Doggy heartbreak

Re: Doggy heartbreak

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Kurenai wrote:That's terrible to hear. One tip: if you can get a livestock guarding dog... there could even be 10 coyotes. Those dogs fight bears etc. There's a downside too, you would probably have to keep the dog separated during the day if there's lots of visitors etc. They ARE friendly dogs but they have to get to know visitors first for a few days, otherwise they won't let em enter the property. If you get one as a pup and he/she grows up with the other dogs/cats/horses it will always protect them.

It's what farmers use around Europe against wolf packs and bears. It works perfectly.

That's my personal plan down the road. Unfortunately there's a lot of hustle and bustle at the barn, so it may not work great for now...though I may bring it up. Who doesn't want a Great Pyrenees watching over the "flock"?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Re: Doggy heartbreak

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I saw a profile on training a Great Pyrenees to guard flocks on TV.
When the pup is old enough, he's put in to live with the sheep in the barn. They have to learn to accept him...and he needs to identify with the sheep.
When he's old enough to accompany the flocks up on to the mountain grazing areas, he will be pretty aggressive guarding "his" flock, even against a bear.
The footage showed the shepherd giving the big dog a pat or two, but the show made the point of saying that the shepherd does NOT try to "tame" the dog. He is NOT a pet, and not as close to the man as his herding dogs. The Great Pyrenees apparently needs to keep his guarding instincts focused on the sheep, and not on the human.
Don't know how true that all is, but it sort of makes sense.
BaroqueAgain1

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around