a miniature shetland?

a miniature shetland?

Postby sweettalk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 am

some farm on twitter apparently breeds them, and claims they've been around for 2000 years. they also said to look them up and learn some facts, but google gave me all of... absolutely nothing. might explain why they provided no info themselves.

so what the hell is a mini shetland?
https://twitter.com/orchardbrooke

they don't appear to be dwarf shetlands, they just. look like non-shetland-pony mini horses. :?: :?: :?:
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
sweettalk

Re: a miniature shetland?

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I guess if you own and breed something, you can call it whatever you want. :roll:
It sounds like there is no actual, official registry for "Miniature Shetlands." The photos do seem to show very small ponies with the Shetland's sturdy conformation. That makes me suspect that this farm is trying to breed for even smaller size than is normal for Shetlands.
That makes me unhappy.
Minis already have issues with foaling, and trying to make a small breed even smaller is just deliberately creating potential health issues for the animal, IMHO.
I see it with toy and teacup dogs that can't whelp without human intervention. Someone even thinks that breeding cats with stumpy legs is a good idea. :evil: The desire by some people for very small, cute pets that never grow beyond little puppy or kitten size makes the animals themselves suffer for a human fetish. Ugh.
Grumblegrumblegrumble.
BaroqueAgain1

Re: a miniature shetland?

Postby Forry Cow How » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I guess if you own and breed something, you can call it whatever you want. :roll:
It sounds like there is no actual, official registry for "Miniature Shetlands." The photos do seem to show very small ponies with the Shetland's sturdy conformation. That makes me suspect that this farm is trying to breed for even smaller size than is normal for Shetlands.
That makes me unhappy.
Minis already have issues with foaling, and trying to make a small breed even smaller is just deliberately creating potential health issues for the animal, IMHO.
I see it with toy and teacup dogs that can't whelp without human intervention. Someone even thinks that breeding cats with stumpy legs is a good idea. :evil: The desire by some people for very small, cute pets that never grow beyond little puppy or kitten size makes the animals themselves suffer for a human fetish. Ugh.
Grumblegrumblegrumble.

I agree. Those munchkin cats are sad looking. Shetlands are small anyways and breeding the smallest of them to make them smaller doesn't make them mini-Shetlands. I cringe at what most people think is cute or funny as evidenced by Facebook and Twitter.
Forry Cow How

Return to Horsin' Around