelligible to most casual watchers, it's where the sport lost its audience.

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm
by stark
Catalina wrote:
The whole new scoring system seems so obtuse that it is unintelligible to most casual watchers, it's where the sport lost its audience.


Especially if you're color blind lookin at those little boxes!

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Hate to admit it, but the pair from North Korea can really skate. However, she is TINY! She's built like a child on puberty blockers. :oops:

Re: Winter Olympics watch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:01 am
by lurkey mclurker
They had a great skate. :mrgreen: (the phalanx of cheerleaders creeps me out though, can't lie :? )

Both Chinese pairs were fabulous too. <3