Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Irma

Postby PJMIII » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 am

Hurricane Irma: What we know now and where it's headed next

Hurricane Irma claimed the lives of at least 10 people across the Caribbean as the powerful Category 5 storm's 185-mph winds swept past Puerto Rico toward the Dominican Republic and Haiti. It could be on a collision course with South Florida over the weekend. If Irma hits the U.S. as a Category 5 storm, it would be just the fourth hurricane of that strength to do so in recorded history.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 640794001/
PJMIII

Re: Hurricane Irma

Postby Ballerina » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:22 pm

If you're in the path of this hurricane but do not need to evacuate - here are some helpful hints. A good supply of water is of utmost importance.

1. For a big storm like Irma, you need enough water to drink for 7 days. The water does NOT have to be bottled. You can simply buy water containers and fill them with tap water.

2. Get a plastic sheet to line the tub. Then you can fill your tub with water without it leaking out. You'll use this to flush the toilet and for basic cleaning if the water goes out.

3. Have enough food on hand to eat for 7 days - food bars and other packaged food is good.

4. Buy a large number of Ziploc-like plastic bags - large and small. You'll use them to protect papers and other valuables AND you'll fill them 3/4 full of water and stuff the freezer full. Do that by midweek to be sure they are frozen when/if the power goes out over the weekend. It will keep the refrigerator colder. Do NOT set your fridge on the lowest setting.

5. Get a portable radio that receives AM and FM. NOAA radio is good, but doesn't get you information on evacuations and other instructions. Get batteries.

6. Get LED flashlights and/or lanterns. They run forever on fewer batteries. But you still need plenty of extra batteries.

7. Get large plastic bags. They are invaluable for keeping valuable things dry if you have a leak.

8. Get large plastic boxes. If you put your valuables, photos, and papers in plastic bags inside the boxes, they will likely be okay.

9. Get plastic sheeting and plenty of duct tape.

10. Do your laundry this week! Lol

Just in case.....A few hurricane tricks for those who may need it:

1. Start running your ice makers now and bagging the ice in freezer bags. Fill as much space in between your freezer items as you can.

2. Freeze regular tap water for pets, cleaning or drinking in tupperware-type containers. REMEMBER to leave a small bit of space between the top of the water & the lids so the ice expands but doesn't crack the container.

3. Start using up your perishables to make more room for ice in the freezer.

4. Fill up all vehicles & check tires & oil.

5. Cash from ATM, at least enough to get you through tolls and gas out of town. Call your bank if you plan on leaving the state so they don't freeze your card for out-of-area "suspicious" transactions.

6. All important docs screenshot & send to your email. Take originals in sealed bags or plastic bins.

7. Pet & livestock food & supplies. Vet records in case you need to shelter then at a storm-safe facility.

8. Evacuation plans and share with family members so they know where you're headed.

9. Consider putting heirlooms & photos in plastic bins in a high place, second floor, or safe room if you don't plan on taking them with you.

10. SECURE ALL FIREARMS & AMMUNITION PROPERLY.

11. Old rags & beach towels on your windowsills. Even with the best windows & shutters, water seeping from the wind pressure happens. A few damp towels is better than soaked drywall or floors!

12. Shutter windows and doors and bring everything outside into your garage or house NOW. Do not wait until the day before. Better to get done early and relax than wait until its too late, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE MANDATORY PERSONNEL (hospital employee or first responder).

13. If you don't already have your hurricane supplies, you might want to get them now. Shelves are already empty in most places.
Feel free to copy & paste! Let's share this post & spread the word!

Be safe, everyone
Be Safe!
Ballerina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Great advice, Bal. Thanks.
I am really worried about all the Caribbean islands, like Barbuda and St. Martin, that Irma just slammed. Hurricane Jose has become a Cat. 2, and appears to be following nearly the same path Irma did. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Please also just buy wind coverage in Florida. I know it's expensive or can be but this is why you do it. So many clients decline this and I'm crossing all my limbs for them that there is no damage.

Also keep in mind your homeowners insurance EXCLUDES flood. You have NO coverage in a flood from a named storm. Sigh..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm

750 Horses Evacuated from Gulfstream, Others Stay Put
With Hurricane Irma bearing down on the Florida coast, Gulfstream officials have ordered the evacuation of the barns they felt were most vulnerable to damage from the storm. According to Bill Badgett Jr., a member of the upper management team at the track, about 750 horses have already left the track. Trainers were given the option of either sending them to Ocala or to Palm Meadows.

The barns that were evacuated were the ones closest to the backstretch entrance on Hallandale Beach Boulevard. Not only are they the oldest barns on the Gulfstream backstretch but they are in a lower-lying area than other barns are more prone to flooding.

“The good thing was there was so much notice in advance, we are able to jump on this thing before it got too bad,” Badgett said. “We started preparations a couple of days ago and we’ve gotten the horses out. On top of everything else, we’ve been dealing with a shortage of horse vans. But everybody has been working diligently to help one another out.”

Badgett said about 500 horses will remain on the Gulfstream backstretch through the impending storm. They will all be housed in the newer barns or tents that serve as barns. In addition, the nearly 450 horses stabled at Gulfstream Park West are, for the most part, remaining there, Badgett said.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/750-horses-evacuated-from-gulfstream-others-stay-put/#.WbGhtrBYDoI.twitter
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 pm

"...or tents that serve as barns."

:o :shock: TENTS!? What dimbulb thought it was a good idea to put horses in tents during a hurricane? :roll:
Tents...otherwise known as those scraps of canvas that go sailing away in high winds. And Irma is going to hit with at least Cat. 4 winds.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

And Jose is now a Cat. 3. Poor St. Martin and Baruda. :(
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"...or tents that serve as barns."

:o :shock: TENTS!? What dimbulb thought it was a good idea to put horses in tents during a hurricane? :roll:
Tents...otherwise known as those scraps of canvas that going sailing away in high winds. And Irma is going to hit with at least Cat. 4 winds.

(

“The tents are hurricane safe up to 175 mile-per-hour winds,” Badgett said. “At Gulfstream West, it looks like that’s actually going to be a pretty good place to be because and they won’t get the big hit from the ocean side.
Ballerina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I can't imagine how any kind of a tent could stand up to a Cat 4, but I'm not a structural engineer. And I hope they are correct about Irma's path. I think my horses would be in Kentucky by now, but I have a horrible fear of severe storms and tornadoes.

Last Chance to Move Horses to Palm Meadows
Any horseman stabled at Gulfstream Park or Gulfstream Park West that still wishes to move horses to Palm Meadows ahead of the storm should contact Gulfstream management immediately (John Hoffman, PJ Campo or Billy Badgett). There are approximately 250 stalls still available as of Thursday night and any move would likely have to be arranged by Friday morning, September 8, due to availability of personnel, bedding, etc.

All rooms have been taken but horsemen have advised that they will make accommodations available for those that need it.

Horsemen are urged to consider that the storm is not only about the destruction of facilities but the incredible hardships that must be overcome once the storm has moved on.

http://floridahbpa.com/last-chance-move-horses-palm-meadows/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 pm

You'd be surprised what people make out there. I don't doubt that it's true.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Somnambulist wrote:You'd be surprised what people make out there. I don't doubt that it's true.

Good to hear. There's a lot riding on these structures in Irma's path. Not much is slowing it down until it slams Florida.
Sparrow Castle

Next

Return to Horsin' Around