Cameras and the Haskell (advice needed on how to proceed)

Cameras and the Haskell (advice needed on how to proceed)

Postby StarGirl11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 am

It's been a looong time since I posted here. But I'm in need of advice badly.

So long story short my Dads now working in VA. And since he's there I am making an attempt to hit the major tracks along the coast. So far all ready have tickets for the Preakness and the Belmont. And I'm looking into going to the Haskell and maybe trying to get to Saratoga for the Whitney.

Anyway the wanting to attend the Haskell brings up Monmouths camera policy. More specifically what they allow. Can someone clarify this, because I'm looking into getting a point and shoot as a back up for Belmont (Will explain that momentarily) but I want to make sure I get the type that won't cause a fuss at security since I'm planning on taking the train for the Haskell.

I've done Belmont once before I understand Belmonts policy. Somehow the last time I got my DSLR through. Plan this year since I'll have a car is to have the DSLR and the point and shoot with me. And if they decide this time to throw a fuss just walk back to the car and put my DSLR in it. However that won't be an option at the Haskell.

I am used to California where you can basically bring in any camera as far as I can tell within reason. So I honestly don't know what Monmouth allows or most of the east coast tracks with these rules for that matter.
StarGirl11

Re: Cameras and the Haskell (advice needed on how to proceed

Postby Premier Pegasus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am

Premier Pegasus

Postby StarGirl11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 am

I all ready read that page. All it did was confuse me. More particular the zooms lens part do they mean anything that has a noticeable zoom on it or do they mean detachable lenses? Belmont and Derbys policy is straight forward at least to me.
StarGirl11

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 pm

They mean a telephoto or zoom lens separate from the camera. Getting a point and shoot or a "bridge" camera should almost certainly be fine, since the lenses don't come off.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby BlindLucky » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Monmouth is super strict about cameras. They even hassled a friend of mine for her crummy Nikon Coolpix because the zoom on it extends from the face of the camera. I wouldn't plan on taking much into Monmouth, they've clamped down pretty hard in the last year or so. When they say "we reserve the right to disallow cameras that, in the opinion of Monmouth Park will be used to produce professionally or commercially marketed images," they pretty much mean anything other than a cell phone. You can try a bridge or fixed-lens zoom, but don't be surprised if they tell you to go put it in your car.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Prairie Bayou » Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm

They really clamped down after American Pharoah. Normally I didn't have a credential but the last two years I have because of this. Of course I don't always have one but I'm not sure what I would do otherwise. Probably not go at all.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Return to Horsin' Around