The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby TapitsGal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:11 am

Also my friend just found out how important it is to thoroughly research dog rescues. She adopted a 13 week old puppy from a rescue one of her friends reccomended.... she has these past few weeks been through the ringer with that dog. First with the dog being first diagnosed with parvo/hookworms and now he's been diagnosed with another not as serious parasite... and he's had to be re-vaccinated as the vet believes his vaccine records were altered or non existant( my friend was told he had the parvo shot)... she said the rescue has been awful to deal with regarding his health...and that she didn't find out until a few days after she'd brought him home that another puppy in the litter had died from parvo.... she got this info via email
TapitsGal

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 am

We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Motherf***ker. We had him for a month and he was literally a perfect, pure gem of a dog. Ugh. UGH. This is why people don't get little dogs out here, I guess. I am now radically paranoid about wildlife -- I've never had reason to be before. Bleh.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Catalina » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Insane Crazy wrote:We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Motherf***ker. We had him for a month and he was literally a perfect, pure gem of a dog. Ugh. UGH. This is why people don't get little dogs out here, I guess. I am now radically paranoid about wildlife -- I've never had reason to be before. Bleh.

Poor dog. Unless he was a small puppy from a small breed, more likely coyotes. Photoshopped internet offerings notwithstanding, even a fully grown bald eagle couldn't fly off with much more than a 7 lbs prey.

Obviously, watching from inside the house is diddly security for the dog, even assuming that somebody kept their eyes on the dog all the time. Which, clearly they didn't, or they wouldn't have to be guessing as to what got the dog.
Catalina

Postby Insane Crazy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Catalina wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Poor dog. Unless he was a small puppy from a small breed, more likely coyotes. Photoshopped internet offerings notwithstanding, even a fully grown bald eagle couldn't fly off with much more than a 7 lbs prey.

Obviously, watching from inside the house is diddly security for the dog, even assuming that somebody kept their eyes on the dog all the time. Which, clearly they didn't, or they wouldn't have to be guessing as to what got the dog.

He was 7 lb soaking wet -- smaller than most rabbits around these parts. Boss has always had big dogs on the farm, but has had littler ones for 10 years with no issues. My guess is the big dogs scared off most of the predators and they're finally moving back in, or changes in nearby farms (new buildings, new fields, etc.) are pushing animals out of old territory.

Since the first and only time we had issues with dogs getting taken/hurt was coyotes, the front yard has always been considered safe territory. I don't blame her for expecting it to stay that way. The coyotes (who we haven't seen hide nor hair of since they got the other dog, which is odd -- they were prolific in the weeks leading up to it) don't touch that area. That's why coyote is a question mark, though still possible. A fox or weasel wouldn't be impossible, either. We also have fishers, which can take down rabbits, porcupines, and deer fawns. Since they're wicked sneaky, we wouldn't know if we had them, either.

Granted, it's not like if a bird of prey swept down to get something, a human would be much good to stop it. That is what skeeves me out the most. The pack shot off into the woods in a frenzy, which is why she didn't have eyes specifically on the littlest one at the moment of absconsion. Of course, she's beating herself up plenty for it as it is.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Catalina » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:He was 7 lb soaking wet -- smaller than most rabbits around these parts. Boss has always had big dogs on the farm, but has had littler ones for 10 years with no issues. My guess is the big dogs scared off most of the predators and they're finally moving back in, or changes in nearby farms (new buildings, new fields, etc.) are pushing animals out of old territory.

Since the first and only time we had issues with dogs getting taken/hurt was coyotes, the front yard has always been considered safe territory. I don't blame her for expecting it to stay that way. The coyotes (who we haven't seen hide nor hair of since they got the other dog, which is odd -- they were prolific in the weeks leading up to it) don't touch that area. That's why coyote is a question mark, though still possible. A fox or weasel wouldn't be impossible, either. We also have fishers, which can take down rabbits, porcupines, and deer fawns. Since they're wicked sneaky, we wouldn't know if we had them, either.

Granted, it's not like if a bird of prey swept down to get something, a human would be much good to stop it. That is what skeeves me out the most. The pack shot off into the woods in a frenzy, which is why she didn't have eyes specifically on the littlest one at the moment of absconsion. Of course, she's beating herself up plenty for it as it is.

My guess is that human expansion is driving coyotes into areas where they didn't use to be a common sight. And a pack of coyotes would be savvy enough to lure the big dogs away while one or two coyotes use the confusion to grab a small dog.
Catalina

Postby Insane Crazy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Catalina wrote:My guess is that human expansion is driving coyotes into areas where they didn't use to be a common sight. And a pack of coyotes would be savvy enough to lure the big dogs away while one or two coyotes use the confusion to grab a small dog.

It's wild to realize that even rural expansion is contributing to this. We're talking additional farms, biiiig open tracts of land still, but the landscape is changing and has been for a while.

Right now we're down to mostly dogs under 20lb. The 40 lb fella is in fine fettle but can't hear a damn thing. I keep offering to get an Anatolian Shepherd or some such, but no takers yet...
Insane Crazy

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Really sorry to hear that IC. I can't believe it happened again to you guys, that's so sad :(

Fishercats are terrifying and could absolutely be the culprits, but they are mostly nocturnal. Also they scream like banshees at night sometimes so that's one way to know if you have them. Either way, wishing you and the other people at your farm the best.
Tessablue

Postby Catalina » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Tessablue wrote:Really sorry to hear that IC. I can't believe it happened again to you guys, that's so sad :(

Fishercats are terrifying and could absolutely be the culprits, but they are mostly nocturnal. Also they scream like banshees at night sometimes so that's one way to know if you have them. Either way, wishing you and the other people at your farm the best.

It's the dogs there that need better luck.
Catalina

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Somnambulist wrote:You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.

Semi-cool until you remember that we're basically in the middle of a mass extinction event.

That said, I need to watch Planet Earth 2 still.
starrydreamer

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around