The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.

Semi-cool until you remember that we're basically in the middle of a mass extinction event.

That said, I need to watch Planet Earth 2 still.

I have to make working in Manhattan tolerable in some way so I have to forget a lot.

The reality is morose but the fast track of evolution some predators are on is so insane that you can't help but marvel at it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.

Semi-cool until you remember that we're basically in the middle of a mass extinction event.

That said, I need to watch Planet Earth 2 still.

I have to make working in Manhattan tolerable in some way so I have to forget a lot.

The reality is morose but the fast track of evolution some predators are on is so insane that you can't help but marvel at it.

:lol: I worked in Manhattan for a few years, so I understand.

But yeah, it's interesting to see how species are adapting.
starrydreamer

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm not sure I hate anything more than bad management.

Except 3 day migraines.
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 pm

The two things may be one. The bad management brings on the three-day migraine?
Nice thing about being retired; I don't have to deal with lousy managers anymore. :P ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby peeptoad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm not sure I hate anything more than bad management.

Agreed. It's the prime reason (among several) that I am looking for other work. And it's not just bad... it's also corrupt, egotistical, and belligerent. Grrrr.
peeptoad

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 am

peeptoad wrote:

Agreed. It's the prime reason (among several) that I am looking for other work. And it's not just bad... it's also corrupt, egotistical, and belligerent. Grrrr.

Im flirting pretty heavily with the idea of getting a master's in Industrial Organizational Psych just so I can study bad management and then make it better. But school. Ugh.
Somnambulist

Postby Insane Crazy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

Im flirting pretty heavily with the idea of getting a master's in Industrial Organizational Psych just so I can study bad management and then make it better. But school. Ugh.

Yo! That'd be so cool! Do iiit.

But school. Ugh.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby peeptoad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

School ugh is right, lol.
I'm toying with using the formerly unused degree I got 25 years ago and becoming a fine artist living out of a ditch. No wait, maybe that would be worse with the current administration... :roll:
peeptoad

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm

peeptoad wrote:School ugh is right, lol.
I'm toying with using the formerly unused degree I got 25 years ago and becoming a fine artist living out of a ditch. No wait, maybe that would be worse with the current administration... :roll:

Or about the same. Yikes. As long as your art is cheap I'm willing to pledge. :D

My job is not well managed but they leave me alone to do my own thing. I'm off a bunch of days this week for doctors appointments. I waited four hours yesterday. A wait normally doesn't bother me because I'll read and I get it, stuff happens. But 4 hours? The clock management was just bad. The girl admitted to triple booking and I don't know how the doctor didn't kill her.

My boyfriend waits tables at a nice place and honestly, I can't believe the amount of money he takes home sometimes. At the really nice places in NYC these people bring home in a day or two what it takes me two weeks to make. I wish I didn't have RBF and liked people more. I think about going back to school but then I think about everything I'd have to give up (sleeping 8 hours a day, cutting back at the gym, reading for fun less, liking my life) and I become bristled.

May God be listening and may we all hit the super on Derby day.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Well, this is a great year for hitting a life-changing Derby super! That's my current life plan as well, unless peep and I get a ditch community going. Literally had one of my committee members yesterday say "you're awesome and you deserve a great job, but that doesn't mean you'll get one." This has all been so worth it...

Although honestly, as much as I have complained, grad school isn't a terrible deal so long as you end up in a good environment. I had an awesome PI who gave me a lot of freedom, and I got to travel the world basically for free while making discoveries that helped people. Not sure if that all balanced out the total lack of income/ job security/ worker's rights/ sleep/ mental well-being, compounded by crushing pressure and expectations... but it wasn't all bad. Would be nice if I could actually get a job out of it, though. No way in hell am I doing a postdoc, I'm not going to go through all of that again but with MORE pressure.

I hope everyone here finds a job that makes them happy (and also pays well).
Tessablue

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around