The VENT Thread

Tessablue

Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm

I use Twinspires constantly at work. How else would I coordinate my side job as an underground bookie?

Anyways being 12 was absolutely terrible and I would never go back, but there was that time that girl said she broke her calf and it caused a lot of drama on here, so it wasn't all bad.
stark

Wed May 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote: I had 9/2 on you being the first to respond to IC. An overlay for sure.
Sorry that you lost your bet as it looks like you were actually the first to respond, no matter how unintelligible it was.
Somnambulist wrote:I hope you brought up how series HIPPA is.

Id also start applying x 3.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Wed May 10, 2017 9:49 pm

I was drunk at work, obviously.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I was drunk at work, obviously.
Only drunk? Do you guys not get Weed Wednesdays like we do?
Insane Crazy

Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Tessablue wrote:I use Twinspires constantly at work. How else would I coordinate my side job as an underground bookie?

Anyways being 12 was absolutely terrible and I would never go back, but there was that time that girl said she broke her calf and it caused a lot of drama on here, so it wasn't all bad.
Her....calf?

Like a bovine or a her leg?

Drama, drama...the War Emblem days!

Anyhoo. Can't wait until we entitled brats inherit the globe.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
starrydreamer

Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I was drunk at work, obviously.
I used to work at a sales company in NYC and when it was a good last day of the quarter, the alcohol came out at 3pm. At the office. And it was the head of sales and marketing and his posse passing it around. I did tequila shots there.

(And Somn - your post about LIRR being blocked off at Penn Station gave me flashbacks. The smells. The delays. The cost.)

IC - you're right, there is no law specifically addressing employee privacy in regards to social media (including email) in VT. Instead, VT common law finds that employees generally have a right to privacy. To establish a right to privacy, an employee needs to prove that the employer intentionally and substantially intruded on the employee's private affairs/concerns and the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person.

Researching labor and employment law across all 50 states is a big part of what I do for work, so I have the compulsive need to correct people regarding it.

Stark - your use of "people with entitled attitudes" is pretty condescending. You think that just because we occasionally spend a few minutes checking personal email (which some of us might need to do because we have children, doctors, etc, who need to be responded to during business hours), we don't also work hard and earn our worth? Do you also rail against those entitled millennials... therefore assuming that we must be millennials if we don't agree with you? Meanwhile, you responsible older folks are running the environment, social security, the healthcare system, etc, into the ground for us entitled young'uns to deal with after you all are gone.

If you're a manager, I hope you're never my manager. You probably wouldn't want me to listen to music or have tv reruns on in the background when I work from home.
stark

Wed May 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Can somebody please share the part where I said anything negative about "younger people"?

Or the part where I admitted to being an "older folk"?

I'm thinking there's lots of ASSumptions going on here!

As for needing your PC to check on kids, doctors etc. I say imagine this......you're a hard working assembly line worker whose job it is to attach the widget before the conveyor belt takes your finished product to the next work station. Is it okay to call a timeout while you check on your important personal stuff? I think not.

So, just because you have a employer provided terminal at the ready, save the personal stuff for breaks, lunches and that long ride home.

As for Vermont residents, don't worry, Bernie will take good care of you, and he's really olde, imagine that!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Insane Crazy

Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Office jobs have a natural ebb and flow of activity and tasks. When I worked as an office aide, we sometimes literally had nothing to do during slow periods -- filing was done, copies made, newsletters sent, social media presence tended to, and the office tidied. Our job was to be present for people arriving, calling, or a sudden task that appeared from higher up. Our supervisors gave us full permission to tend to whatever we needed to (within propriety and reason) in those times, because the alternative was literally sitting there. Doing nothing.

Alternatively, finishing up a two hour project and needing to switch gears for another? Yeah, I'll flip to my personal email or FB for a few minutes to give my focus a break. I've never experienced any derision regarding responsible use of that tactic, even from gnarly bosses. Now, does that give anyone permission to dick around all day? No. But it's just an illustration of how personal accounts can be brought into a workplace computer. [Shrug] That's my experience, at least, in various environments.

It's a totally different environment and expectation in an office environment than a factory or a manual labor job, so I don't think it's as direct comparison. Of course, I check my phone while doing barn work, too, and lo -- the poop still ends up where it needs to go! ;)

And <3 Bernie. Boy, do people like him here.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
starrydreamer

Thu May 11, 2017 2:24 pm

stark wrote:Can somebody please share the part where I said anything negative about "younger people"?

Or the part where I admitted to being an "older folk"?

I'm thinking there's lots of ASSumptions going on here!

As for needing your PC to check on kids, doctors etc. I say imagine this......you're a hard working assembly line worker whose job it is to attach the widget before the conveyor belt takes your finished product to the next work station. Is it okay to call a timeout while you check on your important personal stuff? I think not.

So, just because you have a employer provided terminal at the ready, save the personal stuff for breaks, lunches and that long ride home.

As for Vermont residents, don't worry, Bernie will take good care of you, and he's really olde, imagine that!
Your inability to respond without calling names is quite something.

Hard working assembly line workers have scheduled breaks and usually, unions to advocate for their rights. Office workers generally do not. I definitely do not. My manager treats her team as professional adults (we are all licensed attorneys, so arguably, we are) and leaves it to our discretion to take breaks and do what we need to do to get our work done. I almost never take a lunch - I eat at my desk while I work. My checking of my personal email about once an hour (depending on what I'm doing and when I hit a natural place to take a break) doesn't affect the quality of my work. Actually, there are studies that found that taking little mental breaks like that actually increases productivity.

Plus, when I go to the office, I drive. So clearly, I'm not going to be on my phone in any capacity.

Anyways, break time over! Back to work.
BlindLucky

Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I left work 2 hours ago.

I'm now just on a train home.

Why am I spending $350 a month for this shit.
Is this the wrong time to tell you that it takes me 7 minutes to drive to work?
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Tessablue

Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 pm

what kind

of journal submission system

DOESN'T

let you submit your figures

IN PDF FORMAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME
Forry Cow How

Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 am

Tessablue wrote:what kind

of journal submission system

DOESN'T

let you submit your figures

IN PDF FORMAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME
An Elsevier Journal? LOL
Somnambulist

Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm as far from celebrity worship as one can get but I really can't believe Chris Cornell killed himself.

I can't even believe I'm at 20 years listening to his songs.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm

It is difficult to understand why he was in such a dark place, without having walked in his shoes.
It's a loss for music, and especially for his family. :(
firehorse

Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm as far from celebrity worship as one can get but I really can't believe Chris Cornell killed himself.

I can't even believe I'm at 20 years listening to his songs.
I can't believe it either, although a gen-xer, I never really got into Soundgarden, really discovered him in Audioslave who I saw live - one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around him offing himself, odd to find out he's been living on South Beach for the last couple of years, the last place anyone with a tendency towards depression or addictions should be.
StarGirl11

Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm at Pimlico for the Preakness and getting tired of the back and forth on whether or not I can be on the rail if my seats a few rows back. First I couldn't, then I could, then it's back to I can't, then it was I can't be up there for the post parade. I'm not so mad at the people trying to enforce it as much as the wide range of inconsistency on it. I've been going to the races for a long time and this is the first time I've become so fed up with a track that the temptation not to return is high.
Forry Cow How

Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 am

StarGirl11 wrote:I'm at Pimlico for the Preakness and getting tired of the back and forth on whether or not I can be on the rail if my seats a few rows back. First I couldn't, then I could, then it's back to I can't, then it was I can't be up there for the post parade. I'm not so mad at the people trying to enforce it as much as the wide range of inconsistency on it. I've been going to the races for a long time and this is the first time I've become so fed up with a track that the temptation not to return is high.
I virtually stopped going to the Preakness once they put chairs on the apron to sell more seats. I no longer could get there early on Saturday and get a spot on the rail. I did go with an out-of-town friend after the seats were put in. We had seats inside. They said we couldn't go outside to say "hi" to friends who had seats outside. Well, we just went down to where no one was guarding the door and went outside. No problem getting back inside. I understand those that pay for the seats outside deserve their space and those guarding the doors do not know what our real intentions are and we should probably have just stayed inside.

A trainer friend of mine was running a horse that day. We did manage to get to the paddock and he told us to come to the winner's circle if his horse won. It didn't win, but I wonder if we could have gotten there anyway?

It's been a few years now. I need to go back again. It was fun despite some of the changes. Better start saving my pennies.

With advent of online betting and being able to easily watch races from home, I don't go every day like I used to. Of course, I'm much older, too. LOL Oh, does Pimlico still let you bring cameras in with telephoto lenses? I know a lot of tracks don't let you anymore.
BlindLucky

Sun May 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Forry Cow How wrote:Oh, does Pimlico still let you bring cameras in with telephoto lenses? I know a lot of tracks don't let you anymore.
They don't care. They only banned them in 2013 (right after the Boston Marathon bombing).
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
starrydreamer

Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 pm

The third round of antibiotics cleared up my sinus infection and I had a week of feeling good. But I woke up today with pressure on that side of my head again. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if maybe it goes away on its own, but otherwise, I'm headed for a CT scan and possibly surgery.
Catalina

Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

starrydreamer wrote:The third round of antibiotics cleared up my sinus infection and I had a week of feeling good. But I woke up today with pressure on that side of my head again. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if maybe it goes away on its own, but otherwise, I'm headed for a CT scan and possibly surgery.
For most people, it's outpatient surgery these days.