The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm

I have to be slightly unhappy to be happy so that is what it is. I like 70% of my job. The other 20% is just ugh, and the other 10% is upset because I can't sleep as late as I want and can't be someone's personal shopper.

I really wouldn't listen to people say anything about jobs. Everyone says the worst always. Nothing is really ever as bad as people make it out to be. You might not love your first job but you will milk it for all it's worth and then one day you will find something better. I'm a huge believer of job shopping every 1-2 years.

I only have a BA but the first few months out of college were truly the worst in my life. It's a strange transition back to the real world. You're so used to going 24/7 that your adrenaline is still high and everything is terribly unsure. Going from having all of my time organized down to the minute for study plans to having only the gym and Skyrim was uhm, difficult. I literally washed all the walls in my house with a rag because the idea of having nothing to drove me insane. I still don't like sitting around do much of nothing but I'm watching Archer pretty guilt free these days.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I have to be slightly unhappy to be happy so that is what it is. I like 70% of my job. The other 20% is just ugh, and the other 10% is upset because I can't sleep as late as I want and can't be someone's personal shopper.

I really wouldn't listen to people say anything about jobs. Everyone says the worst always. Nothing is really ever as bad as people make it out to be. You might not love your first job but you will milk it for all it's worth and then one day you will find something better. I'm a huge believer of job shopping every 1-2 years.

I only have a BA but the first few months out of college were truly the worst in my life. It's a strange transition back to the real world. You're so used to going 24/7 that your adrenaline is still high and everything is terribly unsure. Going from having all of my time organized down to the minute for study plans to having only the gym and Skyrim was uhm, difficult. I literally washed all the walls in my house with a rag because the idea of having nothing to drove me insane. I still don't like sitting around do much of nothing but I'm watching Archer pretty guilt free these days.
Oh man, is that what my problem is? I have some things to finish and I'm not leaving the lab for a at least a month, but I've completely lost my mind since my defense and I have no idea why. I haven't slept and I'm just constantly on the verge of losing it, even though I'm finished with what is ostensibly the most stressful part of the entire graduate career. But I went straight to grad school out of undergrad and I've never experienced this situation... and it probably doesn't help that my lease is up in August, I have no idea where my next job will be and also I have to get married one of these days. Really didn't plan this out well. But you're right, I just have to chill and realize that there are always going to be options. If I end up long-term unemployed despite having a life sciences PhD, it's just because I suck.

Guilt-free Archer is one of life's great joys!
Tessablue

Postby Starine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Tired of being broke and unhappy. Been applying to other jobs but no bites so far.

I'm also tired of feeling discouraged and hopeless. Depression blows.
Starine

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Tessablue wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I have to be slightly unhappy to be happy so that is what it is. I like 70% of my job. The other 20% is just ugh, and the other 10% is upset because I can't sleep as late as I want and can't be someone's personal shopper.

Oh man, is that what my problem is? I have some things to finish and I'm not leaving the lab for a at least a month, but I've completely lost my mind since my defense and I have no idea why. I haven't slept and I'm just constantly on the verge of losing it, even though I'm finished with what is ostensibly the most stressful part of the entire graduate career. But I went straight to grad school out of undergrad and I've never experienced this situation... and it probably doesn't help that my lease is up in August, I have no idea where my next job will be and also I have to get married one of these days. Really didn't plan this out well. But you're right, I just have to chill and realize that there are always going to be options. If I end up long-term unemployed despite having a life sciences PhD, it's just because I suck.

Guilt-free Archer is one of life's great joys!

You should all go to law school! You graduate with your JD and it's all woohoo, we survived! But oh, YOU'RE NOT DONE STUDYING. Because now you need to study for the bar exam, a final two day weeding out of the unworthy (because 1L year wasn't enough).

And then you take it (someone had a grand mal seizure during the exam when I took it) and have to wait a few months to find out if you passed. I'm still so thankful that I passed on the first try.

And then I promptly found a job that didn't require a license or a JD. :lol: And two other positions at the same company later, I have my dream job. I still get annoyed (because people and technology) but I get to correct other people's grammar and I'm using the things I learned in law school (and while studying for the bar).

My husband has a phD in physics and had some anxious moments about employment right away (he cannot just sit and do nothing for any length of time), but now he's an engineer and apparently everyone is hiring engineers.
starrydreamer

Postby Catalina » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Somnambulist wrote:[
May God be listening and may we all hit the super on Derby day.

If you're asking for a miracle, why not set your goal higher than that? The 2015 Derby superfecta paid $634.10, and last year's was even less than that.
Catalina

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Do you ever say anything positive, ever. Or is it fun to find the worst in everything to point it out.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Catalina » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 am

Somnambulist wrote:Do you ever say anything positive, ever. Or is it fun to find the worst in everything to point it out.

Frequently, but apparently not to you, at least not from your perspective.
Catalina

Postby Tessablue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

starrydreamer wrote:You should all go to law school! You graduate with your JD and it's all woohoo, we survived! But oh, YOU'RE NOT DONE STUDYING. Because now you need to study for the bar exam, a final two day weeding out of the unworthy (because 1L year wasn't enough).

And then you take it (someone had a grand mal seizure during the exam when I took it) and have to wait a few months to find out if you passed. I'm still so thankful that I passed on the first try.

And then I promptly found a job that didn't require a license or a JD. :lol: And two other positions at the same company later, I have my dream job. I still get annoyed (because people and technology) but I get to correct other people's grammar and I'm using the things I learned in law school (and while studying for the bar).

My husband has a phD in physics and had some anxious moments about employment right away (he cannot just sit and do nothing for any length of time), but now he's an engineer and apparently everyone is hiring engineers.

Haha too late, I lived with a lawyer for a year and know better already ;) That's awesome that you ended up with your dream job though! I just learned that my PI can keep me funded through at least June, with the option to end it at any point should I find a job, so that's a huge weight off my shoulders.

...and I'm not certain that a $600 superfecta is mathematically possible this year. Super payouts are heavily driven down when big favorites finish first, and the past two years have both featured heavily favored winners with second and third betting choices also hitting the board. This year is unlikely to produce a favorite lower than 5-1, and even if that favorite wins, the super is highly likely to pay out tens of thousands of dollars at minimum. I'd say from both logical and personal perspectives that there's no reason to throw cold water on that particular dream.
Tessablue

Postby Catalina » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Besides, you can always drive up the payout by betting more than the minimum amount. A successful single shot stab at a super (without fancy boxes) already would produce a nice chunk of change even off a ten buck investment.
Last edited by Catalina on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina

Postby Tessablue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Starine wrote:Tired of being broke and unhappy. Been applying to other jobs but no bites so far.

I'm also tired of feeling discouraged and hopeless. Depression blows.

Sorry to hear that... hope things turn around for you soon.
Tessablue

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around