NFL News & Notes

NFL News & Notes

Postby PJMIII » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

Former Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison

Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for a murder conviction and just days ago was acquitted of a double murder, died after hanging himself in his prison cell early Wednesday, Massachusetts prisons officials said.

Hernandez, 27, was found by guards in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley just after 3 a.m., Department of Correction spokesman Christopher Fallon said in a statement.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1919 ... rison-cell

----------
PJMIII

Re: NFL News & Notes

Postby PJMIII » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 am

Home-field advantage anything but for relocated Chargers

Winless on the team's three-game homestand in a new city, the Los Angeles Chargers can point to one thing that has been consistent: opposing fans taking over the stadium.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2089 ... -team-home
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

The NFL might ban players from kneeling during the national anthem

The NFL is totally happy about its players speaking their minds—as long as it doesn't hurt the NFL.

That's the gist of the letter sent by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday, in which he officially announced that the league will be considering a proposal that would prevent players from keeling during the national anthem.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/1 ... /23238994/
PJMIII

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Would it actually be constitutional for the NFL to mandate that its players show patriotism (obedience) in a specified way? :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Would it actually be constitutional for the NFL to mandate that its players show patriotism (obedience) in a specified way? :?

This is going to be so bad.

I can't believe we're not even a year into this joke of a presidency.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Would it actually be constitutional for the NFL to mandate that its players show patriotism (obedience) in a specified way? :?

I believe that employers can tell employees what they can and can't do while on the clock.
They can't tell them what to think while standing during the anthem, but they can tell them to be on time, fully dressed, stretched, and standing in line.

Mondays and Tuesdays are a different story altogether, march on the Capitol steps, sit in the streets, chat with CNNs Wolf Blitzer or ESPNs Jemele Hill, do whatever you want on your own time, but not while I'm signing your paychecks.

I'm just guessing that your employer has some rules to abide by, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

The NFL has already forced it's players to stand at attention. Interest groups paid the NFL to do this starting in the 200's. They used to not even play the anthem.

Can't kneel, but you can beat your wife/girlfriend/children and still make millions. You can have your millions acquit you of rape and not even get a game, but if you smoke pot you're out for half the year. This feels out of touch with the majority of Americans. As CTE awareness grows exponentially out of the tub of infancy forcing players to do this (while the NFL is content with players doing MUCH worse) I can see no reason why anyone would play football. Play basketball and baseball for guaranteed money where you'll actually be able to use your body later in life?

For a myriad of reasons (over saturated product, for one) we are likely witnessing the beginning of the decline for the NFL.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm

I've wondered if the NFL is actually grateful for all the commotion over the whole anthem thing. It's taking the public's attention away from the recent news that Aaron Hernandez's brain was found to have what I believe was called the worst case of CTE the doctors had seen. :shock:
That is the brain of a 27-year-old, not some 60-year-old former long-time pro. And Hernandez hadn't played since he was 23. It's very likely that much of his brain damage was done prior to his short NFL career, in college and even high school. :(
The NFL REALLY didn't want that to be the focus of sports and news analysts, so the timing of the anthem brouhaha couldn't have been better...for the NFL. :roll:
I know parents who are steering their boys away from football and I think that is going to increase, so Som may be right. The NFL is a dead sport walking.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Tessablue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm

The NFL's about-face on the issue is so brutally cynical and pathetic that I would probably enjoy it were it not for the exploitation and corruption endemic to the league. Prior to now the whole "debate" has been like watching Godzilla vs. Mothra, only with far less likable combatants. I don't know how much this decision if carried out would hasten the decline of the NFL, but it's on borrowed time for sure.

(Incidentally, I said as much while out last night- guy at the party got SO OFFENDED when I said the NFL wouldn't exist in its current state within 15 years. Said that it's too culturally relevant and popular to ever fade. Probably safe to say he's not a horse racing fan...)
Tessablue

Postby PJMIII » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am

Wentz tosses 4 TDs, Eagles beat Redskins 34-24

Carson Wentz stood tall in a collapsing pocket and kept making plays with his arm or legs.

Wentz tossed four touchdown passes, and the Philadelphia Eagles overcame losing nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters in a 34-24 win over the Washington Redskins on Monday night.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400951641
PJMIII

Next

Return to Horsin' Around