The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Saintly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Saintly wrote:Hi Sparrow - that's a pretty good summary. With regard to your other questions, some of them are addressed in the article here https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-easy-is-it-to-get-a-gun-in-australia

Now, I am Joe Average, living in the suburbs of Melbourne and have no current criminal record. So should I want a gun, I tick most of the boxes. Where I fall short is being able to demonstrate a requirement for a gun. However I reckon I could get around that by declaring I was taking up hunting as a hobby and joining a registered Sporting Shooters Association or gun club. So I get my licence, my permit and of I go and buy a legal gun which is registered to me. A problem with that is that once I have my licence, I can keep buying as many legal guns as I like - there is no limit. So the issue of private citizens holding arsenals has got a little bit of media attention in recent times.

In 1996, perhaps the federal government's finest achievement was to get all of the states singing from the same hymn book (the states being responsible for gun laws). It had to be an all or nothing approach or it wouldn't work.

I'm not trying to paint a picture of some sort of nirvana here. We still have bad guys. We still have armed robberies. We still have murders by guns. But since Port Arthur and the gun law changes in 1996 we've not had another massacre. In the meantime, hunters have gone on hunting, farmers have continued to use guns to control vermin and put down sick / injured stock, target shooters have gone on shooting targets and clay pigeons have the same short lifespan they've always had. Here we can have gun control without impacting those who wish to legitimately use them

Oh thank you, Saintly. That's exactly the information I've been trying to find. I've added to my list of strategies "There's a 28-day mandatory waiting period for a first-time application. If the Permit to Acquire is granted, it is valid for 90 days.". That very well could impact the number of gun suicides, which can be somewhat impulsive, and buy time for others to recognize signs and intervene when someone is contemplating or planning gun violence.

Yes, I know we can't eliminate all gun violence but I do think we can do much better to make an impact on it if we approach this as a public health problem (similar to how we've decreased deaths by automobile accidents). I think it will take a variety of strategies (as was done in Australia) and, short of requiring gun registration and mandatory buyback which this country isn't ready for yet, I don't know how much these strategies will help. But I do know not doing anything sure isn't helping. It's a given that the mental health system needs more funding as well, but there doesn't seem to be much will to improve that either.

The mental health system is woefully underfunded here as well Sparrow. Unfortunately I've seen this first hand through my own daughters' illness. It's a silent epidemic
Saintly

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 am

Saintly wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Saintly wrote:Hi Sparrow - that's a pretty good summary. With regard to your other questions, some of them are addressed in the article here https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-easy-is-it-to-get-a-gun-in-australia

Now, I am Joe Average, living in the suburbs of Melbourne and have no current criminal record. So should I want a gun, I tick most of the boxes. Where I fall short is being able to demonstrate a requirement for a gun. However I reckon I could get around that by declaring I was taking up hunting as a hobby and joining a registered Sporting Shooters Association or gun club. So I get my licence, my permit and of I go and buy a legal gun which is registered to me. A problem with that is that once I have my licence, I can keep buying as many legal guns as I like - there is no limit. So the issue of private citizens holding arsenals has got a little bit of media attention in recent times.

In 1996, perhaps the federal government's finest achievement was to get all of the states singing from the same hymn book (the states being responsible for gun laws). It had to be an all or nothing approach or it wouldn't work.

I'm not trying to paint a picture of some sort of nirvana here. We still have bad guys. We still have armed robberies. We still have murders by guns. But since Port Arthur and the gun law changes in 1996 we've not had another massacre. In the meantime, hunters have gone on hunting, farmers have continued to use guns to control vermin and put down sick / injured stock, target shooters have gone on shooting targets and clay pigeons have the same short lifespan they've always had. Here we can have gun control without impacting those who wish to legitimately use them

Oh thank you, Saintly. That's exactly the information I've been trying to find. I've added to my list of strategies "There's a 28-day mandatory waiting period for a first-time application. If the Permit to Acquire is granted, it is valid for 90 days.". That very well could impact the number of gun suicides, which can be somewhat impulsive, and buy time for others to recognize signs and intervene when someone is contemplating or planning gun violence.

Yes, I know we can't eliminate all gun violence but I do think we can do much better to make an impact on it if we approach this as a public health problem (similar to how we've decreased deaths by automobile accidents). I think it will take a variety of strategies (as was done in Australia) and, short of requiring gun registration and mandatory buyback which this country isn't ready for yet, I don't know how much these strategies will help. But I do know not doing anything sure isn't helping. It's a given that the mental health system needs more funding as well, but there doesn't seem to be much will to improve that either.

The mental health system is woefully underfunded here as well Sparrow. Unfortunately I've seen this first hand through my own daughters' illness. It's a silent epidemic

Sorry to hear that. My son also. Take care and, again, thank you for your help. I hope you keep posting on TBC. I love Australian racing and a Melbourne Cup visit is on my bucket list!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ballerina » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 pm

[quote="Saintly]That's not what I said but it doesn't matter. My issue was with your statement "Australia didn't institute gun control" when clearly it did. That was an inaccuracy I couldn't let pass.[/quote]

That, too, is not what I said. You've taken what I wrote out of context. This is what I wrote -

Australia didn't institute gun control. They instituted gun confiscation. It's not going to happen in the USA.

As mentioned previously, Australia has 25 million population; USA has 330 million. Major, major difference.
Ballerina

Postby Saintly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Saintly wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Oh thank you, Saintly. That's exactly the information I've been trying to find. I've added to my list of strategies "There's a 28-day mandatory waiting period for a first-time application. If the Permit to Acquire is granted, it is valid for 90 days.". That very well could impact the number of gun suicides, which can be somewhat impulsive, and buy time for others to recognize signs and intervene when someone is contemplating or planning gun violence.

Sorry to hear that. My son also. Take care and, again, thank you for your help. I hope you keep posting on TBC. I love Australian racing and a Melbourne Cup visit is on my bucket list!

Unlikely mate. Even back in the day when I was here on TBC pretty much every day, I wasn't a prolific poster. These days I just swing past about this time of year to get a feel for which horses to look out for in the leadup to the Triple Crown. Any thoughts on that ?

Hope you get to tick off your bucket list. Cup Week in particular is a lot of fun and that October / November period is when racing takes centre stage here
Saintly

Postby stark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Two quick questions....

1) What do y'all think about the shooter offering to plead Guilty in exchange for life in prison with no death penalty?

2) Any idea who is funding the kids protests, the buses etc?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics ... index.html
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm

stark wrote:Two quick questions....

1) What do y'all think about the shooter offering to plead Guilty in exchange for life in prison with no death penalty?

2) Any idea who is funding the kids protests, the buses etc?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics ... index.html

I'm not for the death penalty - takes way too long to accomplish. Lock this kid up for life, no parole - maybe put him in the general population - that'll take care of the death penalty.

Haven't a clue as to financing - maybe the ACLU
Ballerina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Maybe some very involved parents and teachers? Who are terrified that their child or student might be next? :? :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe some very involved parents and teachers? Who are terrified that their child or student might be next? :? :(

They seem to me to be too organized for a grass roots effort like what is going on, never even saw mention of a GoFundMe page, somebody is organizing it.

And this just in.....

“Amal and I are so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women from Stoneman Douglas High School,” George Clooney said in a statement Tuesday. “Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating $500,000 to help pay for this groundbreaking event. Our children’s lives depend on it.”

Hours later, Oprah Winfrey donated half a million dollars herself to the cause, tweeting....
George and Amal, I couldn’t agree with you more. I am joining forces with you and will match your $500,000 donation to ‘March For Our Lives.’ These inspiring young people remind me of the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Supposedly this kid inherited nearly a million dollars from his late adoptive mother. I'm sure the courts will force him to use that money for a legal defense (should he not plead out) instead of asking for a court appointed attorney.
Ballerina

Postby stark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Ballerina wrote:Supposedly this kid inherited nearly a million dollars from his late adoptive mother. I'm sure the courts will force him to use that money for a legal defense (should he not plead out) instead of asking for a court appointed attorney.

Have to wonder just how "nice" the new parents were knowing that he was scheduled for the $800,000 on his 22nd birthday, hmmm!
The day after the shooting they filed papers in court seeking financial control.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around