The VENT Thread

User avatar
Miesque1973
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Not a lot to kvetch about these days. We only got rain from Harvey, but no flooding in our immediate area, though Bastrop and areas around Austin got some trouble. An old tree in our back yard split in two (it was already split... I mean, two trees coming out of the root... whatever you call that) and fell apart in two directions, as a result of wind and the ground being so unprepared for rain that it couldn't handle it. The right side of the tree missed the bird feeding station and the gazing ball by inches. We needed the rain. We didn't need the split tree ($300+ to remove it) and the worry about my brother in Houston, but he came out dry and safe (and I think he's about 73 feet above sea level).

We got four inches of rain during that fateful weekend, and after a long, miserable drought, that was welcome, but I hated seeing people on the coast suffering so. I've been through hurricanes (I grew up in the Houston area), but I don't recall major flooding then. I do remember my stupid brothers telling me I would go down the drain, like water in the bathtub. What jerks they were in their younger days.

The weather is cooling off at last! Wait, maybe this should be in the happiness thread. If our neighbor could just figure out that sound travels and that his dog's yapping at air molecules might become somewhat annoying, all would be peachy with a side of keen. Nitwit's barking now, so I assume a leaf blew by.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.
I pray you guys are safe. Best of luck.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 am

Somnambulist wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.
I pray you guys are safe. Best of luck.
Thanks. We are not in an evacuation zone, so we're hunkered down at home with the critters. The next 12 hours are going to be interesting.
stark
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Flipping channels between CNN, FOX and MSNBC listening to commentators discuss the merits, or lack thereof, with regards to the proposed Federal Tax changes sounds an awful lot like a meeting with the state's Horse Racing Board, Horsemen and HANA regarding pari-mutual takeout.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Ioya Two
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Ohio

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 am

This crazy Ohio weather from 90 degrees one week (holy hell batman, in October?? My birthday month :shock: ) to it being high 40s at night now is ridiculous. :roll: I'm assuming that's why my two year old is sick. Poor baby. And I feel bad because I get stressed that I'm not doing things right or I can't help her not be sick. Oh I need patience. Or whiskey. I'm sitting outside smoking a cigarette, and I swear I can see my breath and I'm legit COLD. Ugh.
Pulpit 1994-2012
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:37 am

I'm starting to worry that I have rheumatoid arthritis or chronic fatigue syndrome (my sister has RA). My joints and muscles are aching like I have the flu, my throat is sore, I'm ridiculously stiff when I wake up. Also, tired all the time.
Catalina
Posts: 3151
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm

starrydreamer wrote:I'm starting to worry that I have rheumatoid arthritis or chronic fatigue syndrome (my sister has RA). My joints and muscles are aching like I have the flu, my throat is sore, I'm ridiculously stiff when I wake up. Also, tired all the time.
So, maybe run it past a doctor? Don't know about CFS, but both RA and flu would benefit from treatment.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 am

Catalina wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:I'm starting to worry that I have rheumatoid arthritis or chronic fatigue syndrome (my sister has RA). My joints and muscles are aching like I have the flu, my throat is sore, I'm ridiculously stiff when I wake up. Also, tired all the time.
So, maybe run it past a doctor? Don't know about CFS, but both RA and flu would benefit from treatment.
Treatment for flu is rest, fluids, and ibuprofen/tylenol for fever. I don't go to a doctor for the flu. However, this is not that (although it reminds me that I need to go get my flu shot!). I think my main problem is that it's fall and my allergies are acting up.

Excuse my whininess. :lol: We're in our new house and it's frustrating not knowing where everything is, plus my husband has been stressed too, and so we go 10 rounds on where to put the tupperware and it's exhausting. :roll:
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 am

If it's any consolation my seasonal allergies are so awful right now and I feel the same way. I have been pulling 16 hour days for the past few months but I don't remember the last time I had any energy. I ache and feel exhausted near constantly. Normally the length of the day wouldn't bother me, but then again I'm not 18 anymore. The joys of aging.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Somnambulist wrote:If it's any consolation my seasonal allergies are so awful right now and I feel the same way. I have been pulling 16 hour days for the past few months but I don't remember the last time I had any energy. I ache and feel exhausted near constantly. Normally the length of the day wouldn't bother me, but then again I'm not 18 anymore. The joys of aging.
I had a dose of Clarispray and feel almost immediately better, so my problem must have been allergies. Ever since my sinus surgery, I've been doing so much better, I think I forgot what allergies feel like. Well. It's in full blast now. :roll:

Also, yknow, getting older. I'm also 20 lbs heavier than I was pre-baby, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, too.
Catalina
Posts: 3151
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:22 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Catalina wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:I'm starting to worry that I have rheumatoid arthritis or chronic fatigue syndrome (my sister has RA). My joints and muscles are aching like I have the flu, my throat is sore, I'm ridiculously stiff when I wake up. Also, tired all the time.
So, maybe run it past a doctor? Don't know about CFS, but both RA and flu would benefit from treatment.
Treatment for flu is rest, fluids, and ibuprofen/tylenol for fever. I don't go to a doctor for the flu. However, this is not that (although it reminds me that I need to go get my flu shot!). I think my main problem is that it's fall and my allergies are acting up.

Excuse my whininess. :lol: We're in our new house and it's frustrating not knowing where everything is, plus my husband has been stressed too, and so we go 10 rounds on where to put the tupperware and it's exhausting. :roll:
Actually, on some types of flu, if you take it to the doctor within the first few days, they can give you antiviral medication that blunts the flu so it's less severe/a little faster to get over. Might not make that much difference for a young, healthy person, but for those of us who are high risk, it's well worth remembering.
Tessablue
Posts: 3390
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 pm

I've done the "constant generalized pain, stiffness, and fatigue" rodeo and I've basically given up on ever getting an answer, but for me it's been going on forever and you should certainly get looked at if these symptoms are new and sudden. I hope you feel better starry, and make sure to get tested for lyme disease. I don't know where in the country you are but it probably affects way more people than we realize.
Somnambulist wrote:If it's any consolation my seasonal allergies are so awful right now and I feel the same way. I have been pulling 16 hour days for the past few months but I don't remember the last time I had any energy. I ache and feel exhausted near constantly. Normally the length of the day wouldn't bother me, but then again I'm not 18 anymore. The joys of aging.
That sucks... any chance you'll get a break soon?

My own personal vent is that I can't go a week without impostor syndrome kicking in but hey, what else is new.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 am

Tessablue wrote:I've done the "constant generalized pain, stiffness, and fatigue" rodeo and I've basically given up on ever getting an answer, but for me it's been going on forever and you should certainly get looked at if these symptoms are new and sudden. I hope you feel better starry, and make sure to get tested for lyme disease. I don't know where in the country you are but it probably affects way more people than we realize.
Somnambulist wrote:If it's any consolation my seasonal allergies are so awful right now and I feel the same way. I have been pulling 16 hour days for the past few months but I don't remember the last time I had any energy. I ache and feel exhausted near constantly. Normally the length of the day wouldn't bother me, but then again I'm not 18 anymore. The joys of aging.
That sucks... any chance you'll get a break soon?

My own personal vent is that I can't go a week without impostor syndrome kicking in but hey, what else is new.
Impostor syndrome is my default. How am I an adult with a license to practice law? How do I have a child who is not a complete and total mess? My in-laws lectured me like I was their teenager two weeks ago, which really kicked it all into gear.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm

New
York
Giants.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am

Somnambulist wrote:New
York
Giants.
It just floors me that they have the same record as the Browns. My office is a Giants fan center- and they are always ribbing me that my husband is a diehard Browns fan.
On Sunday- we went to a wedding- and the bar was open to us. Sat there watching the two games with a martini in my hand in disbelief for the Giants( strangest reception I have ever been to).
Last edited by serenassong on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am

May be losing my job- but do have my resume out there - I saw the writing on the wall.
One of the jobs is in the same school system that my sister works in - in the guidance office.
Would be helping them out, and working with the kids getting their college apps together.
I think that would be very ideal for me.

Have sooooo much on my plate-
Father-in-Law has Stage IV pancreatic/Liver cancer- has been in and out of the ER 3 times this week- has fallen twice- Chemo is kicking his butt- final round was last Friday- they re-evaluate tomorrow
A good friend of ours was in a very serious car accident- In Queens- we are taking care of his house and helping his family in NY to make sure everything is taken care of.
Then, they tell us yesterday that our main line of product will not be renewing our contract- they are going direct. That's 50% of our stock/sales. We do have another line that is doing well, but not sure that it will pull us thru.
My bursitius in my hip is acting up- had to cancel my acupunture appointment because I need to save money- I have to get re-embursed by the insurance company and they take FOREVER. Meanwhile, I'm racking up interest on the card
Had to cancel my hair appointment as well to sock more money away until I know for sure what the heck will happen

They say that God only gives you what you can handle- He seems to think I'm a real badass. :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

I just moved to a new state and have new health insurance (employer-based). And of COURSE the new health insurance isn't going to want to cover my son's food. He is g-tube fed and has been since birth because he was born with multiple congenital disorders. He gets formula through a feeding tube at lunch at his daycare, and blended liquid food at home. If he was not tube fed, he would die of starvation because he physically cannot eat enough to sustain himself. We're not asking for insurance to pay our grocery bill, but my kid's food cannot be purchased at a grocery store.

I'm sure I'll also run into trouble when I set him up for speech therapy to help with eating and talking because they're considered habilitative services and not rehabilitative (because he never had these skills... he's 3 years old). Obamacare got rid of that distinction but not for employer-based insurance plans.

The insurance system is set up to punish parents who, through no fault of their own, have a child born with congenital problems. (For the curious, my son was born with an omphalocele, which resulted in several lung deformities, a hole in his heart that was repaired via open heart surgery at 6 months old, and scoliosis.)
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm

starrydreamer wrote:The insurance system is set up to punish parents who, through no fault of their own, have a child born with congenital problems. (For the curious, my son was born with an omphalocele, which resulted in several lung deformities, a hole in his heart that was repaired via open heart surgery at 6 months old, and scoliosis.)
I'm sorry. I wish the people in charge would just do their job and really research ways to fix things, not just throwing band aids out. You speak so lovingly of your son that I'm sure you'll figure it all out. What else is a mom gonna do? Take no for an answer?

Are their studies in your area that you can get him on? I know a lot of the time they pay for most everything else.

We all pay so much out of pocket as it is, pre-tax or not, that at this point there really needs to be a single payor system. No one asks to feel sick and have problems. No one should go broke or have to worry about affording just how to live comfortably.

I feel like you're supposed to get more conservative as you get older, but I find myself becoming increasingly liberal...
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 pm

serenassong wrote:May be losing my job- but do have my resume out there - I saw the writing on the wall.
One of the jobs is in the same school system that my sister works in - in the guidance office.
Would be helping them out, and working with the kids getting their college apps together.
I think that would be very ideal for me.

Have sooooo much on my plate-
Father-in-Law has Stage IV pancreatic/Liver cancer- has been in and out of the ER 3 times this week- has fallen twice- Chemo is kicking his butt- final round was last Friday- they re-evaluate tomorrow
A good friend of ours was in a very serious car accident- In Queens- we are taking care of his house and helping his family in NY to make sure everything is taken care of.
Then, they tell us yesterday that our main line of product will not be renewing our contract- they are going direct. That's 50% of our stock/sales. We do have another line that is doing well, but not sure that it will pull us thru.
My bursitius in my hip is acting up- had to cancel my acupunture appointment because I need to save money- I have to get re-embursed by the insurance company and they take FOREVER. Meanwhile, I'm racking up interest on the card
Had to cancel my hair appointment as well to sock more money away until I know for sure what the heck will happen

They say that God only gives you what you can handle- He seems to think I'm a real badass. :D
Oh My, you surely do have a lot on your plate. Sometimes reading what others are going through makes me less feeling sorry for myself. I hope the sun shines through those dark clouds real soon.
Post Reply