Left-Handed roll call

Left-Handed roll call

Postby Starine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Any other left-handers here? Just curious after I struck up a conversation with a left-handed patient earlier today. I asked if they had ever tried to 'correct' her when she was learning to write and she told me no, she "wasn't a part of that generation."

Which I was surprised to hear, because when I was learning to write as a little girl in the early 90s my kindergarten teacher made me wear an old sock she brought from her home on my left hand for two whole weeks trying to break me of the habit. It didn't work.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Starine

Re: Left-Handed roll call

Postby Delamont » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Yes. Held after school and hollered at for a number of weeks. They failed with me, too.
Delamont

Postby Forry Cow How » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:10 am

I'm left-handed and so was my mother and so are two of my sisters. None of us had anyone try to convert us to being right-handed.
Forry Cow How

Postby Miesque1973 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I've read that King George VI (of that generation) ended up with a stutter because his tutors tried to 'correct' him of being a southpaw. Poor guy--he had already been abused/neglected by a crazy nurse, suffered from a bad stomach, was stuck with a jerk like Edward VIII as an older brother, and wore braces on his legs to correct knock-knees, and then he's browbeaten by teachers.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Grade1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm left-handed and was never "corrected".

I do a few things right-handed, and they're natural for me. My right eye is dominant, so that may be the reason. I've also heard that lefties' brain hemispheres are often less differentiated than righties' brains and that lefties are often closer to being ambidextrous than righties are. I don't know if any of that is true.

I write with my left hand, although not in the inverted hand position that most lefties use. I've read that hand position when writing is related to handedness vs. the location of the brain's verbal hemisphere (L or R), but again, I don't know if that's true.

My dad, who was born in 1921, was left-handed and he was "corrected". He said that his teachers tied his left hand behind his back to get him to use his right. It worked and he became a righty in almost all things, including writing.
Whenever somebody gets something for nothing, somebody else gets nothing for something.
Grade1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 pm

I've read that King George VI (of that generation) ended up with a stutter because his tutors tried to 'correct' him of being a southpaw.

Didn't the movie, The King's Speech, deal with George's stutter, and how he had to take the throne (which he never wanted) because of Edward's abdication?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miesque1973 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:07 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I've read that King George VI (of that generation) ended up with a stutter because his tutors tried to 'correct' him of being a southpaw.

Didn't the movie, The King's Speech, deal with George's stutter, and how he had to take the throne (which he never wanted) because of Edward's abdication?

Yes. I think it was relatively accurate in that regard.

I recommend Born Royal by Richard Hough, if anyone's interested in the early lives of the children of George V. Only Princess Mary came out relatively unscarred.

(It's interesting that the Duke of Cambridge is apparently left-handed)

My youngest older brother is left-handed, but he's rather ambidextrous. I've never asked him if anyone tried to 'correct' him. I can't imagine my mother trying or wanting anyone to try, as she was pretty understanding of stuff like that. My father's mother was left-handed, too, and I suspect she went through attempts at being corrected when in school. She was born in 1922, if I recall, and since she was a Cox, I rather doubt she let them push her around.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Postby Forry Cow How » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:19 am

Grade1 wrote:I'm left-handed and was never "corrected".

I do a few things right-handed, and they're natural for me. My right eye is dominant, so that may be the reason. I've also heard that lefties' brain hemispheres are often less differentiated than righties' brains and that lefties are often closer to being ambidextrous than righties are. I don't know if any of that is true.

I write with my left hand, although not in the inverted hand position that most lefties use. I've read that hand position when writing is related to handedness vs. the location of the brain's verbal hemisphere (L or R), but again, I don't know if that's true.

My dad, who was born in 1921, was left-handed and he was "corrected". He said that his teachers tied his left hand behind his back to get him to use his right. It worked and he became a righty in almost all things, including writing.

I think my right eye is dominant, too. I can use scissors right-handed and I can write on a chalkboard right-handed (but nowhere else). I do not write with my left hand in the inverted position either or tilt the paper. I CANNOT use my mouse right-handed, have to use my left-hand. I think my right-hand is stronger than my left, but my left hand is far more coordinated. I prefer to carry things in my left hand.
Forry Cow How

Postby Starine » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm

I use my right hand for most things like throwing, using a computer mouse, using scissors, etc. But I can't even grip a pen or pencil properly in my right hand. I can only write with my left (although some have remarked that even with my left hand I hold writing utensils a bit funny).

No one else in my family that I know of is left-handed.
Starine

Postby Miesque1973 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:44 pm

I've heard sometimes that left-handed people are more artistic or creative than right-handed folks. I'm not sure of this, at least with my family. My brother isn't artistic, though he did make a Humpty Dumpty figurine thing out of steel for Mom (she collected Humpty Dumptys). And a big, extremely heavy steel birdhouse that will never be moved from its place on the back porch rail (how anybody got it there, I haven't a clue, but I'm sure whoever set it there had to see a chiropractor later). And a telephone booth like what you'd see in Dr. Who. And he rigged up buckets as individual nests for his chickens.

Hm. Maybe he's more artistic than I thought. I just don't know that he'd appreciate being called 'artistic'. He works with steel for a living, and he uses scrap for his projects.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Next

Return to Horsin' Around