The VENT Thread

stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am

I hate commercial air travel. Seriously considering driving home from Georgia to Tampa instead of flying. At least I’d get to see all the babies in the fields around Ocala...
stark

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:I hate commercial air travel. Seriously considering driving home from Georgia to Tampa instead of flying. At least I’d get to see all the babies in the fields around Ocala...
That's a no-brainer, what's it take maybe 6 hours or so, enjoy it!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

I LOVE The Expanse on SyFy, and it has its two-hour season finale tonight. It's a tremendous series, with an interesting, intricate story, superior acting and great effects.
However, I am really, really upset to read that next season, The Expanse will only be shown on Amazon's streaming service. Frack. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
stark

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 am

Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

Starting July 1, restaurants in the Emerald City are now barred from providing customers plastic straws, cocktail picks or utensils unless someone specifically requests one. Then, a customer should be given a compostable option, according to Seattle Public Utilities.
starrydreamer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 pm

stark wrote:Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

Starting July 1, restaurants in the Emerald City are now barred from providing customers plastic straws, cocktail picks or utensils unless someone specifically requests one. Then, a customer should be given a compostable option, according to Seattle Public Utilities.
What's the vent here? That a city is trying to help the environment?

My vent is that ONE city doing this is going to do basically nothing. It needs to be the whole country. But hey, maybe they'll start a trend.
Catalina

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
stark wrote:Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

What's the vent here? That a city is trying to help the environment?

My vent is that ONE city doing this is going to do basically nothing. It needs to be the whole country. But hey, maybe they'll start a trend.
There's a few cities in Texas that managed to implement a law curbing the obiquituous free plastic bags your purchases get bagged in, often 1 or 2 items per bag. And, one of these cities even noted a marked decrease of those used miserable bags floating in the Gulf - only for the state to pass a new container law that in essence forbids having to pay for plastic bags at the checkout. Back to square 1....
stark

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Straws aren't the problem.
People are.
Creating laws, putting factories out of work for in-demand products, is not a solution.
It's busy work for politicians.

The UK has a 25 year plan for plastic polution, please wake me with an update in 2042, thanks.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... aste-plan/
starrydreamer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:37 pm

stark wrote:Straws aren't the problem.
People are.
Creating laws, putting factories out of work for in-demand products, is not a solution.
It's busy work for politicians.

The UK has a 25 year plan for plastic polution, please wake me with an update in 2042, thanks.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... aste-plan/
Yeah, people are the problem, but we can't get rid of people (if that we could...).

We CAN, however, get rid of plastic straws. And while that would put factory workers out of work for plastic straws, perhaps those same factories can start making paper straws, which do the same thing as plastic straws but have the added bonus of being biodegradable. There are plenty of plastic items for which there is no good alternative - but straws are definitely not one of them.
stark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 am

Just count the straws....amazing!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Just because straws may be too small to see in that photo, or small enough that wave action doesn't wash them ashore, doesn't mean that they don't add to the billions of plastic bits in the oceans.
They aren't necessary, so there is little excuse to keep adding them to the planet's plastic pollution. :roll:
stark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Just because straws may be too small to see in that photo, or small enough that wave action doesn't wash them ashore, doesn't mean that they don't add to the billions of plastic bits in the oceans.
They aren't necessary, so there is little excuse to keep adding them to the planet's plastic pollution. :roll:
Try telling that to somebody whose half their face doesn't function and they can't drink without one!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm

You don't need to tell me that. My elderly mother reached the point where she had trouble chewing any food, so straws were needed.
Paper straws would work for that purpose.
stark

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am

stark wrote:What's next???
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Miss America Organization is dropping the swimsuit competition from its nationally televised broadcast, saying it will no longer judge contestants on their appearance.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I don't know. Maybe women being hired based on their abilities and not on their looks, and paid the same as men in the same job? :P
And now there's an opinion from somebody like this to consider.....

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/miss-u ... d=56352460
stark

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Today's poll @ MSN.....

Would you support a ban on plastic drinking straws?
51%Yes
36%No
13%I don’t know
Total responses: 217,865 votes
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Does this ban only apply to the straws supplied at restaurants and fast food businesses? If so, that would still allow us to buy those specialty plastic straws at stores, suitable for those who have difficulties eating solid food.
stark

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Another MSN survey...

Do you use plastic drinking straws at home or when you eat out?
44%Yes
33%Sometimes
23%No
Total responses: 516,010 vote
WarBiscuit

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:21 pm

This whole Straw conversation sucks. Just revert to paper straws - they did the job just fine for thousands of years (yeah, the ancient Egyptians used straws made of Papyrus and Sycamore bark). I do see that Amazon advertises a biodegradable plastic straw for those who cannot give up plastic, but wish to be environmentally conscious. Probably not too many here remember the days of glass straws at soda fountains and restaurants. Safe only for those possessing a brain today...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 pm

More from MSN......

Would you support a ban on plastic drinking straws?
52%Yes
36%No
12%I don’t know
Total responses: 350,736 votes

I wonder if they told the voters that businesses will be passing on the new added costs similar to the 10cent rule for recyclable bags at the supermarkets?

And some exotic bars that serve umbrella drinks that require a straw.....they're thinking about going to reusable metal, hmmm!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 pm

I don't have to pay the 10 cents at the grocery store...because I started collecting reusable canvas bags years ago. The exception is the ONE paper bag I acquire each week for my kitchen rubbish bin. ;)