Doggy heartbreak

Doggy heartbreak

Postby Insane Crazy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:05 pm

My boss at the barn I work at (barely a boss -- mentor/adoptive overseer) texted me yesterday morning that one of her dogs was snatched by coyotes. She's gone.

Kitty wasn't my dog, but she was a perfect light in everyone's day. I adored her and love her fiercely, and it's nothing compared to what her mom felt. I am sick to my stomach and full of grief. This was a dog who came all the way from being dumped on the street in Puerto Rico to being the best 10 lb farm dog there ever was. She loved to be held, and would go from lap to lap waiting to be loved in. She fell asleep on more laps than we could ever count, and could be held like a baby and would be so happy there. She went on miles long trail rides like a champ, nipped at the horses to show them who was boss, and kicked during pup fights like a little ninja.

I went to the barn today and my boss was an absolute mess. Kitty was her baby. I didn't know what to say, and as it is I am devastated and can't begin to figure life without this little nugget. It sounds like my boss actually saw the coyotes drag her off, but didn't know it was her at the time -- she thought Kitty was inside. How do I even begin to help her heal and go on about her day? How do *I* even start to recover? I've lost dogs to old age and to sickness, but never to something like this, so fast and senseless and sudden. It feels like the barn family has a huge gaping hole in it. It's just not right without her.

She had an underbite, frizzy hair, huge ears, and squinty eyes. She was perfect. I'm just so, so sad. I needed to let it out somewhere. Poor Kitty girl.

Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Re: Doggy heartbreak

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sure was loved.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BlindLucky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 pm

I hated reading this :cry:

So sorry for you guys, it's not something you can easily get out of your head and even less so out of your heart :(
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Catalina » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:43 am

I am so sorry for your loss.
Catalina

Postby Starine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 pm

I've heard of coyotes and hawks snatching up small dogs like that, and it always sounds so unreal. I don't think I would ever get a toy dog; I'd always be worried!

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a sweet little thing.
Starine

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks so much everyone for your support. We always fretted about her and hawks, since plenty roam near us while we go on trail rides. Never ever ever thought it'd be a problem for real, though. Ginny has been on her property since the late 80s, with no lost animals (not even barn cats!) to the wildlife. Ugh.

Hope tomorrow is a bright new day and that she's feeling better. I'm on the mend but gosh, BL is so right. It's hard to get it out of your head, much less a broken heart.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Catalina » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:44 am

Starine wrote:I've heard of coyotes and hawks snatching up small dogs like that, and it always sounds so unreal. I don't think I would ever get a toy dog; I'd always be worried!

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a sweet little thing.

Coyotes don't just go after small dogs. One coyote may go after a small pet, and when they go after something larger it simply becomes a group effort. They do run in packs.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 am

And I hate to bring this up, BL, on the heels of your loss, but....
If those coyotes just had success 'hunting' an easy meal on Ginny's property, it's very possible that they'll try again soon. Keep an eye on your barn cats. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BlindLucky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 am

Makes me think of another recent story or two. Apparently a lot of cats have gone missing from Santa Anita lately, and a lot of coyotes have been seen and are thought to be the culprits.

If you follow Barbara Livingston and her gazillion photos of Duane, Dan Hendricks' adorable little cat who even had a feature written about her on the Paulick Report--sad news that she was taken by coyotes as well.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Tessablue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Terribly sorry to hear that, IC. Wish I could offer more to help, but it does sound like Kitty has an amazing life in addition to bringing joy to so many people. All the best to you and the people at your barn.

For a bit of context for those outside the area/ worried about coyotes, coywolves are quickly becoming a major problem in New England, as they are substantially larger and bolder than the prototypical southwestern coyotes. Not to say that the smaller ones aren't dangerous, but attacks seem to be increasing every year around here :(
Tessablue

Next

Return to Horsin' Around