Another Cat Issue

Another Cat Issue

Postby Summer Bird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi so my cat is the one who escaped last year and ended up costing me $1,000 in vet bills due to being attacked by another cat. Last night when I got home he would growl and try to get free when I picked him up or when I would pet him, which is unlike him. Took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything when they felt him, but he did have a fever. Gave him some strong pain meds and antibiotics. Today he's still not acting right, he won't growl when I pick him up, but he tenses up and struggles to get free. He's more lovey than he normally is and is rubbing everything in sight and rolling around on the floor. Won't leave the food dish at all either, but I think it's due to the meds. He also won't jump on the sofa or climb the cat tree at all. He can go up the stairs, but he immediately goes back down and hardly tries to go up them. He's running around and playing still though. I'm just wondering if I should take him to the vet or wait until tomorrow since he has to get another check up then anyway, or could this behavior be due to the pain meds? Also we live with two other cats and one he gets along fine with, the other not so much. He's the one provoking the fights though and she has never tried to bite him just scratch.
Summer Bird

Re: Another Cat Issue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm

In my experience, pain meds and tranquilizers can have side effects that change a cat's behavior. Both types of drugs can affect a cat's sense of balance, and that will definitely upset most felines. I also saw extreme restlessness when my cat was recovering from a tooth extraction, for which she received a shot of a pain-relieving drug.
I'm more concerned about WHY he had a fever. Maybe more diagnostics will reveal whether he has/had an illness, or whether he has some sort of internal injury/infection?
Good luck.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Re: Another Cat Issue

Postby Summer Bird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:In my experience, pain meds and tranquilizers can have side effects that change a cat's behavior. Both types of drugs can affect a cat's sense of balance, and that will definitely upset most felines. I also saw extreme restlessness when my cat was recovering from a tooth extraction, for which she received a shot of a pain-relieving drug.
I'm more concerned about WHY he had a fever. May more diagnostics will reveal whether he has/had an illness, or whether he has some sort of internal injury/infection?
Good luck.

Since he likes to pick fights with one of the cats in the apartment, my guess is she finally got him. They felt around and couldn't feel anything and he was too nervous to give a pain response. It could possibly be an abscess trying to come through (which I hope not). He has another check up on Friday so we'll see if he's any better. Thankfully it seems to be the meds that's making him do this though!
Summer Bird

Return to Horsin' Around