The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Tessablue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Sorry for your loss, BL. It's clear Finn was loved and had a great life.

Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote:sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!

And now you wait to hear if it'll be accepted as is or what changes they would like to see? Good luck with the flu.

I give a public presentation next week, after which my committee "grills" me on my dissertation and suggests edits (they probably haven't read it). Then I make those edits, hand it in, and then I'm a doctor I guess. Exciting, but would be a lot more exciting if I could actually find a job in the next month or so. Was supposed to have funding over the summer but the NIH has, uh, run into some difficulties for some reason.

And thanks, you and peep... finally got over it but it was nasty. Feels like half of Boston is sick right now. This miserable weather certainly isn't helping.
Tessablue

Postby TapitsGal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm

My dog somehow fractured her tooth to the pulp yesterday. She went in for her yearly shots today and I had the vet look at her mouth. He said the tooth has GOT to come out. He quoted me at nearly $560 for the extraction of ONE tooth and that is minus the dental cleaning. If we leave the tooth in it will become infected abscessed or both in six months to a year. I am extremely limited income. My mom helps me out by paying for my dogs yearly vaccinations but anything extra beyond that I pay...im also on disability so yes I'm extremely stressed right now trying to figure out a way I can afford this surgery
TapitsGal

Postby starrydreamer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 pm

TapitsGal wrote:My dog somehow fractured her tooth to the pulp yesterday. She went in for her yearly shots today and I had the vet look at her mouth. He said the tooth has GOT to come out. He quoted me at nearly $560 for the extraction of ONE tooth and that is minus the dental cleaning. If we leave the tooth in it will become infected abscessed or both in six months to a year. I am extremely limited income. My mom helps me out by paying for my dogs yearly vaccinations but anything extra beyond that I pay...im also on disability so yes I'm extremely stressed right now trying to figure out a way I can afford this surgery

Holy COW. My dog had 15 teeth removed and it cost less than that. But I go to a vet clinic that also does payment plans and gives discounts if you are under a certain income level.

Do you have any other options?
starrydreamer

Postby TapitsGal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

So I'm right that price is obscene?
TapitsGal

Postby Catalina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:10 pm

TapitsGal wrote:So I'm right that price is obscene?

Shouldn't you then get on the ball and find a vet that charges less and/or is willing to work out a payment plan with you??? Your dog should not have to risk a painful infection much less losing her life while you're polling the internet whether that vet is overpriced or not.
Catalina

Postby Catalina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:My dog somehow fractured her tooth to the pulp yesterday. She went in for her yearly shots today and I had the vet look at her mouth. He said the tooth has GOT to come out. He quoted me at nearly $560 for the extraction of ONE tooth and that is minus the dental cleaning. If we leave the tooth in it will become infected abscessed or both in six months to a year. I am extremely limited income. My mom helps me out by paying for my dogs yearly vaccinations but anything extra beyond that I pay...im also on disability so yes I'm extremely stressed right now trying to figure out a way I can afford this surgery

Holy COW. My dog had 15 teeth removed and it cost less than that. But I go to a vet clinic that also does payment plans and gives discounts if you are under a certain income level.

In a person, getting a tooth out that has fractured to the pulp isn't simply an extraction but would get you referred to an oral surgeon.
Catalina

Postby War Admiral » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am

I think many vets would be willing to work out a payment plan with you. Have you discussed this with your vet?
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
War Admiral

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Catalina wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:

In a person, getting a tooth out that has fractured to the pulp isn't simply an extraction but would get you referred to an oral surgeon.

Indeed. I just had a vertical root fracture removed in the last two weeks by an oral surgeon. But still, I think TapitsGal should get a quote from another vet and/or see if the current vet does a payment plan. Because yeah, the dog needs that tooth out.
starrydreamer

Postby Catalina » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:48 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Catalina wrote:In a person, getting a tooth out that has fractured to the pulp isn't simply an extraction but would get you referred to an oral surgeon.

Indeed. I just had a vertical root fracture removed in the last two weeks by an oral surgeon. But still, I think TapitsGal should get a quote from another vet and/or see if the current vet does a payment plan. Because yeah, the dog needs that tooth out.

Yes, and getting it out sooner would probably be better than waiting a few months.
Catalina

Postby TapitsGal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 pm

She has an appointment for a second opinion on the 17th and is on antibiotics in the meantime
TapitsGal

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around