Doggy heartbreak

Re: Doggy heartbreak

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm

With coywolves, you not only have to worry about your cats and dogs, but larger livestock as well.
That's what humans get for killing off all the larger predators east of the Rockies. You create a vacuum and Nature will find a way to fill it. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:And I hate to bring this up, BL, on the heels of your loss, but....
If those coyotes just had success 'hunting' an easy meal on Ginny's property, it's very possible that they'll try again soon. Keep an eye on your barn cats. :(

We're on high alert. She's very, very anxious about the dogs going outside now -- they don't even stray far from the barn/house, but the coyotes came RIGHT up to the house. Within twenty feet, and right alongside multiple wildly barking dogs. Ugh ugh ugh.

We're making calls to trappers/animal control/hunters, too. Not that I relish removing animals who are just trying to go about their day, but knowing they're a danger to the animals makes me want them gone ASAP. Even if it's just spooking them to different territory. I don't think I've heard of them attacking horses, but they're right there in the pastures. They're empty this time of year because the horses are lazy with all of the hard, frozen ground, but yeesh...

Ginny did say that maaaany years ago, her dog Ziggy (now 12ish!) was rushed to the emergency vet for being totally catatonic. They shaved him down to find bite marks on his back and belly -- basically, something got him in their jaws. No clue how he got away. The vet went as far as to say it could feasibly be a bear, but that would be especially wild. Coywolves or larger coyotes, though, starts to make a little sense.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Tessablue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Man, that's really bold of them... just terrible, but I'm glad you're on high alert and taking action. Just please do be careful if you come across them, as it isn't unheard-of for them to attack humans.
Tessablue

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:51 am

Yeah. I would wonder about their hunting areas being in danger, but there are tons of rabbits, mice, moles, etc. all over the place right now. It has been a very mild winter. Maybe people have moved in nearby and are forcing them closer than usual? Who knows.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby starrydreamer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

As someone with an 8 lb Chihuahua, this story both makes my heart break and my eyes bug out of my head. Even though I live in a suburban area, I've seen a coyote or two walking down the sidewalk like it was no big deal. We also have hawks occasionally. My dog never goes outside without a leash, but I still worry.
starrydreamer

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:16 pm

A neighbor was hiking in the woods and found Kitty's body. It was great closure, I think, for Ginny to get to scoop her up one last time and bring her home for a proper burial.

The slightly confusing and downright infuriating thing is that she was mostly physically intact. The coyotes definitely didn't eat her. No one got there fast enough for them to drop her and run...so what the hell? Was it just for kicks? It really makes my heart ache.

Of course, we all worry that Kitty was alive and then froze. But they tromped all over those woods looking for her -- they were close to the body plenty of times and didn't hear a thing. She's a vocal girl, so I'm pretty sure she would've made some noise, so I don't think there is anything anyone could've done. Sigh.

Today we looked at some photos of her and laughed instead of cried, so that's good. Kitty was the little dog that made me think I should get a little dog of my own, but yeah SD, I'm so paranoid now.
Insane Crazy

Postby starrydreamer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Today we looked at some photos of her and laughed instead of cried, so that's good. Kitty was the little dog that made me think I should get a little dog of my own, but yeah SD, I'm so paranoid now.

Aww - I'm glad her body was found so that there could be closure. That is infuriating that she wasn't at least eaten so she could pass on the circle of life or whatever, but at the same time, at least she wasn't horribly mangled.

Little dogs are great! Don't let the potential of wild animals getting them stop you. You just learn to keep them on leashes outside. My dog is such a dear - he doesn't bark, is very tolerant of my toddler, snuggles under the blankets in the winter, and prances around like a goofy show pony. He is a rescue... there are a lot of Chihuahuas in need of rescue. People seem to think that little dogs don't require any training.
starrydreamer

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:14 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:

Aww - I'm glad her body was found so that there could be closure. That is infuriating that she wasn't at least eaten so she could pass on the circle of life or whatever, but at the same time, at least she wasn't horribly mangled.

Little dogs are great! Don't let the potential of wild animals getting them stop you. You just learn to keep them on leashes outside. My dog is such a dear - he doesn't bark, is very tolerant of my toddler, snuggles under the blankets in the winter, and prances around like a goofy show pony. He is a rescue... there are a lot of Chihuahuas in need of rescue. People seem to think that little dogs don't require any training.

I see this all the time! People with yappy destructive little dogs are all over, and they either think it's 'cute' (then get mad when the big dogs respond aggressively) or that it's unfixable. The farm dogs bark up a storm, but it's acceptable out there on top of a mountain, hah.

There are a ton of Chihuahua and Jack Russell crosses out here, it seems. Cute as freaking buttons. Kitty was the perfect combo of adventure dog and mega-snuggler -- I would love to find another dog like that. I also love big dogs, too, though...so one day you'll see me out walking a Leonberger and a 10 lb punter and I'll be happy as a clam. :D
Insane Crazy

Postby starrydreamer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:I see this all the time! People with yappy destructive little dogs are all over, and they either think it's 'cute' (then get mad when the big dogs respond aggressively) or that it's unfixable. The farm dogs bark up a storm, but it's acceptable out there on top of a mountain, hah.

There are a ton of Chihuahua and Jack Russell crosses out here, it seems. Cute as freaking buttons. Kitty was the perfect combo of adventure dog and mega-snuggler -- I would love to find another dog like that. I also love big dogs, too, though...so one day you'll see me out walking a Leonberger and a 10 lb punter and I'll be happy as a clam. :D

I have a friend with a Leonberger! She is 90 lbs of love bug. My dog likes adventure, as long as I'm close by. Like many Chihuahuas, he has chosen his particular "person," and that's me. :D He has absolutely no prey drive - I've never known a dog that doesn't bark at squirrels. He's more relaxed than the typical Chi, and he has long legs, which makes me think he might have some Italian Greyhound in there somewhere.

I really hate when people say that all little dogs are yappy and/or stupid. My dog has his slow moments, but he's generally a bright little guy. It's the idiots who don't train their little dogs or exercise them.
starrydreamer

Postby Kurenai » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm

That's terrible to hear. One tip: if you can get a livestock guarding dog... there could even be 10 coyotes. Those dogs fight bears etc. There's a downside too, you would probably have to keep the dog separated during the day if there's lots of visitors etc. They ARE friendly dogs but they have to get to know visitors first for a few days, otherwise they won't let em enter the property. If you get one as a pup and he/she grows up with the other dogs/cats/horses it will always protect them.

It's what farmers use around Europe against wolf packs and bears. It works perfectly.
Kurenai

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around